Excerpt from Statement of Unity adopted by chiefs meeting with the Assembly of First Nations on December 6, 2012. (Courtesy Chiefs of Ontario)

Canada's Senate Passes Bill C-45 as Aboriginals Vow Not to Honor It

12/14/12

Bill C-45 passed 50–27 as aboriginals across Canada continued protesting under the motto “Idle No More,” and Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence began her fourth day of a hunger strike to protest abhorrent reserve conditions.

The bill will be sent to the Governor General and become law once he signs it, the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network reported. Conservative Algonquin Senator Patrick Brazeau, who voted in favor of the bill, told APTN that many chiefs supported it and that fear mongering had led to a misunderstanding of the bill. Many First Nations claim the bill undermines sovereignty and treaty rights, with some even going so far as to say that Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government is trying to terminate all their rights.

The bill amends the Fisheries Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, hte Navigable Waters Protection Act and the Canada Labour Code, according to the Chiefs of Ontario. First Nations reacted immediately and strongly to the passage, citing the lack of consultation with First Nations during the creation of a bill that profoundly affects aboriginals' daily lives.

“Bill C-45 will not be enforced or recognized by their First Nations," said a statement released by the Chiefs of Ontario in conjunction with the Nishnawbe Aski Nation, Anishinabek Nation, Grand Council Treaty No. 3, Association of Iroquois and Allied Indians, and Independent first Nations.

“At no time in the nine months that Bill C-45 was being considered did the Government of Canada discuss any matters related to it with First Nations—this bill breaches Canada’s own laws on the fiduciary legal duty to consult and accommodate First Nations," said Assembly of First Nations (AFN) Ontario Regional Chief Stan Beardy in the statement. "The Canadian government just gave birth to a monster.”

Chiefs unanimously adopted a Statement of Unity at the Assembly of First Nations' conference on December 6, 2012.

Resolution Adopted by First Nations Chiefs (Courtesy Chiefs of Ontario)

Comments

i am so sick of US PAYING FOR WHAT OUR ANCESTORS DID!!! It was almost over 100 years ago!!! let it go people!! get off your asses and get a job!!!

As for the chief on the hunger strike , looks like she will last a long , long time. Her and her 22 councillars are taking home 6 figure incomes and members of the tribe are starving & living in skidoo crates. Makes a lot of sense ! Natives should spend some of their energy fixing their own problems. As for Bill C45 - who knows - hard to get much info on exactly what it does & who it affects.

We need oil and hydro dams in canada to pay you greedy assholes. How much did your chief lose or cant account for? 100 million in 6 years... by the look of media pictures it sure didn't go to your people and this is one example,perhaps she ate the money by the look of her big ass. Treat them like canadian... get a fucking job like a canadian stop sucking the federal tit. If i have to take a piss test to work and pay taxes you should too to get free money and do fuck all but bread and complain you dont receive enough from ottawa. look for a business loan or a break well my friend shit outtta luck unless your a wagon burner. We are the ones being rolled over here but dont worry you chugs keep having 22 kids you cant raise and one day soon you can have a native pm and finish destroying the country my hats off to you so far our deficit will be racked to the roof for lysol and KFC drive down Dewdney Ave regina in the summer NATIVE PRIDE

harper and his mob have made so many people happy so make sure ya vote them in again

I say let all the natives take all the deer and moose they want as long as they use home made bows and arrows just like they did when the treaties were first drawn up. Let them buy all the horses they want tax free too for the same reason but not cars. Give them all he rights they had 200 years ago but make them live by the same standards since we the white man has made their lives so miserable.

For how long we will separate people right's? Are we leaving in a modern world or we are still in 16 th centuaries when the treaty right was signed off by bunch of drunk treaty people and english governont and was promoted to have "blue" blood?

How can the Haper Government be un-democratic if they are elected? I will agree that native's in this country have had a lot of trials. But, is Bill C-45 really that bad? I have yet to find ONE person that can explain to me what harm Bill C-45 will cause. In fact, I have yet to find ONE person that can explain to me Bill C-45 at all. I understand people are pissed off, though it would seem they are pissed off about things that may run much deeper. I have tried to read Bill C-45, though I lack training in Law, so it was difficult for me to follow. The problem with these First Nations people, is they lack organization between the 250 odd "first nations", the second problem seems that there is more than one agenda, none of which seem to benefit first nations people. The third problem I see, is very few people can honestly define bill c-45 that are not trained and overly familure with Canadian law. perhaps it is time to review each 250 year old treaty, re-write them for modern times. Everyone I speak too wants you to remember your heritage, language and culture, we (the others not native) do not want to finance this. Though, I may be encourage to help when the native community buys me a set of bag pipes and seats me for a big meal of haggis.

Although i do not agree with Natives/Indians having more services free or cheaper, i do believe in freedom, and if its freedom they want, i will be with them every step of the way.

I agree that if you want to live with all the same privlidges you had before we came to this land that you should. However you did not have cars and houses and medical and welfare etc. before we came. Seems you want what you had and what we have. That is called having your cake and eating it too. I think what the government has done to natives is absolutley horrible and criminal. you are an extreemly repressed people with not much left to be proud of. It's time you stood up (not for handouts) for the rights every human being have. That is the right to be responsible for you and yours, to make sure you raise your children to be responsible and good people, to have respect for your fellow man. There is no shame in getting help when you need it, however when you live your entire life on the system that is not getting help. That is taking advantage. Just like white people if you are given something for nothing you don't appreciate it and how can you have any pride when you live like that? If you want to be traeted like everyone else, you need to live like everyone else. I believe the reservations should be boughten from the people so they can go out in the world and have a start at being like everyone else. We are all humans that originallycame from the same beginning, it's time we started living that way. Hate will never solve this problem. It needs to be fixed in side every one of us and the way we think. If a native, black, oriental, white or whatever ethnic type you are, gets cut, we all bleed the same blood and feel pain, a different skin color makes no difference. That's cause we are all people, all born the same and all die the same. We should all be treated the same.

