Error message

User error: Failed to connect to memcache server: :11211 in dmemcache_object() (line 415 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/memcache/dmemcache.inc).
Paula Deen (Associated Press)

Food Network Drops Paula Deen After She Admits to Using Racial Epithet

6/23/13

In the media fallout after Paula Deen admitted in a lawsuit deposition to making racial slurs at her Savannah, Georgia-based restaurant in the past, the Food Network announced on June 21 it will not renew its contract with the celebrity chef.

In her May 17 legal deposition, Deen reportedly admitted to using the "N word" in the workplace.

Deen's show, which the network has aired for 11 years, expires at the end of June. The network said it "does not tolerate any form of discrimination," reported CNN.

The Food Network's announcement came the same day Deen backed out of an interview with "Today" on NBC, claiming she was "physically unable" to make an appearance in a self-produced YouTube video in which she also apologizes for her racist remarks.

"I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done," Deen said in the video. "I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. I've made plenty of mistakes along the way but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness."

The day prior, on Thursday, Deen's restaurant company issued a statement explaining that the chef grew up in a "quite different time" in American history:

"She was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today.

After the Food Network said it would stop airing Paula Deen's three shows at the end of June, Deen released the following statement:

"... I have had the pleasure of being allowed into so many homes across the country and meeting people who have shared with me the most touching and personal stories," she said. "... This would not have been possible without the Food Network. Thank you again. Love and best dishes to all of ya'll."

Comments

Paula Deen is what America needs on television. Someone who is real and cares about family, friends, and food. She is so down to earth that I really enjoy watching her. and may I add that over the years she has many guests on her show that are African American and you can see that they are good friends of hers. What was said was obviously a mistake. FOOD NETWORK SHOULD NOT LET PAULA GO!!!!!!!

maria hughes's picture
maria hughes
Submitted by maria hughes on
I'm sure we all said things we regret and have grown from our mistakes. I think Food Network should keep Paula Deen on the air.

Really? She makes a racist remark and you fools say let it go? Boo on you. Yea to food network.

Barbara Wise's picture
Barbara Wise
Submitted by Barbara Wise on
Paula is one of the most watched on the Food Network. I don't think you can find many people who have not made a mistake in their life. I will miss her shows and I know many people who will. Wasn't her apology enough? What else would you have her do? Just look at the support her restaurants are getting from people of all races and creeds. Not renewing her contract is just too extreme. She deserves a chance to redeem herself. Are you sure this isn't just an excuse to get rid of her maybe because of her age or the fact that her food is just too good for some of your younger viewers. Younger viewers are more concerned about calories and fats. We older people love her and her recipes and we think she deserves a second chance.

Alliebabalon's picture
Alliebabalon
Submitted by Alliebabalon on
I know my company has zero tolerance for racism and sexual harassment. Kudos to Food Network for taking a strong stand on racist comments.

After all the reverse discrimination insults hurled at nonwhites in this country (i.e., Jackson, the black panthers, etc.) I am appalled that food network would fire Paula Deen, whom I find entertaining and delightful, even though I cannot use her recipes I (because of the high content of fat). I believe that the real reason for her being let go was because of jealousy.....this is a marvelous lady, who after husband deserted the family, prepared meals out of her kitchen which she and her two boys sold door to door to make a living. To me she is an American success story, and doesn't deserve to be tossed out after making $$$ for the food network. You people pulled out the Neeleys, whom I used to watch - what for? for being too lovey-dovey? What about the Extra Virgin couple? I've lost respect for food network.

Rosalie's picture
Rosalie
Submitted by Rosalie on
I object to your firing Paula. Is there anyone in your viewing network that is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes and she has apologized. She brought joy into thousands of homes with her sparkling personality, wit, and original recipes.

