Photo by JTPro Imaging, courtesy Crystle Lightning

Exclusive! Preview of Crystle Lightning's 2014 Calendar [6 Pictures]

10/31/13

Crystle Lightning is having a big year. Her hip hop group LightningCloud won a contest that put them in the studio with noted rap producer Timbaland, and a LightningCloud Single was featured on an episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians; on the acting front, Crystle appeared in an episode of Southland and wrapped a performance in Death Factory, a horror film (currently in post-production) by Native auteur Steven Paul Judd. But why be double trouble when you can be a triple threat? That seems to be reason enough to put out her first calendar (available for pre-order at the CrystleLightning.com store) -- but don't take our word for it. We caught up with the model/actress/musician and got her thoughts on this latest project.

Photo by JTPro Imaging, courtesy Crystle Lightning

When did you decide to make a calendar, and why?

I can now cross "Crystle Lightning Calendar" off my bucket list. I've wanted to make my own calendar for the last 5 years, but wondered How can I do this? This year i finally just said, Nothing to it, but to do it! I wanted a memento to look back, something to show my children and grandchildren when that time comes.  I also looked at this as an opportunity to play dress up twelve different times. Each month showcases a different part of my personality. It is something I am very proud of. I accomplished what I set out to do.

Photo by JTPro Imaging, courtesy Crystle Lightning

Who did you work with on this calendar?

I worked mainly with Josh Tousey of JT ProImaging. Josh shot the majority of the months. He is very patient and easy to photograph with. His lovely wife and makeup artist, Jennifer Tousey, did most of my make up. She can sure make me look good. She nailed every one of my visions down to the T. They also helped me come up with concepts and locations. I also worked with a few other photographers on the calendar -- Gea Images and David Albert Habif, who are both exceptional. Every photographer gives you a different experience. They each see differently through their camera lenses. Ray Rivera of Pahi Creative did all formatting for the calendar and is extremely talented and quick!

Photo by Gea Images, courtesy Crystle Lightning

This calendar is just one aspect of a busy fall you're having -- can you give us an update on your other pursuits?

Funny you ask, just yesterday I had an audition for a TV show where I had to play a paranoid-schiophrenic who escaped a mental hospital and is on the run. That character challenged me as an actress and I live for that -- I wasn't the "hot girl" or anything of the sort. Whether I get the role or not is irrelevant; I got the chance to exercise my acting muscle -- for me, thats a win-win.

As far as music -- LightningCloud (which is MC RedCloud and I, along side DJ Hydroe) will be releasing a new track we recorded, produced by ledgendary producer Timbaland. The song and video is scheduled to drop November 18 for a free download on Soundcloud. We are currently in the studio working and recording with Producer DJ DNA (Justin Adams). We're spending endless hours in the studio, working on new music. Prepare to be entertained!

Photo by JTPro Imaging, courtesy Crystle Lightning
Photo by JTPro Imaging, courtesy Crystle Lightning
Photo by JTPro Imaging, courtesy Crystle Lightning

Comments

bettyboop's picture
bettyboop
Submitted by bettyboop on
Wow --- what a great role model for our Native girls to look up to - NOT!

Big J's picture
Big J
Submitted by Big J on
She is absolutely gorgeous...but they make her look trashy not classly...I would be ashamed if I were wanting to show this to my kids someday. Boobs half hanging out...looking like a hoooker. This is teenage type stuff. Grow up....don't grow out to be another Hollywood vine!

Big J's picture
Big J
Submitted by Big J on
Yes this girl is gorgeous! But pleeeeeze..i wanna be able to show this to my kids someday? Looks like a hooker/bimbo...why would you do this to stand out? Well mission accomplished. Grow up! Don't be a growing Hollywood vine!

CMills's picture
CMills
Submitted by CMills on
What a transparent way to announce you feel your own life needs more work by making jabs at someone else who goes for it. Lightning is an excellent role model. She is full of heart & passion, very caring, and works unbelievably hard to pursue her goals. A person who has the guts to chase their dreams always sets an excellent example. Prepare to see her go much further & let it inspire you rather than make you critical.

CMills's picture
CMills
Submitted by CMills on

LaVerne's picture
LaVerne
Submitted by LaVerne on
This is another example of assimilation into a society that we never should have been.

Tammie Rae's picture
Tammie Rae
Submitted by Tammie Rae on
Well I think that these photos are creative and show an artists expression. Not offended by no means. Would I show my 7 year old son these pictures? Heck no. But I can appreciate a young Native American woman doing her thing and expressing herself in her own way. Crystal Lightning, you go girl!

Bruno's picture
Bruno
Submitted by Bruno on
Looks very promising. What a beautiful, esthetic and talented woman! Glad she realized her dream to make a calender!

Dani 's picture
Dani
Submitted by Dani on
WOW, people... Its a calendar, not a book for your damn kids! You people who are being critical are just jealous of the beauty and opportunity. Who takes the time out of their day to check out this post; just to crap on it? A lot of negative words come to mind, but... I will go with: IGNORANT ASSHOLE! Is she a good role model for kids? YES, she is! For anyone who knows Crystle, I do not have to explain... the rest of you... what kind of role model are you? Check yourself! What is the problem with wearing a bathing suit? If you critical assholes looked that good in my swimsuit, you would take pictures ALL DAY LONG! What have you done that is great in your life? I will assume the opposite of great. Calling a PERSON a bimbo/hooker, because they made an awesome calendar is fu*king detestable! You critical ass-fucks are the ones who need to grow up. This is great work by both, photographer AND MODEL!