Food Network star Paula Deen, 66, faces more controversy.

In Legal Deposition, Paula Deen Confesses to Using 'N' Word, Telling Racist Jokes

6/19/13

The National Enquirer reports it has obtained video of Paula Deen's May 17 legal deposition in which she admits to making racial slurs, saying “Yes, of course” she uses the “N” word at work, and saying that a cute idea for her brother's wedding would have involved an all-black staff wearing bow ties and pretending to be slaves.

During her three-hour questioning, the celebrity chef reportedly attempted to cushion the blow of her alleged racist remarks by saying, “It’s just what they are—they’re jokes…most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks…I can’t determine what offends another person.”

And concerning her inspiration for the slavery-themed wedding of her brother Earl “Bubba” Hiers, she explains a recent restaurant visit simply sparked the idea:

“The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie.

I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves.”

Deen ultimately ruled out the idea, fearing the media would criticize her concept as something racist.

The deposition in which Deen made the alleged admissions is part of a $1.2 million lawsuit brought by Lisa Jackson, the former manager of the Savannah, Georgia-based restaurant Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House (in 2005) run by Deen and Hiers.

In her suit, Jackson alleges Deen said, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”

Comments

Shelly awad's picture
Shelly awad
Submitted by Shelly awad on
I don't know I guess I'm just way to busy to concern myself with such trivial bullshit. My God, can anyone say anything today without offending someone, something? Here's something offensive. Who gives a shit!!

REK's picture
REK
Submitted by REK on
everybody is racist in one way or another we have so many terms for every race stop being holly wood Hippocrates, we all know black people just love white people. get over it and get a life and a job

REK's picture
REK
Submitted by REK on

linda miller's picture
linda miller
Submitted by linda miller on
okay the lady said the" N" word, but it is not half as repulsive as all these people saying the " F " word, What has happened to this world when one white woman says the "N" word but all of the black people & white people say the "' F"" word. You can't even watch a simple talk show without" FFFFF" being used and when it is said it is as normal to them as any word they said. So let the woman live in peace its not like she killed someone. Why doesn't someone complain and say something about the bad language on TV. No all you care about is one woman saying the " N "word there is a LOT MORE WORSE THINGS THAN SAYING THE "N"WORD Hey the black people say it in a lot of their music and I have not seen anywhere they have been throwed to the dogs for saying it, but look what the group of "who ever" has done to her. Better be asking God for some guidance instead of using your time to blast "Paula"

linda miller's picture
linda miller
Submitted by linda miller on

nannie123's picture
nannie123
Submitted by nannie123 on
Everyone knows someone who believes that they are always right, whether the person is your brother or your distant cousin. But how do you get along …Yes she said the wrong word and she sorry but think about all the people who work for her will be out of job soon! When have you as a person gone to a store and see a person of another color or speak another Language do you move away from them? One day I was in Wal-Mart and looking at towels and this lady was next to me...she follow me to the register and as I got to the cashier she started to scream at me and I really got scare...she told me to go back to Mexico! I had the lady call security and they came to talk to this lady who happen to be a police officer on her day off! I was really scare and cry when I got to my car! My family and extend family OUR ALL BORN HERE USA, My skin color is what God gave me and I'm bless for it . No one is prefect ! I just think that she is old school!!! Look at all she has done in her life good or bad do we hang her? We our bless ....No one is prefect...

BX's picture
BX
Submitted by BX on
I don't care that Paula Deen finds racist jokes funny . . . most people do. Boo-hoo "someone" was offended and now wants $$. Typical.

Disgusted's picture
Disgusted
Submitted by Disgusted on
As I posted on another site... During the Basketball Playoffs very recently, Kobe Bryant called other players "Faggots" on LIVE TELEVISION!!!! We heard a little bit about it on the sports "Highlights" but nothing more. And really, that's a "sports highlight"?!!!! So tell me where we draw the line?!!! Rap music is all about putting EVERY race AND the female gender down!!! And why aren't they being criticized or condemned?!!! Because the majority of rappers are African American so it's ok...?!!!!! I take offense to being labeled at a C**t, or a cracker, or a bitch, in any form!!!! So I guess now all I have to do is sue the Music Industry and the labels that allow such offensive language... So tell me Al Sharpton?!!! Where do we draw the line?!!!!!

ridge runner's picture
ridge runner
Submitted by ridge runner on
Every PC'ed company that drop her, guess I will not be shopping at their stores or watching their shows. The ones who act like the n--- phrase insults their pea sized brains, that is because they are just n---ers, as Sen Btrd said many times.

Big monty's picture
Big monty
Submitted by Big monty on
Good I bet this will teach her a lesson,and after all her indourcment get throu dropping like a hot potato this teach her keep the n*** word out of mouth the bible says what's in the heart the mouth will speak.

She's a typical power mad woman, so full of herself. A phony who sucked up to get where she is, then disses the "little people". I came to that conclusion when it was reported that she "begged" for her job back. She begs until she gets what she wants, then it's back to being a mean b*tch.

