Wildfires Contained Near Reno, Nevada
The state of Nevada declared a state of emergency due to wildfire that, as of Saturday morning, had claimed one life and damaged 25 homes near Reno.
Inciweb indicates that the Caughlin fire started on Friday, November 18, and has affected a 2,000 acres, aided by erratic winds gusting up to 60 miles per hour. According to a Reuters report, the fire has been contained, but Fire Chief Michael Hernandez warned that "all it takes is a wind shift, and we're back to the races."
On Saturday morning, the City of Reno's Facebook page posted an update indicating that "At this point in time, fire is 65% contained. Residents will be allowed back in at noon today."
Some 9,500 residents were evacuated, said the Reuters report, and the National Guard and firefighters from California had been sent in to aid the firefighting effort. On the Senate floor, Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada discussed the fire, which he said that his son Leif could see from his house. "Winds are so strong," Reid said, "helicopters can't take off to assist in containing the fire."
You need to be logged in in order to post comments
Please use the log in option at the bottom of this page