Wow, there is a lot of sterotypes and racist comments here!! I'm a white man, I work very hard for the things I have, which isn't much, but I do the best I can to support my family. I don't think it really matters at this point who was here first, unless someone can show me a living 200 year old. The Natives have certain right that many of us don't agree with, but so do the whites , blacks, oriental ...whoever that take advantage of the system...WELFARE. Its the Government that is flawed for letting people get away with it. I agree that there are way to many native people that would rather complain about poor old us rather than get off there ass's and do something with their lives, But seriously< we can find that in an town, village City in the country, full of people of all different race's that are playing the system the same way. Believe me, and I'm sure many of you out there have felt the same at some point in your life, just say fuck it, I give up, I'm going on welfare, in low income housing or apartments, maybe sell some weed so I don't have to pay tax and make lots of money...maybe not the weed part, but I'm sure its crossed your minds. Why are we working so hard for people totake advantage of us. Point is, Native, White , Black, we all live here, we all need this land just as much as the next guy. Treaty or no treaty, what have YOU, the people of today done to deserve any more than ME, or the OTHER guy. Lets try being equal, and treat everyone equal. If your a lazy piece of shit, people are going to treat you like one. If you are a whinner people are gonna treat you like such. If you a down right prick, people are gonna treat you that way. So be friendly to your neighbours, help the old lady across the street, spank your kid if he deserves it. This pointing fingers and saying he said she said can go on for ever so I'm going to wrap this up and say, what the fuck was this article about, cause I still don't know what Bill c-45 is and what all the bitching is about

the victim mentality is just that, a mentality, that is perpetuated by people who refuse to take responsibility for their own lives and destinies. these 'first nation' people have the exact same opportunities as any Canadian, yet they continue to fill the role of the victim, asking for more and more while producing less and less. when will you learn? nothing government gives you will ever make you complete. until you take control of your own lives you will always be a victim. this is the 21st century. we will not listen to your unwarranted victim perspective anymore. it is over.

I could only read so much bs. It's so unfortunate how racism is so alive and well. All this bickering about us Indigenous people have a free ride. To those of you who think we (Indigenous) people have a free ride and think that all we do is get drunk, jobless etc etc have absolutely no clue about our history in this country. You White folks never lived on a reserve so you have no clue how the system runs. I would tell you White folks to pick up a history book, but many of those books are eurocentric perceptions. You White folks are angry with the wrong people when really it is the government who you should be fighting with. I could go on and on to try and educate you white folks, but by reading a few comments, it looks pretty obvious absolutely nothing will register. Someone said all we do is drink, well I have maintained my sobriety for almost 19 yrs. I pay taxes etc etc. Racism HURTS big time. I grew up with it and to still see it every day is shameful. We are adults so grow up and learn something. Idle No More has made me realize one thing and that is how racism is still pretty bad and how important it for me to pursue my PhD once I'm done my Masters. My goal is to become a professor and teach First Nations Studies because I know that it is in the classroom where I can make a difference.

Julya's picture
Julya
Submitted by Julya on
I wish this "Anonymous" person leaving shitty comments about my people, would grow the balls to stand up and stand out to say these things to our faces..

claude's picture
claude
Submitted by claude on
sick of hearing how bad you Indians have it!!! I was born in this fucking country too. Do I get free education or less taxes to pay?? NO I DON'T!! You people sit back and receive millions every year to"improve the lives of your First Nations people", yet you waste every dollar you do not have to work for. Your "proud people completely outnumber any other in our jail cells and you blame the white man?? Why? you have every opportunity I don't, and you continue to waste them. YOU ARE CORRECT!! Something needs to change alright. More accountability from YOUR people not ours. Every fucking day there are more news reports about what the Indians want next. What gives you the right to block roads and railways? NOTHING, that's why I would be removed and jailed. Our government needs to grow some guts and tell First Nations it's enough already. Put your big boy and girl pants on and stop demanding free handouts.

antonio bey's picture
antonio bey
Submitted by antonio bey on
first why do people keep calling there self indian when we are moors not Indians that is a brand title that was put on the original people to take away there birth rights like negro black African colored. the invaders gave names for the people they came in contact with to enslaves us and they did by enslaving our mind. note for people seeking truth go look up white person it has nothing to do with skin color at all, black as nothing to do with skin color either our skin color is called melanin. get you a etymology and blacks law dictionary and get to work study study study.

antonio bey's picture
antonio bey
Submitted by antonio bey on
first people stop calling yourself indians you are not that our ankestors were the ancient moors wordwide and they did not go by black, negro, colored, or African those are all brands given by the invaders to have power over the people. they had to enslave the mind in order to take away our birthrights away from us and go look up white it has nothing to do with skin color it is a spell just like black. our skin color is called melanin point blank, get you a etymology and blacks law dictionary and get to work because you don't interstand that most of these people on here typing are descendants of the same people that enslave your mind and some are sons of the kkk they are just doing what there fathers did before lie lie lie, and some of the women are daughters of [dar] daughters of the American revolution and there sons became the kkk and many more secret organizations. study study study and America means in etymology term copper colored people are the real americans of the Moorish empire here in northwest amexmen the ancient name.13love to all seeking truth and 13 pain to you beast children trying to full fill your forefathers mission to keep the Moorish Americans down and never let us rise why you think everybody comes to America.

antonio bey's picture