Listen to 11 year old Makayla Sault read her letter explaining why she has asked her parents to take her off chemotherapy and pursue traditional medicines instead.

Ojibwe Child with Cancer Quits Chemo for Traditional Medicine, Needs Support

5/16/14

An 11-year-old Ojibwe girl stricken with cancer has refused chemotherapy and opted to rely solely on traditional medicine instead.

Makayla Sault, who resides in the Missisaugas of the New Credit First Nation, Ontario, suffers from Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Her body is exhausted from 11 weeks of chemotherapy treatments, she explains in the YouTube video (shown below), and she is now feeling "awesome" after Six Nations traditional medicine known as "Ongwehowe Onǫhgwatri:yo:".

In her May 7 video, Makayla reads a letter to the Band Council, in which she seeks protection of her right to use indigenous medicines, and for her parents to honor her request.

"I have asked my mom and dad to take me off this treatment because I do not want to go this way anymore," Makayla says. "I am sick to my stomach all the time and I lost about 10 pounds because I couldn't keep nothing down. I know that what I have can kill me, but I don’t want to die in a hospital in chemo, weak and sick."

Makayla is supported by her parents, Pastors Ken and Sonya Sault, who have allowed her to receive traditional medicine through a healer on Six Nations, reported The Two Row Times.

But because there is no proof of the efficacy of traditional medicine, the hospital is viewing the Sault family’s choice to abandon chemotherapy as failing to provide proper medical care for the child.

"All in all, it's a very tragic situation," Andy Koster, executive director of the Children's Aid Society of Brant, told The National Post. "We have to decide as an agency how we wish to handle this.”

The Society boasts a staff of 200 including 40 staff of Aboriginal ancestry who form the Aboriginal Services Department.  Makayla's leading oncologist physician Dr. Barr also tried to convince the family not to use indigenous medicines. Makayla's mother told the Band Council that “[Dr. Barr] said to us ‘…anyone who says that traditional medicine works should be thrown in jail.’”

The New Credit First Nation Band Council has issued a letter of support to the Sault family, and both the New Credit First Nation and members of the Six Nations have asserted that they would not permit anyone to forcibly remove Makayla from the reserve.

As for Makayla, she says, "I gained some of my weight back, I'm eating and drinking and I can hold it all down, and I am getting my strength back."

Comments

Two Bears Growling's picture
Two Bears Growling
Submitted by Two Bears Growling on
Good for this native family to seek out our native healers. As for these white-washed doctors, SHAME on you all who told this family that people should be thrown into jail for saying traditional medicine works! ......................................................................................................................... ANY native person who is in the medical field & believes our healing ways & healers cannot heal us has sold out & been brain-washed by the white medical establishments. ......................................................................................................................... Why do these medical doctors say they are "practicing physicians"? Do you want someone doing things to you & having you take things who are just "practicing" medicine? I don't! I want someone who knows without a doubt about what they are doing! OUR native healers have many thousands of years of tried & true procedures, plants, herbs & extracts that DO heal & cure things in our bodies. ......................................................................................................................... Native healers don't "practice" medicine. They actually heal & cure people! Mother Earth has everything we need to heal & cure us of so many things I can't even begin to name them all. There ARE things out here that DO cure cancers & many other terrible diseases & ailments so many have around this world. ......................................................................................................................... The ONLY reason these truly incredible cures are not mainstream is because these factory pharmacies & their labs cannot duplicate the chemical processes these plants, herbs, roots, berries & extracts do naturally. Since those chemicals cannot be reproduced in that lab they cannot get a patient on them. So guess what happens with this research when the pharmacies get to that point of being unable to patient something? They stop & drop that research ALL because of GREED! ......................................................................................................................... Family & young daughter of the People, do NOT be discouraged by these fools in the medical field who are trying to scare you all. Stay strong, pray to the Creator & remain encouraged by all the many people all across Indian Country who are praying to the Creator for each of you daily. ......................................................................................................................... There is much modern society & these white folks doctors have no idea of the things OUR people know. There are things in our various cultures that people do not speak of & unless you are part of our cultures & the various societies we have within our various peoples you will never know of the ancient knowledge we do. It is sacred & part of our beliefs & not for outsiders & unbelievers.

builds-the-fire's picture
builds-the-fire
Submitted by builds-the-fire on
Good for her! I am proud of this little girl. My grandmother could tell you what to do to heal, and it always worked. I regret not realizing what I had in her while she was alive. Interesting that her parents are pastors. God bless them for listening to their child. For everything there is a reason.

Mariegee's picture
Mariegee
Submitted by Mariegee on
Good for you family Sault! You have the right to choose. I admire you respecting her wishes and I support your decision 100%. Mainstream cancer treatment is just a bunch of chemo sellers. If they offered a wide range of alternatives I'd have a different opinion but it seems terribly narrow minded to offer only one path of treatment for a very misunderstood disease (Cancer).

Barbara Kaaikala
Barbara Kaaikala
Submitted by Barbara Kaaikala on
A Native American (teen at the time) from the US, Billy Best, healed from Cancer without chemotherapy and has a website so that he can help others. http://www.billybest.net/

Carol Zitzer-Comfort
Carol Zitzer-Comfort
Submitted by Carol Zitzer-Comfort on
Makayla is a brave young woman who possesses wisdom far beyond her years. What can we do to support her and her family?

Tammie Lynn Anderson
Tammie Lynn Anderson
Submitted by Tammie Lynn Anderson on
The Creator provided us with all the Natural Herbs and Fruits to heal ourselves, it's Makayla's choice to choose her alternatives. Chemo is no guarantee and Natural Herbs neither. I think I would rather choose Natural and Spiritual Healing than Chemical Chemo. It's not Natural and Usually Kills other fatal organs and cells in it's Synthetic Money Making Market. God, The Creator created everything in this Ole World to Survive but most Humans turn there Heart, Eye, and Soul away from it. Coconut, Turmeric, and Oregano are just of few the list is Plentiful. May Gods, herbs heal this Precious Child. The Choice to Fight for Life is Ultimately, Makayla's. Prayers and Blessing for You Makayla.

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
Cancer has been omnipresent in my life for a least the past five years. My mother died of lung cancer about four years ago, my niece died of brain cancer this February at 19, a long-time co-worker died of cancer last month and two other teachers I work with were recently diagnosed. I'm afraid I have little faith in modern medicine. All of these friends and family have undergone conventional treatments (chemo & radiation) and they've suffered the side-effects, but NOT ONE has beaten the disease. The drawback (besides losing a friend or relative) is that treatments are unbelievably expensive and every single family has gone into serious debt because of the expense. Sure, most of them have had medical insurance, but how many people can afford even 20% of a $250,000 medical bill? The last thing I need to do to my family when I'm this ill is to deplete their savings. I would also opt for traditional medicine over conventional, but my prime concern would be leaving my family some money to buy food and pay utilities.

Michael Madrid's picture