AP Photo/The Salt Lake Tribune, Trent Nelson
Ryan Bundy, son of the Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, rides an ATV into Recapture Canyon north of Blanding, Utah on Saturday, May 10, 2014, in a protest against what demonstrators call the federal government’s overreaching control of public lands. The area has been closed to motorized use since 2007 when an illegal trail was found that cuts through Ancestral Puebloan ruins. The canyon is open to hikers and horseback riders.

ATV Protest Rides Through Native American Sacred Sites

5/12/14

ATVs have not been allowed through Recapture Canyon since 2007, but that didn’t stop a group of protesters on Saturday, May 10 from riding the trail—which is full of Native American sacred sites—anyway.

The Bureau of Land Management closed Recapture Canyon in Blanding, Utah to ATVs in 2007 after enthusiasts were caught trying to construct another trail illegally, and in so doing damaged archaeological sites, reports The Salt Lake Tribune.

Saturday’s ride was a demonstration by residents and San Juan County Commissioner Phil Lyman that they want control of the lands in public hands, a fight that has been going on for eight years. Only eight percent of San Juan County is not managed by the BLM, reports the Los Angeles Times.

Lyman and others who want the canyon reopened to ATVs argue that their families have been using the land for recreation for years.

“My grandfather called that canyon the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen in his life. It’s important to our family. To see it as the focal point of a conflict is painful,” Lyman said before riding into the canyon on an ATV, to the Los Angeles Times.

People listen to San Juan County Commissioner Phil Lyman at Centennial Park in Blanding, Utah on Saturday, May 10, 2014. Lyman organized an ATV protest ride into nearby Recapture Canyon to show that the federal agency isn’t the “supreme authority” and local residents have a right to have their opinions heard. The area has been closed to motorized use since 2007 when an illegal trail was found that cuts through Ancestral Puebloan archaeological sites. The canyon is open to hikers and horseback riders. (AP Photo/The Salt Lake Tribune, Trent Nelson)

Comments

dreamsthunder's picture
dreamsthunder
Submitted by dreamsthunder on
What I would like to know is where was the law during this protest and why were none of the protesters arrested for trespassing. Furthermore, just love the way they bring their children as shields from the law. Go ATV somewhere else. There is plenty available land. If you don't respect the dead and sacred sites, then make a trail through you own grave yards and church yards.

bullbear's picture
bullbear
Submitted by bullbear on
It is just as I wrote several months ago. ATVs are a motorized means to conveniently reach archaeological and sacred sites. ATV owners, some, not all, are destructive and have no regard for the meaning and significance behind each site as demonstrated by individuals who take it upon themselves to make illegal paths to the protected sites. These archaeological sites are the only traces to bygone cultures and a civilization that existed more than 1,000-1,200 years ago. Once these are destroyed, they are permanently gone and not able to tell us anymore about a People who some tribes presently claim as descendants. These religious and historical sites do no harm to anyone which makes it incomprehensible as to why some people feel that they need to topple, deface, and hammer them into oblivion. If it takes the BLM to enforce stiffer penalties for those who encroach upon protected sites outside of clearly established regulations and guidelines, then I am 110% behind them! I cannot say that I feel badly for those families who feel that their recreational activities have been curtailed because they cannot freely and openly drive their ATVs anywhere that pleases them. On a different perspective, I have regard for those who backpack into wilderness, respect the environment, and leave only their tracks. If one cannot do the same, perhaps they need to find a dissimilar recreational form that provides just as much enjoyment. Merely as suggestions, why not consider volunteering, gardening, birding, photography, sewing, fishing or restoring vintage cars as a family project.

Pediowoman's picture
Pediowoman
Submitted by Pediowoman on
So much for the kind Bundy's that only wanted to protect their lively hood. Imagine if this had been Natives riding ATV's through the Bundy's cemetery. It is clear "Commissioner" Lyman is just another Good Old White Boy. Disgusting.

scd's picture
scd
Submitted by scd on
OK! Now after a couple of days needed to calm down concerning this issue, because I read it the other day on another site. I will give you my words. I want you to take a good look at these “people.” The only thing that has really changed is their mode of transportation. Instead of horses they ride an ATV. But, the person riding them ARE STILL THE SAME! ARROGANT, CONCEITED, EGOTISTICAL, DISRESPECTFUL, GREEDY, NARCISSISTIC, SELF-ABSORBED, SELFISH, SELF-IMPORTANT, SELF-LOVING, SELF-ADMIRING, VAIN…DON’T GIVE A DAMN…WHITES! (Now, before someone busts a gut…I KNOW that all whites are not like these fools. And if this statement is true, then WHERE ARE YOU CARING WHITES? WHERE ARE YOUR VOICES?) If this were the Twin Towers site and Tribal people were going to do something the whites would pitch a fit about it! Remember the Muslim issue a few years ago concerning Muslims doing something that the whites didn’t want because it was too close to the Twin Tower site? Did you really think…seriously…that they were going to respect our wishes concerning this issue? They will never respect us, NEVER! Think with me, now... If I have to take you to court, or protest against you. Does not that tell you something? It tells you that you did not want to do the right thing in the first place…does it not? I have prayed to The Creator and I have asked Him what can be done to change the white man’s heart. I have wept before Him asking Him to show us. We have protested, marched, sued, fought, pleaded, gone to court and wrote articles. But, really little if no real change has occurred. But, there is one my Brothers and my Sisters who is not afraid of the white man. There is one that has been quiet for years. There is one who has held Her temper for a very long time even while being raped, ravaged, robbed, taken advantage of, marred and scarred. She is Mother Earth! Now, I do not know about your mother, but mine would take a lot from me when I was young. But, when she had enough…I knew I was in trouble and even dad could not help me. Forgive me for the length of this…but my point is this. Mother Earth has stood by for hundreds of years while the whites have destroyed her. I am talking mainly about Turtle Island. For thousands of years our ancestors lived on these lands and treated Her with respect and dignity and for that She rewarded them. The white man has been here for how long? Hum…some 200+ years and LOOK at what he has done to Her! She has had enough! You mark my words…it is going to get so bad in this country weather wise unlike anything ever seen. Mother Earth is not afraid and She is not “vengeful.” BUT, She will demand “Justice!” And justice She will get. She has not forgotten those that have loved and respected Her and for that She will get justice! Now, whether you agree or believe a single word I have said…remember this. There is a universal law that will never fail. A law the Creator has put in place at the beginning. A law that crosses all color lines. A law that crosses all financial lines. A law that is fearless! “You reap what you sow!” And white man, it is time to reap! Steve Fire Heart

