Superheroes, animals, robots, monsters, a race of people -- which of these things shouldn't be a costume?

What a Crest Toothpaste Commercial Can Teach Us About Racism

11/6/13

In the past couple of weeks, ICTMN has published a number of stories about the harmful effects of American Indian Halloween costumes, and we're also tracking the controversy over Native sports mascots, particularly with our coverage of the Washington Redskins. Many readers see costumes and mascots as a big deal; others tell us to lighten up. They say it's "just a costume" or "just a mascot." This Halloween-themed Crest commercial blipped onto our radar, and it's a very clear illustration of what, exactly, the big deal is when it comes to costumes and mascots.

There are at least 12 children wearing costumes in this video. We'll run down the list, saving the important one for last:

Triceratops: A dinosaur that went extinct 65 million years ago.
Ninja: A master of matial arts from feudal Japan. Ninjas ceased to exist sometime in the 17th century.
Cow: A farm animal.
Bumblebee: An insect.
Skeleton: The human skeletal system.
Flower: A plant.
Werewolf: A fictional monster.
Boxer: An athlete.
Goth princess (?): A young lady wearing ghostly white makeup, and dressed in a princess outfit with spiky gloves and headband (forgive us, we're not really sure what this one is).
Space Alien: A fictional inhabitant of another planet.
Robot: A humanoid machine with artificial intelligence.
Chick: A baby chicken.
American Indian: A race of people.

What's wrong with this picture? All but one of the kids are dressed as things that are imaginary, or historical (if not extinct), or whimsical, or generic. Just one of them is attired as a stand-in for a living people -- a living people who are still living, despite the U.S. government's efforts to kill them off. And yes, some of these people do, today, wear a feather headdress or paint their faces in ceremonial gatherings, although many do not.

Kids look cute dressed as bumblebees, or robots, or ninjas, and there's little danger that their fertile minds will form opinions about these things they will carry into adulthood. But what of the little Indian? What does his costume teach? If this is what an Indian looks like, does that define, for children, what all Indians are? Can an Indian be a lawyer? Do Indians live in houses? Do Indians speak proper English, drive cars, or even wear underwear? (And how come he doesn't have a dead crow on his head like in the movie?)

It's simply irresponsible to take a diverse and modern population -- a whole race -- and sum it up in a cartoony dime-store costume for a seven-year-old child. Racism, most often, starts at home, and while allowing a kid to dress as "an Indian" seems less controversial than allowing a kid to dress as "an African American" or "an Asian," it's the same thing. Parents (and the people at Crest toothpaste) might not feel they are maliciously reducing Native Americans to a stereotype -- but malice or not, it's exactly what they are doing when they permit such a costume, and it's an insensitivity about race they're instilling in the young.

There's a reason why so many Americans struggle to see the racism that American Indians feel on a daily basis: It's always been there. It's been there since we were all kids. We grew up with it.

Halloween 2013 is in the books, but there's always next year. Why not simply leave the plastic-wrapped Indian costume on the drugstore rack and pick something else -- an animal, a superhero, a monster, a profession? If people were to stop buying Indian costumes, perhaps manufacturers would stop making them.

Comments

Donlyn Arbuthnot's picture
Donlyn Arbuthnot
Submitted by Donlyn Arbuthnot on
I'm a white woman who lurks on your Facebook page. I wish to see all the damage that my family has done in the past to the Native Peoples to be healed and made right. I see this excellent article as "preaching to the choir" here. Not a bad thing, it's just that those who need to hear it the most will never see it. For this reason, I'm sharing this with everyone that I know. If I can get through to one ignorant Non-native person, I won't stop, but keep fighting for YOUR right for respect and humanity! Don't give up!

Diana's picture
Diana
Submitted by Diana on
Who's the white kid in the African-American costume next to the one American Indian costume? Exactly....

WTF's picture
WTF
Submitted by WTF on
This is the stupidest thing I ever heard! I am of the Kiowa nation and see nothing wrong with this.their kids doing a commercial. If the little indian had a beer can or a casino shirt on then yeah, but it's kids playing dress up. I wanted to b a cow boy growing up. To me the only native people that get offended by this are ones who who never had traditional up bringings. Apples. Natives do not go around nitpicking things to cry around about. We are worriers and we do not whine about a kid dressing like a indian. How do you dress? Do you where the native clothes? I bet you don't. You wear wat the so called white man clothes like everyone else! Your education made you stupid. Go learn your native ways and learn real natives are loving, ppl like you our own kind make us savages!!!!

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
I've heard too many NDNs say that we're nitpicking when we complain about these things, but you'll never get respect unless you demand it. Certainly there is a world of difference between a multi-million dollar sports franchaise and a little kid's Halloween costume, right? No, Someone is making a LOT of money on these costumes and you can bet it's NOT an NDN! M. Garlind Burton decries the use of the N-word by young African-Americans in her book, "Never Say Nigger Again." She rightly points out that it is impossible to gain respect unless we respect ourselves first. My children (and now, grandchildren) would NEVER dress up as Asians, Mexicans, Germans or Italians why is it okay for for other ethnicities or cultures to mock ours?

ChanTlalok Rain-Cadena Castro's picture
ChanTlalok Rain...
Submitted by ChanTlalok Rain... on
My sacred spirit says it's okay, because only the Great Holy Mystery/Wakan Tanka knows what beautiful and positive effects these costumes, mascots, etc., etc., will have on the present and future generation. I also had a cowboy and indian outfit 57 years ago and I have fond memories of playing cowboys and Indians with my White friends in Detroit, Michigan. I am Lipan Apache mixed with Chichimeca/Mexica erroneously coined Aztec. My first name means Rain of Ancient Fire, let us all return to the Ancient ways, especially finding Beauty in all things. Ahoo/Tiaui, Love you all especially my Native bros & sisters all over Mother Earth.

harvey wheaton 's picture
harvey wheaton
Submitted by harvey wheaton on
im an Alaska native Tlingit the only thing I see wrong with all commercials is that there are never any Indians on any that I know of, they are mostly white and black Im almost 60 years old when I was growing up in Juneau Alaska I can remember old signs that said no Indians allowed and restrooms where the same way, so I know what racism is all about, if you think you have it tough just because of this commercial try being a half breed.it has been hard living on both sides of the fence. I should know I am a half breed.