Video: Adam Sandler's Producer To Native Actors: 'Sensitive? You Can Leave'

Vincent Schilling
4/24/15

In an exclusive video obtained by one of the actors on set, Goldie Tom, Native Actors discuss their disappointment on the set of the Adam Sandler movie. During the discussion one of the producers tells the actors, “Here’s the thing, If you are overly sensitive about it… then you should probably leave.”

The actors are visibly frustrated at the remarks.

Other comments from the producer and crewmembers include “We have a lot to lose, Adam Sandler is playing a person that loves you guys, he’s the Hero” and that they would not change the Native character’s name Beaver’s Breath.

The Ridiculous Six story posted by Indian Country Today Media Network has since gone viral and media outlets from across the country have also posted the story.

RELATED: Native Actors Walk off Set of Adam Sandler Movie After Insults to Women, Elders

Follow Correspondent Vincent Schilling on Twitter – www.Twitter.com/VinceSchilling.

Comments

Carlisle Antonio
Carlisle Antonio
Submitted by Carlisle Antonio on
I wonder if he would call his non native actors names such as 'Retarded Jewish Turd' or 'Hitler was right about you' 'Auschwitz Skinnies' 'Dachau in your face' - just saying.....all in the name of comedy of course. And if he didn't like it, then he could leave and go back to wherever he came from....

J_rgen's picture
J_rgen
Submitted by J_rgen on
Adam Sandler's attempt to top Seth Macfarlane's "Million ways to die" spoof western film is off to a poor start. Seth at least has the decency to portray us in a fair light with tasteful comedic elements... the things I've been reading coming from this production is outright appalling. Racists of the world will definitely love this film, but its a boycott for me.

Michael Dean
Michael Dean
Submitted by Michael Dean on
Good for them! I was very disappointed that this incident involves directly/ indirectly one of my favorite funny men. That said, I was VERY pleased that those brothers and sisters chose to walk off of the set --- especially a project that involves such a high profile celebrity. My only hope is that –regardless the change(s) that may, or may NOT be made to the script – they DON'T get talked back into participating in the project! ...other than protesting it! I'm an African-American artist, myself (novice playwright/ screen-writer). I mention this only because 3-4 of my projects involve Native American ( 'Indian'?...) characters of various nations and cultures. I have absolutely NO connections to the film industry –especially the big Hollywood studios. Yet, the very first thing I did after I developed 'my' story-lines (as well as concept for each work) , was to research, research and research EACH group, and its specific customs and cosmology. THEN I tried (and STILL trying...) to make as many contacts with each of those specific peoples, (not much luck with the 'Haida', though...) My point is, I'm a starving artist that doesn't even know how he'll pay the bills half the time, yet I scrimp and save to buy research materials and books to learn as much as I can. Even with a completed project, I still wouldn't feel comfortable even presenting a treatment for purchase without the blessings from various representatives (from all walks-of-life and status) for each of those specific groups. In contrast, you have these cats with a single project that , surly, has MILLLIONS invested in it! Surly they also have the means to bring in consultants and tribal representatives ask questions and guide them when needed . THAT IS, IF THEY 'REALLY' WANTED TO!! I don't care how ludicrous and 'ridiculous' of a comedy' the script is and was conceived , you can still respect the people that you are, in part, satirizing. Hasn't Hollywood learned ANYTHING from those racist Westerns of the '30s thru '60s? So... Adam couldn't find a Native sista' to play that role they assigned to the white female artist, depicting a Native woman, huh? Adam...say it ain't so!

Opichi's picture
Opichi
Submitted by Opichi on
I would like to start a protest that reaches netflix directly. How about selecting one or more DO NOT STREAM DAYS from them to let them know how many of their members object to this material? Considering the number of disappeared and murdered Native women, I also think the names they gave those female characters - giving one a name that makes her walking tits, the other a name that replaces her mouth with her genitals - that to me qualifies as hate speech and I want to object to it as such. Anyone who has any ideas on how to make such an even spread in social media, please let me know or help? Thanks!

poopsie's picture
poopsie
Submitted by poopsie on
Adam Sandler is playing a person that loves you guys? That sure is a strange way to show love and respect for the Indian! To tell the actors to leave if they are sensitive, grossly condescending and insensitive! It appears that these crew members and Adam Sandler need sensitivity training.

