Jordan A. Brown/TedNugent.com
The Motor City Madman: Rocking out the commentary, his Ted Offensive

Ted Nugent: Don't Change Redskins and Other Native Sports Team Nicknames, Won't Help 'My Indian BloodBrothers'

4/10/13

In an exclusive "Ted Offensive" commentary for WND.com this evening, rocker Ted Nugent, a.k.a. the Motor City Madman, takes "a tomahawk chop to political correctness."

In his brash way, Nugent, "an American rock ‘n’ roll, sporting and political activist icon," takes to task those who are up in arms over the use of Native sports nicknames such as Redskins, Braves and Chiefs. Waste of time, he laments.

Instead, "There are many other issues that should demand our attention instead of talking about how insensitive the 'Tomahawk Chop' is to Native Americans," he writes. He cites the epidemic rates of alcoholism, infant mortality, unemployment and suicide among American Indians as the real problems that deserve the attention. The Washington NFL team might drop the Redskins name, but will that help bring jobs to the people on Pine Ridge, where unemployment is said to be greater than 80 percent?

He states his credentials for being an authoritative voice for Indian country on this, too. "Because of my clean and sober, hands-on conservation bowhunting lifestyle and song 'The Great White Buffalo,' Native American tribes have invited me to teach their young people how to reconnect with the land and teach them how to bow hunt the mighty American bison. It was in their midst that I learned firsthand about the terrible problems facing my Indian BloodBrothers."

Read the Nuge's full commentary by clicking here.

What do you think of his argument? Please share your thoughts with ICTMN by commenting below.

Comments

bootanner's picture
bootanner
Submitted by bootanner on
Why do people still listen to this nut? Ted Nugent and his White Savior Complex, is reinforcing hundreds of years of non-Indians telling us what is best for us. We are fighting a 360 degree battle against many issues, negative portrayals in American society being one them. Racism should not be accepted or overlooked because we have many complex issues. Studies have shown that negative portrayals and marginalization in westernized culture of Native people hurt the self esteem of Indian people, which leads to depression, suicide, alcoholism, and other mental issues. That's great that Ted Nugent is going into Native communities, as he claims, to teach Native people bow hunting. But I'm sure he doesn't know how it feels to be a Native and have your people/culture mocked as entertainment for the enjoyment of non-Indians. I'm Native, and it sucks. Ted Nugent is the Native equivalent to Brad Paisley; just because you know someone from a different race, doesn't make you qualified to talk about racism from the perspective of the other.

laurel ferguson's picture
laurel ferguson
Submitted by laurel ferguson on
he is truly a madman. Elements of truth interspersed with his political spin make me wonder what his angle really is. Ted, can you teach me to speak the language of the Kanienkehaka? I thought not....

We all know of the issues he speaks of fisrt hand, why ICD chose to publish it is my question. WTF is wrong with you guys? I truly support the comment that he needs to earn that bonnet before he wears but I doubt it's real and initiated.

Kurt Kruggel's picture
Kurt Kruggel
Submitted by Kurt Kruggel on
I saw the lead in and was all set to be indignant and self-righteous before I actually read what The Tedster said. I have dear friends on Pine Ridge and the Santee Rez.'s. While I don't condone racism in any way, shape or form and don't see too much of sports team names like: The White Trash; Trailer Park Kings, The Honkies, or The Oppressors, I agree (and am surprised @ that!) with Mr. Nugent's cut-to-the-chase and knock off the mealy-mouthed b.s.opinions and stance. REAL problems he has listed. REAL solutions need to be identified and implemented to enable proud, strong, capable, loving, intelligent People to help themselves and improve the horrible stats and everyday, REAL Life problems.

JERK!!

David Velarde Jr.'s picture
David Velarde Jr.
Submitted by David Velarde Jr. on
The Motor City madman is out of line here. He needs to shut up and mind his own business, just like a White Guy he tells us we got bigger issues, last time I looked he had white skin and I have dark brown skin. He needs to butt out.

Ted Nugent Fan's picture
Ted Nugent Fan
Submitted by Ted Nugent Fan on
I would like to propose a "Native Ted Nugent Honoring Day". On a specific day and time of the year, everyone would go to their bathroom, and deficate at the same time, and while doing so, sing one of his songs and honor him while they do their business. Now, that would really honor him. We should also do that for a lot of other idiots like him, like all those who think they are honoring us by using names like - - - skins.

Hey Ted.... the word Redskin is a racist term. I hope I'm not going over your head too much, or using words that are too big here, if you need more time to think that is O.K., we can take this a little slower if you need to, I understand.

