Johnny Depp as Tonto and Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger in a still from the upcoming film 'The Lone Ranger'

Armie Hammer: Native Americans Feel 'Lone Ranger' is 'Awesome'

4/23/13

With the final movie trailer now online (see it below) and the countdown to the July 3 release date heating up, the media blitz for Disney's Lone Ranger is on. The movie has generated controversy in Indian country due to the casting of Johnny Depp, and not a Native actor, in the role of Tonto. Armie Hammer, who plays the title character, recently gave his perspective on Native American reactions to the film, in an article in the L.A. Times.

The American Indians in the cast and crew, Hammer said, "were nothing but excited about it. They loved it—they're thrilled." He added that "it's so funny, because every Native American we talked to was like, 'This is awesome! I'm so excited.' And every white person we talked to was like, 'How dare you cast a non-Native American?' It’s like, the white people are the one who have the problem, but the Indians—the Native Americans—are like, 'This is great. We love it.'"

Comments

CL Marshall's picture
CL Marshall
Submitted by CL Marshall on
I think Johnny Depp has some Native blood, don't know what , but he isn't all white.

Native woman's picture
Native woman
Submitted by Native woman on
Well I don't know but we shall see just how good this movie in portraying Native Americans. Yes, I head Johnny Depp has some indian blood. But this movie is a remake of the old Lone Ranger. I remember watching the black and white version. Looking forward to seeing how this movie plays out.

G. Pago's picture
G. Pago
Submitted by G. Pago on
Depp is Comanche now, he's been adopted. (And to those who don't believe in the validity of the naturalization by adoption practices of various nations need not comment, please either become educated or just go back to your white culture.)

Larry Cesspooch's picture
Larry Cesspooch
Submitted by Larry Cesspooch on
Without seeing anymore then this trailer, I'M NOT EXPRESSED!!! Especially where Tonto is supposed to be on a vision quest and sees the Lone Ranger in a vision. The crow on Depp's head is a non-Indian concept of what we Natives wear everyday. I like Depp, but not in what I've seen.

Andrea Montoya's picture
Andrea Montoya
Submitted by Andrea Montoya on
All I got to say, Johnny and Armie have perfect chemistry in this film. That's what makes for a good movie foremost. Action packed adventure is what everyone should expect and you won't be disappointed!

Andrea Montoya's picture
Andrea Montoya
Submitted by Andrea Montoya on
All I got to say is Johnny and Armie have perfect chemistry and that's what makes for a perfect film. Action packed and everyone can count on that! Hi Ho Silver....