I have cancelled my subscription to Food Network Magazine and I refuse to watch any of you shows on the Food Network Channel. I think you made a big mistake by not standing by Paula. What ever happened to Freedom of Speech? This is something that happened before she became famous, now someone is taking advantage of her fame and fortune and extorting money because she said something derogatory years ago? She has said she was sorry, that should be enough. Everyone has said things that they've regretted and I'm sure the person suing her is no different, other than they saw an opportunity to capitalize on it! Greed seems to be the key word these days!

dave 's picture
dave
Submitted by dave on
i think we have all said something we new was wrong in our life and iam sure she did also but that doesn't make her a bad person just one who made a mistake years ago she still has my support and foodnetwork should not jump so fast this lady made them popular with the American public

Mary Ellen Moroses's picture
Mary Ellen Moroses
Submitted by Mary Ellen Moroses on
Bring back Paula Deen. Until this happens I will boycott the Food Network and all their sponsors. This includes Special K Cereal, Excedrin ,Sherwin Williams Paint, Olive Garden Restaurant and many others. I urge everyone who loves Paula to do the same. I don't condone the use of inappropriate language but she has apologized profusely. Others have done far worse and have not been fired, i.e. David Letterman having sex with his staff. An apology was enough to save his job. Black people call themselves that word on t.v. all the time and it is condoned. Is there a double standard? Give Paula another chance!

Kelly 's picture
Kelly
Submitted by Kelly on
Thank you Foodnetwork for letting her go. If she can say it once she will alway's say it again,again... I love the stand that FN is taking on this, hold your ground and dont let up. WRONG is WRONG...!!!!!!!! See Ya Paula!!!!!

alice stewart's picture
alice stewart
Submitted by alice stewart on
I'm tired of paula deen I heard long ago that she used vulgar language on her how that was deleted. another thing I quit th food show because of her heart attac recipes. who coudn't put that crap together without a recipe. no thanks I think shes a racist pig. sureb she says she repents she'll lose lots of money I never have or never will buy a ham with her racist picture on it!

alice stewart's picture
alice stewart
Submitted by alice stewart on

saba's picture
saba
Submitted by saba on
As far as I'm concerned I did not even watch Food Network until Paula Deen came along. I have talked to many people and we will all be boycotting Food Network. She is the main reason Food Network has done so well. Paula you hold your head up high, we all make mistakes and you have apologized and that is all you needed to do. Paula will rise up now a nd do even better with her cooking shows somewhere else.

Paula is the reason I watch food channel. I will stop buying my beloved Smithfield bacon.

Barbara Thomas's picture
Barbara Thomas
Submitted by Barbara Thomas on
Shame on Food Network for dismissing Paula Dean for this unfortunate thing that is going on right now.You have taken a hard working mother of two wonderful boys & a wonderful cook & knocked her down. I will not watch your show again.

Bill Erickson's picture
Bill Erickson
Submitted by Bill Erickson on
The food network will no longer be on of the channels i watch. YES Ms Dean has said some things in the past that are not acceptable now. But she grew up in the SOUTH , that was the norm then, Remember we killed INDIANS to (called them savages) but that was year's ago. COME-ON food network, show some smarts, would you hold the Erickson family up-bringing , (pillage& Plunder) for me today.. Paula Dean will survive without the food network.. But the food network shows itself, as no backbone,Wimpy, and not worth watching. So good-by dum- ass network, I,ll watch Paula Dean on whatever network has the smarts to hire her.

kingsalem's picture
kingsalem
Submitted by kingsalem on
Seriously?! Really?! I have always loved to watch the Food Network's different chefs, Paula, the Neelys, etc. I am not saying what Paula said was appropriate but what about Guy Fieri? On live television Guy admitted to getting the willies when he has to work with gay (LGBT) people. You didn't fire him. Please don't tell me these are different topics, because they are not. I understand the Food Network wants to protect its image and representation but if you are going to be fair, you might as well have fired Guy Fieri as well. Again, I am not condoning Paula's behavior, because I too have been discriminated against because of myethnicity. But just remember, fair is fair. Don't forget Guy Fieri did the same thing, discrimination, and he's still working all kinds of shows and cookbooks.

glenda rhodes's picture
glenda rhodes
Submitted by glenda rhodes on
I hope we don't have to watch the Paula Deen "saga"on every channel for the next weeks or months. Lost your job, go home.!!!!!!!!!

