Seeking Applicants For The Judicial Selection Committee
The purpose of the Judicial Selection Committee is to assist the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community (“SRPMIC”) Council in selecting qualified persons to serve as judges for the SRPMIC by making timely recommendations for judicial appointment(s) that may occur through term expiration, resignation or removal.
Committee members must meet the following criteria:
- a. Possess a two (2) year degree (Associate of Arts, certificate, etc.) or higher preferably in a law related field (e.g., law degree, criminal justice, administration of justice, Police Science, paralegal);
OR have prior experience as a judge of any jurisdiction. (this would include enrolled community members who may have served in other jurisdictions, but not SRPMIC)
b. No current outstanding warrants from any jurisdiction or currently under investigation or prosecution in any jurisdiction.
c. Have never been convicted of a felony in any jurisdiction, and have not been convicted of a misdemeanor within five (5) years of the date of the judicial application filed with the SRPMIC Council. A misdemeanor shall be conviction of the type of behavior proscribed in Chapters 6 and 10 and §§16-231 through 16-236 of Chapter 16 (regarding DWI and Reckless Driving) of the SRPMIC Code of Ordinances, whether committed on the SRPMIC or in another jurisdiction.
d. Not been terminated from employment or practice of law in any jurisdiction, for any reason, nor suspended from same within the last five (5) years.TERM OF SERVICE
Length of Service - The Judicial Selection Committee members shall serve a term of four (4) years.
b. Committee members shall serve until they are replaced or reappointed by the SRP-MIC Council in accordance with the terms of this Policy.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- 1. Meet as required to screen applications for judicial positions.
2. Review applications and make recommendations for interviews.
3. Sit on interview panels and participate in interviews of applicants.
4. Discuss interviews with other panelists and make selections for recommendation to the SRPMIC Council.
5. Meet with Council as a Committee to make recommendations and answer any questions that may arise.
- 1. Attend meetings as called by the Chairperson of the Judicial Selection Committee.
2. Participate in the selection and interviewing of applicants.
3. Participate in meetings with the SRPMIC Council regarding selection and recommendation of candidates.
4. Participate in screening and selection of candidates in a fair and impartial manner.
5. Maintain confidentiality of applicants, committee discussions and decisions and any meetings with Council held in executive session.
Committee members will receive a stipend for their services.
If interested, pick up an application from the Council Secretary at the Administration Office 10,005 E. Osborn Rd. Scottsdale, AZ 85256 or for more information contact (480) 362-7466.