Lexie Wakan LaMere, daughter of well-known human rights activist Frank LaMere, walked on January 3, 2014 at the age of 21.

Democratic National Convention Delegate Lexie LaMere Walks On at 21

1/7/14

She had been attending the Democratic National Convention since she was just 2 months old and watched from her cradle board, reported the Sioux City Journal.

Two years ago, Lexie Wakan LaMere, daughter of well-known human rights activist Frank LaMere, became a delegate at the Democratic National Convention. She walked on January 3, 2014 at the age of 21 after battling leukemia.

“I am crushed. My heart is on the ground, but it cannot remain there. Lexie would not allow that,” Frank LaMere, Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska, told the Sioux City Journal. “The work must go on. There are things to be done. All things I do in the future will be done in Lexie’s name.”

That work Frank, Lexie's father, is referring to includes Lexie’s involvement in a number of groups. At Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, she was a member of Whiteclay Awareness, a student group trying to help people of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and supporting the battle against alcohol sales from Whiteclay.

RELATED: Nebraska Students Call for Anheuser-Busch Boycott

At the time of her death she was the secretary for the Dakota County Democrats and had served in that post for almost two years. She also served as a page for former Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson. Many believe she would have gone far in politics, had her life not been cut short by illness.

“I sincerely believe that she would have gone on to serve in national government as a congressman or a senator. She had the personality, the ability,” Dakota County Assessor Dick Erickson told the Sioux City Journal. “She had the whole package: She was sharp, well spoken, knowledgeable on any subject.”

Lexie was born May 16, 1992 in Sioux City, Iowa, to Frank and Cynthia (Rouse) LaMere. Frank is executive director of the Four Directions Community Center, in Sioux City. LaMere is a longtime advocate for Indian child welfare who works on a daily basis with Native families.

Lexie graduated from Bishop Heelan High School in 2010, after which she attended Catholic University in Washington, D.C. She later transferred to Creighton, where she became ill in August 2013.

“Anybody that didn’t meet her missed out, because it was a joy to be around her,” Dakota County Democrats Chairman Delmer Adam told the Sioux City Journal. “It was just an experience. … Anybody that would meet her, they walked away with that ‘wow’ effect.”

Comments

Ena's picture
Ena
Submitted by Ena on
I did not get to meet her but we were pulling her for so much! She was the subject in our house daily since we first heard of her being sick. My twin sons are disabled and Frank LaMere is there closest friend and Advocate. For him my sons would do anything. He means so much to our family. With out him my sons would be dead I am sure of that! My heart cries for the LaMere family now and at this point we just keep them in our thoughts and pray daily that they are just simply able to take a breath without it hurting so much. One day that will happen. I think it will be a long time coming for Our dearest friend and his family but The Creator will make that happen. My son Cade says pain is a cleansing for the next part of our walk. Lexie must of been preparing to make her journey.

LEFTbutRIGHT's picture
LEFTbutRIGHT
Submitted by LEFTbutRIGHT on
The poet Aeschylus said that death comes from the awful grace of God. However, I reflect upon the purpose and pursuits of Lexie's life. It was all good. I feel fortunate to have known her. Her proactive civic engagement activities, efforts to address the scourge of alcohol abuse within the Native American community, and a strong sense of social justice were very real passions. It is evident that her life's interests were in the best of interests of all of us. Her passing will always be an unacceptable awful grace.

LEFTbutRIGHT's picture
LEFTbutRIGHT
Submitted by LEFTbutRIGHT on

LEFTbutRIGHT's picture
LEFTbutRIGHT
Submitted by LEFTbutRIGHT on

LEFTbutRIGHT's picture
LEFTbutRIGHT
Submitted by LEFTbutRIGHT on

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
My sympathies to Frank and Cynthia and to anyone who was touched by this wonderful young lady. It's always sad when the elderly walk on. It's always tragic when the young walk on.