Food Network star Paula Deen, 66, faces more controversy.

In Legal Deposition, Paula Deen Confesses to Using 'N' Word, Telling Racist Jokes

6/19/13

The National Enquirer reports it has obtained video of Paula Deen's May 17 legal deposition in which she admits to making racial slurs, saying “Yes, of course” she uses the “N” word at work, and saying that a cute idea for her brother's wedding would have involved an all-black staff wearing bow ties and pretending to be slaves.

During her three-hour questioning, the celebrity chef reportedly attempted to cushion the blow of her alleged racist remarks by saying, “It’s just what they are—they’re jokes…most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks…I can’t determine what offends another person.”

And concerning her inspiration for the slavery-themed wedding of her brother Earl “Bubba” Hiers, she explains a recent restaurant visit simply sparked the idea:

“The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie.

I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves.”

Deen ultimately ruled out the idea, fearing the media would criticize her concept as something racist.

The deposition in which Deen made the alleged admissions is part of a $1.2 million lawsuit brought by Lisa Jackson, the former manager of the Savannah, Georgia-based restaurant Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House (in 2005) run by Deen and Hiers.

In her suit, Jackson alleges Deen said, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”

Comments

John Deere's picture
John Deere
Submitted by John Deere on
Aww Jeesh we have come a long way from slavery,everybody uses the name niggar,they use white trash, whitey,BFD sticks an stones!!

Francis Coker's picture
Francis Coker
Submitted by Francis Coker on
But we all in one way or the other may have done wrong.....We are all Brother and Sister in Christ.

chirper1957's picture
chirper1957
Submitted by chirper1957 on
paula I live in Utah and im behind you 100 percent. its ok for the rap singers to call us crackers and each other the n word so one person gets dropped from tv. b- crap paula is the best cooking show on tv and a great person

Ellen Holland's picture
Ellen Holland
Submitted by Ellen Holland on
I did t know why Paula Deem was fired until just a few hrs ago but I think that she is a total Phony & didn't like or watch her Show anyway!!

shakti's picture
shakti
Submitted by shakti on
she was not being a racist or acting out on a racist. i am brown i am indian. if im called a brown indian girl i do not think thats racist. its more racist when indians have told me you are brown so ugly only lighter skinned of us are pretty. now that is racist. but i cannot bring a suit on them. you should be allowed to speak, chris rock says the n word all the time. paula is targetted as she is white

Kirk Reid
Kirk Reid
Submitted by Kirk Reid on
I will not judge her for her comments. However, I do feel they were in poor taste. Let's keep it real. The world itself still has cultural biases that we have not overcome. Color of skin, style of clothes, sexual preferences, religion, etc. Some things have gotten better over the years but we as a nation are still leap years away. Many walk the face of the earth smiling in each other faces but secretly still harboring racism. I myself was very militant growing up. I didn't understand the big picture. I had hatred without even knowing why. I hated people because they hated me without even knowing me simply because of the color of my skin. But I grew up and realized that it's there loss, not mine. So I now have love for all races as well as other forms of differences. It doesn't mean I agree with some things but it means that I understand and realize that people are people and they will do what's within them. Paula is what she is. She's a product of her environment. What she said was what was within her and no matter how she tries to cover it up, it is what it is. Do I think it should ruin her livelihood? No, but if you jump in the middle of a fire you can't blame others for why you got third degree burns. She made her choices and they came back to bite her. Now she has to figure out how to repair the broken fences. It won't be easy.

aida del villar's picture
aida del villar
Submitted by aida del villar on
Paula stated the truth and she did something all of us have done in our life time call others very nasty names. Paula was the only one that I know of to state the truth and did not even think about what this would do to her. We are all guilty of saying the wrong thing once or twice and sometimes more in our life time. Paula was made the one to blame and this is sad.

If she is that dumb to open her big mouth like that, well I don't no what else to say.

hunter hodge's picture
hunter hodge
Submitted by hunter hodge on
Lots of hateful people out there. Paula's not one of them. Just good fodder for hateful people. Good luck Paula.

Rappers say the N word in every other word of their music, but they are black. I think the F word is just as bad as the N word, and they use that word too. Why? Why are they not racist? Why is there not the intelligence to use words other than these. It used to be ok to apologize, get on with your life, start over. You are saying this is something that will go with Paula throughout her life and possibly her grandchildren's lives? Why? You might as well of taken a gun to her head. What is wrong with this country?

M Holmes's picture
M Holmes
Submitted by M Holmes on
Rappers use the N word regularly throughout their music. They also call the whites, crackers. Why are they not racist? You used to be able to apologize, start over, be forgiven, what happened? Paula, I am behind you!

sweetgrass777's picture
sweetgrass777
Submitted by sweetgrass777 on
You know after reading all of these comments I decided to look up the etymology of the term. According to my research the word although it mean a person of darker skin without the negative connotation I also found this " It was not used as a term exclusively for blacks among mountain men during this period, as Indians, Mexicans, and Frenchmen and Anglos alike could be a "niggur". I have very mixed feelings about Paula Deen. I think she is talented and reminded me of that down home Southern culture that I am proud of. The positive aspects of it. Nothing to do with being a particular color. We just cannot get over this. We have to let it go. Yes we have all said things. I have said things about people of all color, sizes, shapes, sexual orientation and even family members when they piss me off. Hey....I call em as I see em. Not that is right but I do not discriminate when it comes to words when I am pissed of at someone. I think we have all done it. Everything is about economics and politics in America. Just as Brad Pitt stated in one of his movies that I watched a while back is that America is a Business not a country. So...Paula said some things that may hurt these companies financially then they did what they had to do in their best interest not hers. If Black Americans call themselves the N word then guess what....that is their business. It is not hurting them economically. If no one makes a big stink about Native Americans being called a racial slur then maybe it's because they are politically weak and do not have the purchase power of Black Americans. I am just saying this because we must understand how America functions. Paula Deen while she may not be an outright racist still has to realize that it is not about what she said years ago but how it will impact these companies in their pockets. Ok this is a lesson on economics 101 folks and how America works. Also some of the comments here make me wonder what are peoples true interest here on this site. I have seen many accounts of Native American being racially attacked lately and called "Niggers", there was the young men in California and Nevada a while back, some other Native woman as well. Not to mention the Navajo man that had a swaztika burned into his skin and the Elder that supposedly had KKK carved into his body at the hospital by a sick person. I followed these stories very carefully. When the teen was beaten an called a "Nigger" by his white attackers and the story posted on here there were very few comments or post to support these people???? What happened???? It was almost as if everyone was mum. Almost embarrassed that a Native American was beaten and called the "N" Word. Where was the support for these Native people who went through far more than Paula Deen did Physically and Emotionally???? But then you come to the aid of a "white woman" who uses the word? Just show how pathetic we Native people are. I don't think anyone Red, purple, black or white should be called any type of bad name based on their ethnicity. It shows how phony and superficial American people are. All of you. If Paula keeps here endorsements and business or not it does not really matter to me because I have to go out and work everyday to support my family. I do not and many of you ignorant people here do not have the money she has. So who really cares. I think Native people should stay focused on issues in the Native Community and our history and trying to preserve it. One white woman who said something wrong 20 years ago does not need to take up this much time and space on this site. I also see that it has drawn out some hateful people who want to use it to post their angry comments here. I now think we know who the real "N" are.

Emet Natsari
Emet Natsari
Submitted by Emet Natsari on
Little Miss Piggy. Head of the Oink Oink Society. Just look at her. The epitome of what NOT to eat, to say, to think, to become like, to act like, and definitely not to work for. A complete Southern style sphincter.