TheRichest.com

Dan Rather Says NFL Team Should Keep Its Name

6/5/14

Legendary Journalist Dan Rather told DC’s 50 “NewsPlus with Mark Segraves” that the name of the Washington ‘Redskins’ should not be changed.

This is the first time that Rather has spoken about the team’s name. The 82-year-old, is the managing editor of Dan Rather Reports and was the anchor of the CBS Evening News for 24 years, from March 9, 1981, to March 9, 2005.

Rather did say, however, that he thinks the name will eventually be changed.

Watch the clip here.

Comments

Chi Mukwa's picture
Chi Mukwa
Submitted by Chi Mukwa on
And that should make a difference? Because Dan said so??? That should make us sit down and keep quite? Because Dan said so?? Because Dan said so, we'll pretend that the imagery is NOT offensive, that ourselves, and our youth should forever be disenfranchised and kept at the periphery of mainstream society, because Dan said so? Frankly, I don't give a damn about what Dan says...he does not speak for me! When we let non-native people speak for us, or try to manipulate us, do we not take a step backwards? We are not your pet, or subhuman, to be placed upon a jersey, a t-shirt or helmet for your amusement. We are the original human being native to this great land, so please see us as human. Hmm, on second thought, I am of the bear, but not a pet, you try and chain me like your pet, well, this bear bites. Because Chi Mukwa say's so.

bullbear's picture
bullbear
Submitted by bullbear on
Dan Rather's personal opinion is merely for the sake of argument as he states. He is a retired investigative journalist and if there was still an ounce of work principles to provide truth, he would state the tribes view. He has ran the gamut of news reporting and should use his golden years taking some of his celebrity friends fishing so he can share his deflated opinions with them. "Danny Boy, this way to the exit."

Catfish101's picture
Catfish101
Submitted by Catfish101 on
Everybody is to sensitive. I understand taking pride in who you are. I am white, you dont hear me complaining about the dallas cowboys. When we do take a stand about such things, it brings out the real racism. You start blaming white people for being so insensitive. There is something that offends everyone, move on and grow thicker skin.

Shadowwolf480's picture
Shadowwolf480
Submitted by Shadowwolf480 on
He is entitled to his own opinion. But sadly for him, the movement and support behind the change the team name is too vast to ignore. From the POTUS, on down to the average Native in urban and reservation areas. I'll give Dan Rather credit for admitting that the NFL team will eventually change it's name. There is no doubt about that. He was in reality when he first noted it. Good for him. But he is wrong about the WA team in keeping it's name. In hindsight, I'm glad Dan is no longer with CBS Evening News. That's one of my favorite nightly news following NBC's Brian Williams.

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
Well what the fuck? I used to respect Dan Rather, but this idiotic comment has changed that. Now, he's little more than just another White guy on TV. __________ I wonder if he lamented the loss of the N-Word too? __________ I thought it rather chickenshit that he gave no reason for his viewpoint. His answer is as much of a dodge as "because it's in the Bible," or "because it's the way it's always been done." _______ I guess the far Right was correct to question his journalistic integrity regarding his story about Bush's military service. He didn't confirm the validity of his story and ended up eating his shorts for it. Now whenever the subject comes up and anyone asks if I like or respect Dan Rather, I'll simply say, "no."

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
To CATFISH 101: You just don't get it, do you? Were the cowboys (from Dallas or anywhere else) ever subjected to genocide by Indians? Were cowboys ever given smallpox-infected blankets by Indians in an effort to infect entire towns? Did the wives of cowboys have their breasts cut off and used for tobacco pouches by Indians? Were the bodies of the daughters of cowboys mutilated in death by having their vaginas cut out and used for Indian's hatbands? Were the children of cowboys torn from their families and sent to boarding schools far, far away in an effort to make them forget their language, their culture, their religion and their roots and take up those of the Indians? Have cowboys signed treaties with Indians that we have not honored time and time again? No. You have NONE of these things in your cultural/ethnic past and you think we're "blaming" White people for being insensitive. We're simply asking that you change the name of an idiotic sports team so that it doesn't remind us of how we were treated in the past and how you'd like to CONTINUE treating us. I'm sure you'd just like us to shut up, but we're not going to.