Error message

User error: Failed to connect to memcache server: :11211 in dmemcache_object() (line 415 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/memcache/dmemcache.inc).
Paula Deen (Associated Press)

Food Network Drops Paula Deen After She Admits to Using Racial Epithet

6/23/13

In the media fallout after Paula Deen admitted in a lawsuit deposition to making racial slurs at her Savannah, Georgia-based restaurant in the past, the Food Network announced on June 21 it will not renew its contract with the celebrity chef.

In her May 17 legal deposition, Deen reportedly admitted to using the "N word" in the workplace.

Deen's show, which the network has aired for 11 years, expires at the end of June. The network said it "does not tolerate any form of discrimination," reported CNN.

The Food Network's announcement came the same day Deen backed out of an interview with "Today" on NBC, claiming she was "physically unable" to make an appearance in a self-produced YouTube video in which she also apologizes for her racist remarks.

"I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done," Deen said in the video. "I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. I've made plenty of mistakes along the way but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness."

The day prior, on Thursday, Deen's restaurant company issued a statement explaining that the chef grew up in a "quite different time" in American history:

"She was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today.

After the Food Network said it would stop airing Paula Deen's three shows at the end of June, Deen released the following statement:

"... I have had the pleasure of being allowed into so many homes across the country and meeting people who have shared with me the most touching and personal stories," she said. "... This would not have been possible without the Food Network. Thank you again. Love and best dishes to all of ya'll."

Comments

william klinker's picture
william klinker
Submitted by william klinker on
I am very unhappy about the food netwark taken her off as the holy Bible who is with sin only Jesus

Cliff's picture
Cliff
Submitted by Cliff on
Are you kidding me this whole N word is crap the N,s can call me names insult me tear me apart on tv, movies, radio, it does not matter. This whole sensitive to every race but the whites has to stop. We are all American's not African American unless you come from Africa, not English American's unless you where born in England. This is extortion plan and simple and the food network are morons for following this oh my god she said the N word crap. Do white people call them self blood brothers and sister because they have white skin, no but blacks do it has to stop. We have a black president that means blacks do not need special protection from us white folks.

M Alexander's picture
M Alexander
Submitted by M Alexander on
I am so disappointed with the way Food Network, Smithfield, and other companies who may follow suit have handed out what I consider to be a premature judgment on this issue. As for me, as long as these corporations hold to their current decision on this matter, I will no longer watch the Food Channel; buy anything from Smithfield, or any other company that jumps on this band wagon. It seems to me that we should consider the possibility that the person bringing about these charges could simply be looking for an opportunity to profit off of another person's self-made success. In her deposition I see Ms. Deen is an honest person who told the truth about events that happened in the past and has been unjustly punished for being honest. Shame on the people who head these corporations.

Food network no more's picture
Food network no more
Submitted by Food network no more on
Are you kidding me ? The woman says something 30 years ago and you fire her. Give me a break. I will no longer watch you show and I am canceling my subscription to you magazine. When I need a recipe ill go to Allrecipes.com

Rea's picture
Rea
Submitted by Rea on
I am doing away with Food Network!!!!! I am done this is crazy about Paula Deen. I don't think there is a person on this planet that has not used the N word and that includes all you such as your CEO's, CFO's etc or any employee at food net. I am done !!!!!

Samantha 's picture
Samantha
Submitted by Samantha on
Big mistake taking her off Food Network for something so stupid as a little racial slur from years ago like really??? Everyone makes mistakes nobody is perfect. I think it's wrong to punish her this way. I will never watch food network if Paula isn't on. She is the BEST

doug nix's picture
doug nix
Submitted by doug nix on
If there is anyone on this food network please let me know, Its so nice to know that all on the network has never made a mistake..The whole bunch is totally two faced. Put Paula Dean back on the air!!!!!!!!!

shawnieinhershey's picture
shawnieinhershey
Submitted by shawnieinhershey on
I think you reacted too quickly. I do believe she is being set up and i hope her supporters will continue to support her. I will not cointinue to use, refer too or in any way support Food Network! Thank You

justice1's picture
justice1
Submitted by justice1 on
Look out Food Network by letting her out of her contract she's free to find greener pastures . I thought they might fine her or use a moral clause on her to help send her to a program to make a change her ways. Now people will go looking for her on some other Network. No I don't think what she said is right but some times people go over board and miss an opportunity that presents its self. Use this as an example and help others so they won't do the same thing. We need to fix "Racism" in America. If you agree with me or not lets start being Americans not Black, White, or what ever color you are. I am an American and proud of it. So is Paula Deen. She needs to stand with all of us, As for color we all need to turn a bind eye to it. It need to be people first.