Food Network star Paula Deen, 66, faces more controversy.

In Legal Deposition, Paula Deen Confesses to Using 'N' Word, Telling Racist Jokes

6/19/13

The National Enquirer reports it has obtained video of Paula Deen's May 17 legal deposition in which she admits to making racial slurs, saying “Yes, of course” she uses the “N” word at work, and saying that a cute idea for her brother's wedding would have involved an all-black staff wearing bow ties and pretending to be slaves.

During her three-hour questioning, the celebrity chef reportedly attempted to cushion the blow of her alleged racist remarks by saying, “It’s just what they are—they’re jokes…most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks…I can’t determine what offends another person.”

And concerning her inspiration for the slavery-themed wedding of her brother Earl “Bubba” Hiers, she explains a recent restaurant visit simply sparked the idea:

“The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie.

I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves.”

Deen ultimately ruled out the idea, fearing the media would criticize her concept as something racist.

The deposition in which Deen made the alleged admissions is part of a $1.2 million lawsuit brought by Lisa Jackson, the former manager of the Savannah, Georgia-based restaurant Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House (in 2005) run by Deen and Hiers.

In her suit, Jackson alleges Deen said, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”

Comments

grammsy1228@yahoo.com's picture
grammsy1228@yah...
Submitted by grammsy1228@yah... on
racism isn't her only problem. she also jokes maliciously about gays and thinks she's funny. I had the opportunity to hear her talk at a Washington, d.c. food show a few years ago. she made what she apparently believed were funny comments about her gay male assistant knowing about bondage (tying up meat) while he was tying up a roast. not only that, she's just plain crude at other times. she hollered thru the curtain dividers to folks taking in the next gathering area to "shut the f**k up when she thought they were too loud. this, in a mixed crowd of older folks and even children. as a result, I've stopped watching her programs, using her recipes, won't buy her books (I go to southern living instead). I had planned to buy some as xmas presents, but instead chose giada's books. she was as the food convention too, along with guy fieri, and they were both wonderful. giada was classy! I let the food network know about my experience and what I thought, but never heard back from them.

Ellen in Oregon's picture
Ellen in Oregon
Submitted by Ellen in Oregon on
Very sad to learn about Paula Deens' ignorant racist thinking. I have watched & enjoyed her cooking shows for years and it is hurtful to know she was so backward, not only her unacceptable language, but in her racist conceptualization of her brother having "slaves" dressed as if in a 1930s Shirley Temple movie. Apparetly, she is another hypocrite who in public appears to be accepting of African Americans as equals, but when the cameras are off, slips back into her real opinion of Africian Americans. There is absolutely no excuse for Ms. Deens' use of the n-word, especially when surrounded by restaurant employees who could clearly hear her unacceptable language. At first I thought Food Network might have been too harsh in deciding not to renew Deens contract for another year. Now, I totally agree. This is not a case of an older woman having a momentary lapse of judgement. A great deal of thought went into her concept of an all black wait staff dressed like "slaves". She apparently was serious about using her brothers' wedding to showcase her concept and the only reason she ditched the salve waiter theme was because she feared public outcry. Ms. Deen has exposed too much of her real attitude towards Blacks in a very public way. Once you show your true colors,it's pretty hard to pretend you are something different. There is a big difference between playing up your theatrical Southern accent for cuteness and thinking it is still alright to dress-up black men as slaves to serve you food at a wedding and think it would make for the "perfect Southern wedding". Problem is Paula Deen knew most of us would think it was an awful racist way of thinking, but she didn't understand that talking about it in public would be her downfall. It all makes me angry that I gave her and her show any attention at all. When people found out that she had hidden her diabetes while she urged the rest of us to eat her fat laden foods, I felt a bit sorry for her when she cried and hid from the cameras. Her family helped try to cover up that she continued to push the same style of cooking that had caused her to be diagnosed with diabetes. Her primary concern was protecting her cooking empire and not educating viewers that eating her food regularly could result in a life threatening illness. This time she was deceptive again, but I don't feel sorry for her at all. She is her own worst enemy and no one will buy a family cover up for her this time. She is what she is, but I don't have to watch her old shows or buy her products. I don't want to do anything that puts one more dime in her pocket.

Jan Becker's picture
Jan Becker
Submitted by Jan Becker on
She no more expressed the idea than she withdrew the idea, because she knew not only morally was it incorrect, AND, it was professionally incorrect! I loathe & deplore ANYONE who is a racist....anyone! However, Paula Deen is not in any way, form or fashion a racist! She was simply repeating a truth about a time in history that we should all be ashamed of, including today! HIRE HER BACK!!!!

sherley's picture
sherley
Submitted by sherley on
I hope this back lash does not come to haunt her Grandbabies. I have no doubt how much Paula love her family. Jamie and Bobbie rally around your Mom and give her your love and support .Forgiveness comes from the heart and Paulas pain will last a life time

Lei's picture
Lei
Submitted by Lei on
I don't condone using such a nasty word especially in this day and time. I love her as a personality and a cook but she gives no excuses as to why she used these names in the first place

Jesse summers's picture
Jesse summers
Submitted by Jesse summers on
Wow. Imagine that. The southern fat white chick from Georgia is racist. Who'd a thunk it?

