Source: PBS, 'We Shall Remain'
'How much white are you?' said the Wampanoag to the Pilgrim.

Top 10 Things to Say When You Meet a White Person

7/25/14

All Native Americans have had those encounters -- meeting a stranger of a different race who reacts to Indian-ness with a predictable comment about your racial makeup, or a common misconception about Indians, or a (probably false) story about his or her grandmother. It's weird, it's sometimes offensive, it's sometimes oddly touching.

This list turns the tables, offering the NDN side of the conversation. Use carefully. Thanks goes to Last Real Indians for posting this one to their Facebook page

Top 10 Things Natives Should Say to White Folks

10. How much white are you?

9. I'm part white myself, you know.

8. I learned all your people's ways in the Boy Scouts.

7. My great-great-grandmother was a full-blooded white American Princess.

6. Funny, you don't look white.

5. I'm not racist, my best friend is white!

4. Do you live in a covered wagon?

3. What's the meaning behind the square dance?

2. Can I touch your facial hair?

1. Hey, can I take your picture?

RELATED: Sh*t People Say to Native Americans

Comments

Pelagia Johanna Maria Peil
Pelagia Johanna...
Submitted by Pelagia Johanna... on
It is realy funny,ans tragic.I am white and was to merry a Oglala soux from Pine Ridge Rez.He passed away 10 day's before he was flying to where i live,leaving me devastated. So i am white and do not ask idiot questions but i know most white's do.they are plain RACISTS with the made up (lying) storys. I feel Native but i am not.

Chooj's picture
Chooj
Submitted by Chooj on
12. Last night, I dreamt I saw a lone Volvo driving in a clockwise direction around Trader Joe's---what does that mean?

iceman24019's picture
iceman24019
Submitted by iceman24019 on
I am sure, I am one of the few white people who belong to Indian Country and truly in my heart love the American Indians. I laughed so hard reading these quotes and then it makes me think how stupid we white people really are in our conversations with not only the American Indian but, other races as well. Thank you for posting this. I am adding to my face book to get white people to hopefully think before they speak. Michael I.

Yolanda Yrt
Yolanda Yrt
Submitted by Yolanda Yrt on
A lot of this sounds for familiar. I find it strange when Caucasians make these crazy comments. We all have stereotypes within our cultures which the media loves to portray as the norm. How can people be so shallow to relate to other people in this manner?

Yolanda Yrt
Yolanda Yrt
Submitted by Yolanda Yrt on

Yolanda Yrt
Yolanda Yrt
Submitted by Yolanda Yrt on

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
I live in a border state and with the current furor over illegal immigration, I'm always suspected of claiming Native ancestry because I don't want to be called "Mexican" (I'm an ethnic NDN, my Apache blood comes from my father, my mother was Mexican). I'm equally both and equally proud of both, but it seems to me that SOME PEOPLE just have trouble deciding which side of me to hate.

Debbie Moore Manning
Debbie Moore Manning
Submitted by Debbie Moore Manning on
I think most people mean well when they ask questions , they may not have alot of tact but basically are just curious abt the old culture and the culture as it is today. I am only going by the questions I read above , some are funny but I noticed the comments below that people thought people were racists for asking those questions , I don't get that feeling at all . I am not American Indian but I can understand people curiosity abt American Indians esp those people that may live on the East coast and are never exposed to that culture and are very interested in learning more

Waabooz Biboon's picture
Waabooz Biboon
Submitted by Waabooz Biboon on
Why must Indians be so sensitive to what Whites say? If Whites are claiming Native ancestry, they must find something quite admirable about Native people. Stupid is as stupid does and Whites are saying stupid things because Native people haven't taught the truth to them to see the error of their ways. Let Whites get to know Native people and then gradually educate them out of their ignorance. It will be a big benefit to all, especially down the road when we will all HAVE to come together to clean up the mess these industrialists have made out of the whole world. Start now. The sooner the better.

Pediowoman's picture
Pediowoman
Submitted by Pediowoman on
Although this is not quite the same, I do want to mention it. I am white and look the part but when I talk to someone about “Indians” whether it is supporting tribal fishing rights, designs in rock art shared by many over a wide area, anything regarding Indians, nine times out of ten the first response is “Are you one?” Like I have to be or else I would not be interested in such things. I am never offended , I just laugh and tell them no. I think they are just surprised to hear someone white that actually knows something besides the first "thanksgiving" story.