Samwise24601's picture
Samwise24601
Submitted by Samwise24601 on
If you get offended over what a work of fiction says, you are NOT an actor and shame on you for accepting the role. I am part Cherokee and would love a chance to have a part in a movie.

WisestNDNopinion's picture
WisestNDNopinion
Submitted by WisestNDNopinion on
Non-Indigenous Americans have such a long history of degrading and de-culturalizing Indigenous Americans in so many forms that it seems non-Indigenous Americans at the helm of media production have reached a common point to construct (with little or no Indigenous consultation) Indigenous caricatures that aim to ridicule and paint a stereotype of all Indigenous Americans. These caricatures used in American film then passes on ridicule to Indigenous Americans internationally. Sure Adam Sandler's character in the film is the "hero", but does that mean that he gets to go home being the fictitious hero, all the while Indigenous kids that watch the film go home feeling ridiculous after being ridiculed about being Indigenous? Talk about no empathy for Indigenous peoples history and current struggles in "America". All these years of cultural oppression just to be made fun of in the name of comedy.

Smokin'Fox's picture
Smokin'Fox
Submitted by Smokin'Fox on
Hahahaha, some of these guys bickering actually stayed and finished the shoot. Especially that guy with no shirt has a big mouth this whole time, he was there til the end. I'm not going to say his name and he actually was kissing the actors ass! What a bunch of hypocrites! Of course they were not trying to make it realistic coz it's a comedy not a documentary film. Just so you know I was one of the 150 extras that stayed to finish the film.

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
To SAMWISE 24601: You're not an actor - you're an apple and the WORST type of apple at that! You're willing to forget the suffering of your people (and your cousins) for money. You're willing to forget everything your parents taught you about respect and honor . . . for money. You're willing to keep your mouth shut when someone is insulting your women and your elders . . . for money. You're willing to laugh at Native people right alongside the descendants of those who killed them, tortured them and stole nearly everything that was dear to them . . . and all for money. I'm not saying you can't be a Native American and an actor at the same time, I AM saying you SHOULDN'T be a Native American actor who places money above all else! The movie producer: I hear what you're saying . . . . I just don't care. MOVIE PRODUCER = RICH, WHITE GUY

amadan's picture
amadan
Submitted by amadan on
It's a good and courageous thing to walk off the set of a movie that contains stereotyping or other offensive because it brings off the set and into the public eye. Unfortunately, the public, for the most part, doesn't have a long attention span and an initial outrage doesn't usually stick long enough to accomplish anything. The other problem is one of trying to face-off with a movie in production that is already slated to make millions for its investors. All of the funding and investment is in place by this point in time and they already know it's a money maker because of who's attached to the project. It's like going up against a huge corporation with very little clout to back up what is right--and often garners the film more money because people will go to see the film just to take a look at what all of the controversy was about. At the bottom of all of this is the basic problem that there are many people who laugh at stereotypes and find them funny--meaning a larger more collaborative effort would be needed to really stop this kind of thing as a whole. Something that would keep a film like this and many others that contain stereotyped characters of all cultures and ethnicities and sexes from making any money--which would mean no one would want to invest money to fund them. Boycotts of these films comes to mind, but I honestly don't know if there is enough public will available to achieve that. Personally, when I hear someone laugh at a stereotype or tell a joke that promotes them, I speak up in a way that starts a dialogue. I don't always get a positive result, but I can at least walk away feeling like I tried to solve a problem that has existed since time began. I hope people keep speaking out and I hope people boycott these kinds of films. It starts with one person--you.

Brian Young
Brian Young
Submitted by Brian Young on
Hey guys, I know there is a lot of negativity going on here and tempers can run high. But please take a look at my event on Facebook #vivanativecinema . I am calling for a mass watching of native films on Netflix to show that we want films made by natives on their catalog. we can turn this ugly scenario into one of progress that can support native filmmakers. https://www.facebook.com/events/1569665909968122/