Ohio University’s Students Teaching About Racism
One of the posters from this year's Culture Not a Costume campaign.

6 Costumes Nobody Should Wear This Halloween or Ever

10/31/13

To educate students and staff, the University of Colorado Boulder is again partnering with Ohio University’s Students Teaching About Racism (S.T.A.R.) to show people what not to wear for Halloween.

The Center for Multicultural Affairs started hanging posters created by S.T.A.R. on Tuesday, October 24 to remind students of how their costume choices can affect others, reported the Daily Camera.

“The CU-Boulder community has in the past witnessed and been impacted by people who dressed in costumes that included blackface or sombreros/serapes; people have also chosen costumes that portray particular cultural identities as overly sexualized, such as geishas, ‘squaws,’ or stereotypical, such as cowboys and Indians,” says a release from the University of Colorado.

“It’s really a campaign to raise awareness and to create a better sense of community for all of our students and how to have a respectful and inclusive community for all students here at CU,” Randy McCrillis, who became the Center for Multicultural Affairs director in September, told the Daily Camera.

The posters show multicultural students surrounding one student dressed in a costume that is supposed to represent them.

Here are six ways not to dress this Halloween, and if you see a friend dressed like this, please say something:

This poster is from the 2012 campaign:

This is from the S.T.A.R. 2011 poster campaign:

RELATED: We're a Culture, Not a Costume Campaign Features Native American

Comments

Toni Kilgore's picture
Toni Kilgore
Submitted by Toni Kilgore on
Everyone needs to get off the pity train. I am multi cultural. My Indian side does not resent someone dressing in Moccasins and buckskins and beads. My Irish doesn't resent when someone dresses like a leprechaun. My Texas pride is not offended if someone dresses in boots and Stetson. My English doesn't care if you dress like Royalty. As long as it is done with respect, and not a blatant insulting characterization, there is no harm in dressing like any culture, or character.

i think this whole thing is going too far , i love indians and cowboys , I wear moccossins , Halloween is a fun day to be who or what you want , people who are taking offense all of a sudden have a problem , thats my take on this .

Kerin Gould, PhD's picture
Kerin Gould, PhD
Submitted by Kerin Gould, PhD on
I just saw someone in the grocery store wearing exactly that "Mexican" outfit. I went to customer service to suggest the company discuss that before next halloween.

lets not have a chicken costume or a anything resembling any one thing this is rediculus people are too touchy this racial crap gone to extreme

Romina's picture
Romina
Submitted by Romina on
I don't really think this is right. This only hides discrimination, doesn't eliminate it. I mean, I live in Argentina and I see we really really hide our forms of discrimination in public, but we still discriminate. And we don't hide for example, jokes and commentaries about black people, because we don't discriminate by skin colour. I think if USA people discriminate hispanics and chinese and black people, by hiding it, you are just going to a "non assumed discrimination", and I think this is worst because people repeats "I don't discriminate" until they really believe it, and this leads to the more dangerous forms of discrimination. Something like "All black people has to go to jail, but no because they are black, but because they are all criminals, I have seen it case by case".

Norwegian Culture's picture
Norwegian Culture
Submitted by Norwegian Culture on
If we all are going to play the race card for eternity there had better be a person dressed as a Viking up there too or I will call the ACLU and initiate a discrimination case. Everyone needs to build a bridge and get over themselves. Last time I checked we are ALL Homo Sapiens. Celebrate your culture, don't hide behind it and play the martyr.

Fat Hillary's picture
Fat Hillary
Submitted by Fat Hillary on
Seriously people....get a life and quit being so sensitive about stuff....Worry about the things that take lives...Disease,war,poverty....going to water dayse some gringo dresses like pedro is a waste of good outrage

To anybody who feels the need to get over racism and over themselves GREAT and Kudos to YOU ALL!!! Life is better when we ignore the fact that minorities have a harder time getting jobs, oh and then we have to forget the gender differences when discrimination comes into play. YEAH why not because it doesn't effect anybody's mental state, finances, and jobs. Lets play Pretend and take the HIGH road to ignorance. =)