Nora Clark's picture
Nora Clark
Submitted by Nora Clark on
Why is it that any "other" nationality can say whatever they want to?? But, let someone "white" say anything and its a lawsuit. There used to be a program on tv that was called "For You Black Woman". If we had a show with "white" in it, it would never get on. And what about "BET" ?? Also, the "Black Entertainment Awards". Anyway, the "N" word doesn't mean black anymore, lots of people call each other that, it is almost as common as the "F" word, if you know what I mean. Leave her alone!!!

l miller's picture
l miller
Submitted by l miller on
Why is so so easy to judge people on things in the pass, we all know ,its because the liberal news has had a field day with it No it was not right to use the "N" word,but what about all the rest of us who day after day has to hear the "F" word. No, big news networks do not say a thing is wrong with that. The "F" word offends people just as much(or more) as the "N" word does But using the "F" word is so accepted in this world today, so what does that tell us about the people that could change TV language, it tells us they are just as liberal and vulgar as the ones using the "F" word

Trent's picture
Trent
Submitted by Trent on
Oh, give it a rest, people. Leave the woman alone. Here's a new headline: "Oh My God: Paula Deen Is Human - How Dare She!" Have you never listened to black culture? What about hip-hop or rap music?? Are you people deaf? People in that culture use that term amongst themselves about themselves. So who cares if we use it? Yes, perhaps Paula Deen was a tad insensitive, but get over yourselves, really. Intelligent people know that all this political-correctness crap is just a cover-up for people's own feelings of inferiority and insecurity, so you project it on everyone else (and yes, we're all humans and make mistakes, so that includes me too.) *sigh* And you think she's bad? What about Gordon Ramsay?? Or any of 10 or 11 other chefs I can think of that have been on the Food Network?? (a.k.a. The Racist Cuisine Network). Let the woman do whatever pandering she needs to do, and then let her get on with her life like the rest of us.....

pariee pariee's picture
pariee pariee
Submitted by pariee pariee on
*#^&WOW PAULA REALLY LOOK CALL ME OKAY SO WE CAN TALK, YOU NEED HELP...

Gandkandrews's picture
Gandkandrews
Submitted by Gandkandrews on
We every thing the Obama administration is doing to us we waste time on jokes by a southern lady. She,s not have the racist as Obama, every thing with him is race.

Carol Dilmaghani's picture
Carol Dilmaghani
Submitted by Carol Dilmaghani on
Dear Paula I think your a special,kind hearted ladie and that you have worked so hard to get to where you are today ,that people are just jealous and want a part of it.I believe that the devil is on the loose and is trying very hard to bring you down.Dont let them bring you down,keep your head up and god will always be there for you because your just a good person trying to live a normal life.God bless you and your family.

Carol Dilmaghani's picture
Carol Dilmaghani
Submitted by Carol Dilmaghani on

anonymous-dev's picture
anonymous-dev
Submitted by anonymous-dev on
like everything else we read in the papers today! It is only half believable. It can be taken out of context. Everyone I know world wide has at some point done or said something that may not have been appropriate. The era I was raised in believed that "stick n stones could break my bones, but names could never hurt me." It takes a better person to forgive, especially after her public apology. Where have all the Christians gone???? "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us". Food network & Smithfield were to quick to jump the gun. They should have stood behind her until all the facts and/or the law suit were settled. I also have to question the motive. Was it greed or jealousy that prompted it?

Can't understand's picture
Can't understand
Submitted by Can't understand on
Why is the lady suing her for her comment and for millions? I don't get why our tax money that pays court staff and judges etc. can be used for lawsuits like this and so many other lawsuits that shouldn't be allowed. Unless I don't understand, although maybe offending to someone, how did her comment add up to being sued for millions?

LACY SMITH's picture
LACY SMITH
Submitted by LACY SMITH on
JUST WRONG

Lisa Jackson just wants her 15 minutes. I hope Deen sues her in return for causing all this backlash. I feel for Paula, and her sponsers really turned their back before getting all the "facts". Shame on them.

Why so you can criticize my comments?'s picture
Why so you can ...
Submitted by Why so you can ... on
It is a daggon shame that freedom of speech is something to get fired over, something that was said many years ago. If there is one person who is reading this that doesn't use some kind of racial slur, then you are a liar. It doesn't mean that they use it put someone down because no one can help how God brought them into this world. But how many other things in this world are accepted, in front of our children, women and men of the same sex holding hands, raising babies, killing newborns, blacks calling other blacks the N word. They call white people honkeys or white trash or whatever. She couldn't be the most wholesome person in the world and if you get your feelings hurt and can't take a joke, then sorry about your bad luck. There has been criticism from the beginning of time, no one was made perfect. You can turn the channel and see all kinds of comedians talking about Hispanics, white people, doing someones mamma, making fun of people who were born with disabilities, lazy eyes, spicks, just a few to name and because a joke was done about dressing some workers up from a restaurant that they were given jobs to took it out of context, SHAME ON YOU. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. If you are embarrassed with your heritage, then talk to God for letting you even in this world. My son calls his "best friend" the N word because they are called "bros", they are brothers from a different mother. Now how funny is that. Get a life and when you see a different person, gays, woman flaunting themselves to support their kids or whoever it may be, turn your head if you don't like it. I hope Food Network rots in hell if they don't stand up for her, her two sons to.

Carolyn 's picture
Carolyn
Submitted by Carolyn on
I am from Alabama and I have used the word NIGGER more than a thousand times and that's because I was raised that way. I don't use it anymore because my Daughter-in-law has a mixed son and my brother adopted a mixed girl and my nephew married a mixed girl and has two daughters. What makes people think they have a right to judge Paula Deen when they are not perfect. What are you going to do to me? If I was someone like Paula you would fire me right away but since I'm a no body I can get away with saying what I want to say even the N word. Come on people use common sense here. O'Bama is a lair, thief, and an over all N for what he is doing to our United States. But that's OK he can get away with what he is doing because he's black.

Granna R's picture
Granna R
Submitted by Granna R on
First let me say I do not like or use slurs against anyone they are nasty & hurtful and not necessary.. So Paula made a nasty comment, do you know anyone who hasn't? It was years ago. People should remember that Paula was brought up in the south before we were so concerned about being so politically correct and that term was used freely. Should she be punished for being born in the South at a time when people used the N word all the time? Wake up and judge her for what she is now, not what happened years ago.