Thinkstock

Miley Cyrus Is 21 and Has a $25,000 Tipi in Her Backyard

11/28/13

Miley Cyrus recently celebrated her 21st birthday, and in the wake of wild festivities at Beacher's Madhouse she seems to have added a guest house of sorts -- a tepee that is said to sleep four now occupies her back yard.

As we've seen before, tepees have been fashionable as both hipster sanctuaries and celebrity dwellings (Kate Moss put guests up in tepees at her 2011 wedding). It's possibe Cyrus believes the tepee is another way of getting in tune with her plausible Native heritage -- to go with the dreamcatcher and crossed arrows she has tattooed on her body (see below).

But that's speculation. Sometimes a $25,000 tepee in your back yard -- yes, that's what it cost -- is just a $25,000 tepee in your back yard.

Miley Cyrus' dreamcatcher tattoo. Source: StealHerStyle.net
Miley Cyrus' crossed-arrows tattoo. Source: StealHerStyle.net

Comments

marcia 's picture
marcia
Submitted by marcia on
well she got ripped off if she paid that price for a teepee and if she is proud of her heritage then at lest bring awareness and help the First Nations pple and put that money to good use instead of wasting it on a teepee ...imagine who many kids that need coats and heating oil and housing ....just go ask Pineridge or any other native community and see what money can do for pple ..just saying i like her but come on look beyond urself esp if ur in the position to do so !

Darryl Hannah has lived in one for years too... but she's down with Idle No More & fighting the fracking energy corps. Miley tries to do the coolest thing she can think of, to gain popularity. Jest like most Americans.

angelo achakus it means"starr"'s picture
angelo achakus ...
Submitted by angelo achakus ... on
i think every body trying to native e saying there native for one ur not native man if u trying to hard there ppl

I love it

R. E. Blair's picture
R. E. Blair
Submitted by R. E. Blair on
Uh, from the looks of her I'd say that I'd be closer to being a Native American than she is

CDeezy's picture
CDeezy
Submitted by CDeezy on
Well If you do some research her and her stupid looking brother AND dad are NOT NATIVE AMERICAN........They are bullshit They know nothing about our lifestyle/culture...WOW your fucking dads buddy a long time ago was native.....THATS IT...

Millycyrus doesn't even deceive a tipi's picture
Millycyrus does...
Submitted by Millycyrus does... on
We should've sold her one for fifty gs and said it was "authentic" lol

cochamy 's picture
cochamy
Submitted by cochamy on
Is it really that important what miley has in her back yard or what tattoo she has .I mean if I had a ship in mine and put on a pirate hat would that make me a pirate,I don't think so .Remember not everyone can be native American and I think most people to claim Cherokee because they are so uneducated on the native americans .I think if she really wanted to make statement she should have give to some of the rez that need the money .

She must be ndn on her dad side ,her mother isn't at all , shes from wva. we new quite a bit about her .

Chels24's picture
Chels24
Submitted by Chels24 on
Psh!!! She ain't native that's a bunch of bogus b/s, such a waist of money! Being native is the new thing I suppose look at our old traditional clothing..Ppl wearing moccs and muks....psh!! get that shit off !!

forgedinsteel's picture
forgedinsteel
Submitted by forgedinsteel on
Another white person trying to be one of us.That just makes me sick.

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
I don't like Miley Cyrus, but unless it's hurting someone, I don't see why I should care what she has in her backyard. I just wish that some of these rich, famous, White people who like to claim they're NDN would pick the torch and help some real NDNs out. It wouldn't take much, even a word in support would help. Imagine if Miley Cyrus got behind the NFL Red***** controversy; her fans would pester their Daddy's to death until the name was changed. Imagine if she threw her name (and money) behind the opposition to sell the Wounded Knee battlesite. Imagine if she spent some of the money to provide propane for families and elders who have barely survived this winter. What about encouraging NDN children to get an education, or to read, or to honor their elders? ANYTHING besides owning a clubhouse (I'd wager it's got electricity too) for her friends and getting a tattoo because "it's cool" would be appreciated. Miley Cyrus (like our German friends) needs to learn that being Indian is more than just owning a teepee or sporting a tattoo. It's not an extravagant lifestyle and it doesn't involve sticking your tongue way out, so I suspect this will all come to nothing.

yayajanice's picture
yayajanice
Submitted by yayajanice on
Michael Madrid What you said was right on, these so called "wannabe""native americans" need to visit our poor reservations, its not all tattoos and teepees, or like the governers daughter wearing a headdress. Visit Pineridge donate clothing, food, pay a few light bills if there is even electricity, help dig a well, buy books for the young ones, get dirty with honest dirt, but please do it with cloths on!!!

L30's picture
L30
Submitted by L30 on
I created a website to protest Miley's actions. Check it out! https://sites.google.com/site/ndnsagainstmileysteepee/home/petition-for-miley-cyrus

ungava's picture
ungava
Submitted by ungava on
I actually did not know anything about Miley and could not possibly have imagined saying anything in her favor, but some of the comments here seem mean. Then when I read more (the link one can click on), I did go to feeling grossed out by her antics. Maybe the point is that elements of Native culture have sacred qualities. It is a lovely tepee, sure, but that must be it. Things that are Native have sacredness.

ungava's picture
ungava
Submitted by ungava on
I was thinking respectfully & rhetorically, Something that is "good" (meaning convenient for discussion) is the extreme nature of this person. She is outrageous. And I do not know her from the man on the moon, I do not even have a tv, but what if: what If she is partly Native by blood, yet her actions are terrible and offensive, and so lets' say she does not look like or act the way she ought to. What makes a person partly Native? Or: if she had no Native relatives at all but acted perfectly, and gave of her self, and everything good, would she be a non-Native or something else? What would a perfect non-Native person look like? The extreme nature of her image makes me wonder these two options.

sweetgrass777's picture
sweetgrass777
Submitted by sweetgrass777 on
This goes to show how the white man always try to buy into our culture. They are not happy with themselves. They deny others their heritage but if they have enough money always trying to hijack our culture. She can take her flat twerking ass and somewhere and leave Native people and culture alone. Culture thieves!

Piikani Akii's picture
Piikani Akii
Submitted by Piikani Akii on
If anyone can see she owns a painted tipi and if she has First nations heritage I would like to know where and when she got her rights and the transfer to own that tipi. May I add the correct title for what you call an Indian is First Nations this is the 2014, we need to be assertive in appropriating what you want to call yourself. I believe Miss Cyrus needs to step up and return that tipi to the rightful owner like all the other artifacts that are sold for a small token of disrespect out there in the world.