J.W.Kelly's picture
J.W.Kelly
Submitted by J.W.Kelly on
I really like the comments by other readers. I think Ted should mind his own business, stop wearing a headdress he didn't earn and stop using Native American Indian regalia to promote himself.

Emaa's picture
Emaa
Submitted by Emaa on
Very good. Allthough, I think it's much easier to check user and pass at the same time:SELECT * FROM users where unmesare='$username' AND password = $pass'Plus it's more secure because you don't let hackers now that the unmesare exisits you just display unmesare and/or password doesn't exist I don't understand the while in conjunction with mysql_fetch_assoc, doesn't work the same without the while?

Personally i think all this nicknames stuff is stupid, i think there are more issues that demand attention than the nicknames or mascots of sports teams. I agree partially with Ted, it won't change anything.

blackfeet's picture
blackfeet
Submitted by blackfeet on
I love the names of Redskin, Braves, and Chiefs! These are honorable names to be proud of. That's why teams choose these types of names. How in the world is that offensive to Native American Indians?! Being a "Mariner" is pretty awesome too so Seattle uses that name for its baseball team. Are Mariners offended by that? No, they are honored! I am an enrolled Blackfeet and I find this silly that Indians are making a big stink about this when they have SERIOUS issues they should be resolving instead.

Miss P.'s picture
Miss P.
Submitted by Miss P. on
It just goes to show how our media can veer off from things that are important. The weirder a person is or if they claim to care about "Natives" they get all the coverage they need, but if a real person is speaking up for our rights or trying to get a message out about our problems there is no coverage. Man, wake up America and quit falling into this game of drama for these overpaid, outdated celebrities!!

What a joke! What the hell does Ted Nerdgent know about hunting and appreciating the land that our people don't already know - NOTHING! Just another entitled white man pretending to be helpful. Im sure his great-grandmother was a Cherokee princess hence his sensitivity to the Native "condition". This guy is a racist jerk and has no business being given an ounce of recognition in a Native newspaper. How disappointing!

Sue Tasso's picture
Sue Tasso
Submitted by Sue Tasso on
I think, Ted Nugent's ignorance is a common problem in America. Some of the issues he mentioned does not minimize the importance of the Redskin usage amongst Americans!

Steve Lopez's picture
Steve Lopez
Submitted by Steve Lopez on
Ted's is right to say changing names will not help. Being a "skin", "injun", "savage" and a Mojave has never frightened me away from my Idenity, or my self worth. When will this war be vindicated and over. Taking your uniform away doesn't mean you still can't keep your honor, pride and dignity. I'm w

Steve Lopez's picture
Steve Lopez
Submitted by Steve Lopez on

Steve Lopez's picture
Steve Lopez
Submitted by Steve Lopez on

Donna L Boyle's picture
Donna L Boyle
Submitted by Donna L Boyle on
We all know that there are bigger problems than the use of an offensive term but to be truly EQUAL then we all must be treated as equal . When a school or sports team uses a racially offensive word for it's mascot or logo they are saying that race does not deserve the same respesct as all others . If you don't demand respect you will never get it and how can you fix any of the other problems if your not treated equal , not taken seriously and thought of as a thing for others to use for their own $$$ benefit . They make $$$ from the use of a negative native stereotype but wouldn't give a thought to putting their money where their mouth is to fix some of the more important problems that they will talk about just so they can ignore the mascot issue. ted nugent is a nut case and can only speak for himself and other nuts .

IDIOT

ML's picture
ML
Submitted by ML on
I'm no fan of Ted Nugent or the Redskins but the government has no business telling a privately owned and operated franchise what they can call themselves.

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
You're not my bloodbrother, Nugent and you wouldn't even be relevant if Americans didn't have a penchant for social/political oddities. I'd be willing to bet that he couldn't name the "tribes" that he "taught to hunt and reconnect with the land (as IF we have no relatives who know how to hunt, or we've ever lost our connection to the land). Nope, you're just another whiney, pissed-off redneck with a gun, Nugent, the very cause of the ongoing Native genocide.

nothin toya's picture
nothin toya
Submitted by nothin toya on
is it like rubbing it in the face and they mock the native americans by makeing them into mascots

nothin toya's picture
nothin toya
Submitted by nothin toya on

John Wesley Contway's picture
John Wesley Contway
Submitted by John Wesley Contway on
As a Lakota and mental health professional, in my opinion Ted Nugent fits the clinical category of an Anti-social Pesonality Disorder and Narcissist. I find it offensive that TN proclaims to advocate for ethnic people when he is one of the most offensive racists I have ever witnessed. How dare he say he represents my ethnicity in any capacity. He represents his self-serving agenda. JWContway