BIG DOG's picture
BIG DOG
Submitted by BIG DOG on
SO SHE SAID THE "N" WHO GIVE,s A SH** HO WAIT SOMEONE IS GETTING $1.2 MILLION I KNOW WHO CARE,s I WORKED FOR A BIG COMPANY & WAS CALLED A FAT F*** & I WILL BE FIRED SOON WHERE THE HELL IS MY $1.2 MILLION LOOK,s LIKE SOMEONE ELSE IS RACIST MAYBE THE FOOD NETWORK IS DID THIS TAKE PLACE AT THE FOOD NETWORK ONLY IN THIS COUNTRY YOU COLLECT MILLION FOR SAYING THE "N" OR OTHER RACIST WORD I NEVER LIKE THE FOOD NETWORK TO MUCH FAKE B., S. GO,s ON THERE MY FRIEND WORK,s THERE

Ava From Boston's picture
Ava From Boston
Submitted by Ava From Boston on
this is really sad to know as someone that IS/WAS in love with her and ran home for junior high/ and high school to watch what she was making everyday and loved that I has no school on Saturday so I could watch her all day, this is a blow to the face especially because I am African American. She never gave off that vibe I just thought that her jokes were drop dead funny to her and I would never get it,so I never really paid any mind to it, but for her to feel that she can be so open, and feel so free to say what is really hurtful. Ive watched her since I was 13 years old and now Im 23, and now I feel like Ive been lied to and play by someone that I looked up to. Thanks Paula Deen, Sincerely officially kicked in the face.

Beth M's picture
Beth M
Submitted by Beth M on
I think what was done was wrong....I don't hear the N word used alot,..I hear White people and Black or African American used......its seems like the N word is used by more Blacks...listen to the rap music.....I feel the person who started this had it for you....wanted to find anything to get even...Fight girl...you have to much going for you...like say in todays world...so much fawl language is being used and its sad...I have even heard school kids a younger use the N word...and they here that from parents and school friends.. Good luck...God Bless You.

Alexa's picture
Alexa
Submitted by Alexa on
Jamie Foxx's career wasn't ruined when he was doing interviews for Django when he said " he was happy to shoot white people in a movie" or how about Samuel L Jackson who has stated he only voted for Obama because he is "black".

Ana's picture
Ana
Submitted by Ana on
Now I see why she was cooking all those fatty food. For people to suffer with health Problems now she's the the one with problems.Mrs Paula I looked at you more as a wonderful Mother committed to family and now I see you as an unhappy person who never got over the person who instill that hurtfulness in your soul.but were all humans, it's not about the money you have but your words worth more than your money.

Mamahlf's picture
Mamahlf
Submitted by Mamahlf on
Was what Paula admitted she DID wrong, Heck Yes.. But it was just that, what she DID, not what she's doing... She's not the first, nor will she be the last non-black person make racist remarks. The problem here is that she acknowledged that she did something wrong, and apologized for it. You'd be surprised at how many other none-black have, is and will use the N word and never admit it. I for one forgive Paula, and ask that she forgive all the people of color that have used the term "trailer trash', southern cracker and etc.. Have I came down your street yet? At one time or another, we've all said things that we shouldn't have.. Things that if made public, would embarrass us. Every person Paula's age and over lined up to see John Wayne movies, yet he was one of the most racist people that ever lived (Playboy Interview back when I was a child).. This woman don't have a racist bone in her body, it she did, she wouldn't have admitted to what she had said, DUH!! I think that the network went to far in firing her.. I don't see that there was a need for any discipline, she admitted it, she apologized, now less move on.. I'm black, I still love & like her (God say as a christian, I must love everyone, I'm allowed to choose who I like) very much... And I Pray that people will move on and let her be...

sheri's picture
sheri
Submitted by sheri on
I enjoy her show and her recipes. I don't care about her personal dealings.

Hewett's picture
Hewett
Submitted by Hewett on
Black people say a lot worse things about the white folks and so get over the fact that people say things regularly that offend others but we don't go around trying to extort money out of those that were so ignorant such a long time ago.

E.T., that's right.....'s picture
E.T., that's ri...
Submitted by E.T., that's ri... on
I am shocked and horrified by the number of like minded people who openly support the vile racist Paula Deen

Don Jones's picture
Don Jones
Submitted by Don Jones on
Why do Black folks want to continue to push the race card? I am sure Ms Jackson could see the money and why not get from Mrs. Deen. I would tell the Cooking network to take a hike and any sponsers that fire Mrs. Deen should also take a hike. I would suggest to Mrs. Deen get your own network. Let's get over the race problem and move forward. Life is to short.

Don Jones's picture
Don Jones
Submitted by Don Jones on

JCat's picture
JCat
Submitted by JCat on
She did do a no no... sorry but that puts her OUT of the celebrity media spotlight esp if you are white. Sad but true but if a black celebrity person did this it would be a slap on the hand but no loss of job or status. You can thank the 'white' liberal fruit cakes and their idealogy on racism that has imbedded this in our mindset today ...

freddie r southwell's picture
freddie r southwell
Submitted by freddie r southwell on
what is in a person mush come out . she mush pray too replace that which is not write with in her , if she wants to shine again. if she knows our lord and savory

Barbara Caniff's picture
Barbara Caniff
Submitted by Barbara Caniff on
I wonder how many people at Food Network or Smithfield have used the "n" word. I think they are trying to do the same thing to her that they done to Martha Stewart - trying to make an example of her. I am in my eighties and we always used the "n" word. No one ever said anything back then about being a racist. I think they are doing her "dirty" .

"The fact that many black people are supporting her after all of this is puzzling, but she should have learn to keep her mouth shut even if she had nothing nice to say....besides she looks scary anyway, not surprise of what comes out of her mouth"

Concerned reader's picture
Concerned reader
Submitted by Concerned reader on
I really don't think that a idea sparked would be misinterpeted as racist at all. I can't believe a judge would allow that in a courtroom. Paula is a kind , hard working lady and if anything, counter sue her for trying to swindle hard workers out of money.

Concerned reader's picture