Laura Caplan's picture
Laura Caplan
Submitted by Laura Caplan on
Food Network, you have made a unwise mistake. Paula Deen has done nothing different from millions of Americans who used the "n" word in the past. Even though she has many enemies because of her recipes. however,they were very good. If you did not care for the use of butter, fat, etc. in her ingredients viewers had a choice to turn off the her TV shows or use he recipes. She has apologized for her past mistakes and apparently moved on. We as Americans have become super sensitive to what we view as racism.

Laura Caplan's picture
Laura Caplan
Submitted by Laura Caplan on

yerdu's picture
yerdu
Submitted by yerdu on
I think we need people like Paula, I see it every day, the black people can use the N word all day long, but if someone of a different race uses it the get outraged. God made all people the same. I am a surgical nurse, when we open a person up they all have red blood . people need to get over the past. We have been paying for the War. long enough. GET A LIFE

J Osburn's picture
J Osburn
Submitted by J Osburn on
The Food Network should be held accountable for being politically correct. People are really tired of it. You get the genuine person with Paul Deen. She made a mistake(which no-one would have known about if she had not come forward). She apologized. That should be the end of it. I feel like the Food Network may come to regret this decision.

Minnie   Jane   Clark's picture
Minnie Jane ...
Submitted by Minnie Jane ... on
I think the Food Network is way out of line. This is a shame that they have taken this stance against Paula Deen. . I believe there is another reason they are black balling her. Do they really think that people are so stupid as to think they have NEVER said anything bad about anyone.? Come on Food Network, just who do you think you are fooling ? I know there has got to be SOMETHING some where at some time in your lives that you have made a statement or something you were sorry for. Non of you are Lilly white PURE ! Let him WITHOUT sin cast the first stone..........She has said she is sorry,,,,,get over it.......

Janine McDonough's picture
Janine McDonough
Submitted by Janine McDonough on
Not that it matters to the Food Network but I have signed off of them. I love many of the chefs on that channel and love the magazine BUT dropping Paula Deen like a hot potato made me so angry. Almost 30 years ago. C'mon. Is everyone at Food Network perfect. Doubtful. What about forgiveness and second chances. Food Network went to far too fast and I will no longer watch that channel nor subscribe to their magazine. Who made them judge and jury? Shame on them for being so judgemental.

A very sad "former" viewer's picture
A very sad "for...
Submitted by A very sad "for... on
I would lilke to ask what ever happened to the freedom of speech in this country. Everyone of EVERY race, creed and color has used the "N" word in many different scenarios - does that mean we should start lining people up against the wall......Oh, wait we're not supposed to have guns! Paula, if you're reading this, I would tell you to start your own TV show. I watch...wait "watched" Food Network religiously but no more so I need a new show. You are a credit to your family and I hope you haven't taken this too much to heart. You've proven that you're a strong woman and I hope you put this behind you quickly.

I have met this wonderful lady and only if our world had more ladies like her, what a wonderful world we'd be living in. The ones who have a judgment against her are, the ones who will lose. She grew up in the south and she's a well respected lady, there's not one evil or disrespectful thing about her. I will no longer buy anything from Smithfield or Gaultney Ham Co. or watch the Food Channel again. I'm sorry for those who think they are so perfect, they can apply fault to anyone.

Malinda Belcher's picture
Malinda Belcher
Submitted by Malinda Belcher on
Food Network, you are not being reasonable. Paula Deen has not done anything that thousands of public figures have not done so many years ago. If you and others cannot forgive her, I surely hope you won't be in need of forgiveness before God. What she is doing and saying NOW and what is in her heart NOW is what is important.

S. kissner's picture
S. kissner
Submitted by S. kissner on
I am shocked that the Food network would drop Paula Deen for something she said years ago. She is so important to your network, I watch her all the time . She has a lovely family which she cares about and many black friends which she has had on her show. Many t.v. people use this word with no problem. I think you should review this decision and have her back.