(Gary Wiepert/AP via NPR)
Wallenda, crossing sacred lands on Navajo.

'Flying' Wallenda Didn't Walk Across Grand Canyon, Says Navajo

6/24/13

"Mr. Wallenda needs to buy a GPS or somebody give this guy a map,"  Milton Tso, president of the Cameron community on the Navajo Nation told the New York Post. "He's not walking across the Grand Canyon. He's walking across the Little Colorado River Gorge on the Navajo Nation. It's misleading and false advertising."

And now the daredevil wants to take New York City. Will he instead climb over Hoboken?

Maybe not. Indeed, New York City, look out. Or Up. Nik Wallenda, a scion of the famous Flying Wallendas family, successfully walked across a tightrope spanning the Little Colorado River in Navajo Nation land last night. And now he wants to dangle over NYC, reports the New York Post.

Wallenda said he next wants to stroll the skies between the Empire State and Chrysler buildings in NYC— a space of some nine city blocks, says the Post. If he gets permission, the walk would be 4,000 feet, more than triple the length of Sunday's stunt. But did he indeed cross the Grand Canyon, a feat even Evel Knievel never accomplished?

Who cares, says the Navajo. "When people watch this, our main thing is we want the world to know who Navajo people are, our culture, traditions and language are still very much alive," Geri Hongeva, spokeswoman for the tribe's Division of Natural Resources, said before the walk.

Read the entire New York Post article HERE.

Fitness is key for Wallenda, obviously. (Getty Images)

Comments

So What Milton Tso's picture
So What Milton Tso
Submitted by So What Milton Tso on
He brought money to your impoverished community and maybe some publicity. Soon you will have the Tram in your back yard and then you can cry.

SusieB's picture
SusieB
Submitted by SusieB on
Don't worry, Mr Tso, we learned a lot about you personally...rude, egotistic, belittling of others, and very unkind. About Navajos...nothing I hope.

how is him crossing over that part of the canyon have anything to do with the navajo traditions and language??? it is just advertising and i found it sickening! the navajo people should not be all up in the glam of all of this, if anything they should keep their land sacred and out of the media attention for any fool who wants to make "world records" and filming of movies!

Steven Costa's picture
Steven Costa
Submitted by Steven Costa on
The man is very good at what he does, but he should be very careful pushing the envelope. God Bless him the future.

Felipe C Perez's picture
Felipe C Perez
Submitted by Felipe C Perez on
Is it posible that navajo and Hopi,Apache and other tribes once lived together in AZTLAN (around the four corners where Utah,Colorado Arizona and New Mexico meet)and that in 1064 AD they separated due to the explossion of a volcano (See the great Crater in Arizona) The tribes that went south (looking for the promised land offered by their god Witzilopochtly and the signal that will identify the place, an eagle on a nopal cactus on an island eating a snake where they were to built a cyty "The Great Tenochtitlan"actual Mexico City) the tribes that went south were: Xochimilcas,Tlahuicas,Alcohoas,Tlaxcalans,tepanecs,Chalcas,and Mexicas who will later will change their name to AZTECS after they left Chicomoztoc ( in Jalisco state in Mexico lost until now) they arrived to a place they called AZTLAN (New Aztlan) In Michoacan State in Mexico also lost until now,I am from A town in Jalisco that looks pretty much as the picture the tribes left that identifies Chicomoztoc with a "Curbed Hill" just as described in the codex and the "History of Toltec-Chichimec tribes" the tribes that remainded in Aztlan where:Comanche,Yaqui,Pima,Kawailsu,Cahuila,Serrano,Tubatulabal,Ute,Paiute,Tohono,Goshiute,Cupelo,Juanerio,Gabrielino Shosone,Hopi,Panamint,Chemehuevi,Luiseno,Kitenemuk,Tataviam and Navajo, I have the coordenates of Chicomoztoc and Aztlan and New Aztlan,this is my theory which I formed with information of various codex and the knowledge that I have having been borned in a "Cave of Chicomoztoc",Chicomoztoc in Nahuatl language (Spoken by the 7 tribes that went south ) means "Place of the seven Caves" Thank you

Cindy Riendfliesch's picture
Cindy Riendfliesch
Submitted by Cindy Riendfliesch on
I here You.....I don't know much about what's what as far as the Grand Canyon other than it is an extremely beautiful sight. Visited there some years back and was truly blown away at the view and sights. Pictures really don't do the Grand Canyon any Justice. I am not of any Indian culture, but truly support all the Tribal Nations.

Jim warner's picture
Jim warner
Submitted by Jim warner on
I'll tell you one thing, the Navajo have some of the most beautiful artwork. Still searching for my tribe.

twstew1's picture
twstew1
Submitted by twstew1 on
I have question did this Man know where he was or did he have a contract with Producers of his walk? Then the Problem with Location Idenfication was not necessarily The Man but may be Big Corporate Sales People. Who only know one Thing Sell a show and snub the details. His walk was what it was Believe you me I would not have tried it if were even able to I mean a Performer of the Like. But Snubbing the Navajos People I agree that's rude but things such as this is nothing New for American Society no matter what News Media Publishes are there Lies which is always easier.

twstew1's picture