Lizard Light Productions

Watch Hoop Dancer Derrick Suwaima Davis Win 2013 World Championship

12/6/13

In early 2013, the Heard Museum in Phoenix hosted the 23rd annual World Championship Hoop Dance Contest, and when all was said and done it was Derrick Suwaima Davis (Hopi/Choctaw) who took the title by winning the adult division. The victory, over a field of esteemed dancers that included Nakotah LaRance, Tony Duncan, and Dallas Arcand, was Davis' sixth, a new record. For more on the event, visit the full ICTMN story and photo gallery.

The video below was produced by Lizard Light Productions. The 2014 Hoop Dance Championship will take place at the Heard on February 8 and 9; tickets will be available after January 1 -- visit heard.org/hoop for more information.

NOTE: We recommend you click the icon in the lower right corner of this video that enables full-screen viewing in order to get the most out of Davis' masterful performance.

Comments

Carminia's picture
Carminia
Submitted by Carminia on
This was the most fascinating, most beautiful display of indian hoop dancing I have ever saw. Thank you so much for having this on your web site

Carminia's picture
Carminia
Submitted by Carminia on

Carminia's picture
Carminia
Submitted by Carminia on

Cindy Kemper's picture
Cindy Kemper
Submitted by Cindy Kemper on
I was so excited to see Derrick..I haven't seen him in 25yrs or so..He is my sons first cousin..I was married to his Uncle Robert on his fathers side..I'm so happy to know he is doing well..It was such a joy to watch him dance..Thank you for sharing..If Derrick see's this.comment,,tell your Mom I still think of her often ..Blessings to you all...

Judy Gray's picture
Judy Gray
Submitted by Judy Gray on
This was amazing to watch Derrick Suwaima Davis do this hoop dance, not only is he talented but he is dedicated and it takes long hours of practice to do what he does, congratulations on your championship for you so deserve it and may God continue to use you to bless others in your dance, may the young people pay attention and have the desire to keep your heritage alive.

Rosemary Winspear's picture
Rosemary Winspear
Submitted by Rosemary Winspear on
This was very well done.. Thank you so much for sharing it with the World .... Yes it should be a World Sport Game ..

Linda B's picture
Linda B
Submitted by Linda B on
There are not enough descriptive words around to describe the beauty and talent of this dance. With deep appreciation, admiration, and respect for the dedication of this dancer----thank you!

jeanette ritchie.'s picture
jeanette ritchie.
Submitted by jeanette ritchie. on
this is so amazing,should be seen by everyone.it is sad that its being lost by our young people .all people should be involved in saving and learning these traditions before they are lost.

Dreaming Bear aka Barbara T. Newell's picture
Dreaming Bear a...
Submitted by Dreaming Bear a... on
ENJOY

PAT COSME's picture
PAT COSME
Submitted by PAT COSME on
WONDERFUL!!!!! I would love to see more of the pow wows as I am more or less stuck at home now... the shawl dance and all the dancing and drumming... some good singers... thank you so much.... he was GREAT!!!

Florence Marzinske's picture
Florence Marzinske
Submitted by Florence Marzinske on
Amazing skills, I really enjoyed watching this.

Karen Harjo's picture
Karen Harjo
Submitted by Karen Harjo on
It gives me so much joy to watch this...it's like medicine for the spirit!

winnebago tribe's picture
winnebago tribe
Submitted by winnebago tribe on
Awesome!

Vernon Schmidt's picture
Vernon Schmidt
Submitted by Vernon Schmidt on
Man this guy has all the moves, makes me dizzy watching him.