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
Maybe they'd get the point if a bunch of NDNs rode through their cemeteries on ATVs and motorcycles.

ReneeH's picture
ReneeH
Submitted by ReneeH on
The article that was in my local paper was themed as "Blanding ATV Protest Goes Off Peacefully" and it seemed like the reporter sympathized with the protestors. He also mentioned that no supporters of the ban in attendance. Also, the reporter didn't seem to take the time to interview anyone who felt that the ban should be in effect due to the damage to natural resources and destruction of Native American artifacts. Go www.cortezjournal.com and search for the protest article.

ReneeH's picture
ReneeH
Submitted by ReneeH on

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
Such blatant disregard for other people, for other cultures, for American history, for future generations, for the environment, for the land we live on, our ancestors and for our children - these people respect NOTHING! They cannot comprehend little beyond that they cannot drive their expensive ATVs wherever they want to go. Steve Fire Heart is right! This sense of White Entitlement will come back to bite them in the ass when Mother Earth decides she's had enough.

rockymissouri's picture
rockymissouri
Submitted by rockymissouri on
Disgraceful arrogance. I will enjoy seeing the smiles wiped off of their faces.

choctawgirl's picture
choctawgirl
Submitted by choctawgirl on
I agree with scd. These people are pathetic. The white man will never change until Mother Earth decides she's had enough. Even then it won't matter. They say their families have been using the land for recreation for years? LOL The Natives have been here "for centuries untold" ;). Oh but they will never admit that because most people don't know how to read-what I mean is read between the lies and understand what is being shoved down their throats. People in the comments on a columbus ship wreck article on another website were saying that they read that vikings were here before the Natives LOL incredible! People think that just because something is in a book and it's what they desperately WANT to believe that it makes it true. It's really sad how naive people are. Whites are albinos with recessive genes. There are different types of albinism but they will never admit this. My cousin's parents are both Mexican not mixed with anything else-and he has bright red hair pale skin and freckles. They won't admit they don't belong anywhere and we're just like animals. For instance albino tigers. They need their bible stories to make them feel special. It's foolish to spread albinism but they continue to think that it is normal and everyone tries to keep this a secret so they can continue to lie, cheat and steal. The Earth Mother is coming for you white man.

runningwater's picture
runningwater
Submitted by runningwater on
Here I am. In answer to your question, SCD, about where are the "caring whites?" I am a white man who agrees that this treatment of sacred land--sacred to native peoples by tradition and to all living things as their Grandmother--is despicable. I say to those who would "recreate" in this place: walk! It will be much better for you and your children to touch the ground and to feel the earth than to roll over it and spew fumes and invectives as you pass. Heck, it may teach you (and your children) some humility in the process. I'm with those who have lived with and learned from the land, not those who live on it and take from it. I would be happy to travel to Utah to protest this pathetic protest.

Death-Valley Jim
Death-Valley Jim
Submitted by Death-Valley Jim on
I am sickened by these actions. I had supported Bundy in regards to his cows, and I loathe the BLM. However this is going too far. Recapture Canyon was closed to vehicular access because of it's cultural importance, no other reason. The actions of these supports is nothing but disrespectful and shameful.

mnmemn3's picture
mnmemn3
Submitted by mnmemn3 on
I know this is going to sound prejudiced, but like I said before I lived Nevada for ten years and remember how prejudice they were about Natives out there. The main reason thought was because of Tribal Gaming and how everyone in Vegas despised the Native competition. Its was so bad that everything was fine until they found out I was Native and got a little per capita payment from my rez then I would feel the venom shooting from their mouth lol. In short I believe these kinds of group of people would be despiteful and mean enough to do it deliberately. Its always been Okay to discriminate against the Native America in the modern world. Sad but true.

whit's picture
whit
Submitted by whit on
I am sure all Americans would be outraged if ATVs were running all over Greasy Grass or Little Roundtop. I am sure all Americans beleive there are hallowed and sacred areas, that should be protected from destruction and vandalism. Then why not Recapture Canyon? If we are more concerned with having fun, than we are about respecting Peoples history, cultures, and sacred sites, we should return Recapture Canyon to the tribes we took it from. It is a tiny area in relation to the vast lands surrounding it, where ATVs are free to roam

Jason McRobie
Jason McRobie
Submitted by Jason McRobie on
those idiot need take ATV somewhere esles they need to stay off tribal land and yes i do believe that all burial ground is still tribal land still property of that . we all need take back our tribal land nation wide from these crazy white people who want disrespect our land atvs and shit like that. the tribe can manage land better blm. we need steal our land back before this land up in us supreme court that would allow to ride there and disrespect our sacred sites and more