Error message

User error: Failed to connect to memcache server: :11211 in dmemcache_object() (line 415 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/memcache/dmemcache.inc).
Facebook/Standing Our Ground for Veronica Brown
Veronica Brown

Dusten Brown Stops Litigation So Veronica Can Live 'Normal Childhood'

10/10/13

Dusten Brown released the following statement on Thursday, October 10:

Thank you all for coming today. It’s been two and a half weeks since our daughter Veronica left with Matt and Melanie Capobianco for South Carolina. It’s difficult to put into words how empty our home feels without her. To come home from work and not have her greet me, to come to the door and grab me no matter how dirty I am, or going into her room and seeing all of her toys, without her playing with them—is the worst pain I have ever felt.

Me, my wife, Veronica’s grandparents, her sister, cousins, aunts, uncles and extended family and friends are heartbroken without her, but I know we did everything in our power to keep Veronica home with her family.

During this four-year fight to raise my daughter, I had to make many difficult decisions—decisions no father should ever have to make. The most difficult decision of all was to let Veronica go with Matt and Melanie Capobianco last month. But it was no longer fair for Veronica to be in the middle of this battle. It was the love for my daughter that kept me going all this time. But it was also the love for my daughter that finally gave me the strength to accept things that are beyond my control.

The time has come for me to let Veronica live a normal childhood that she so desperately needs and deserves, and that means stopping the ongoing litigation here in Oklahoma. Veronica is only 4 years old, but her entire life has been lived in front of the media and the entire world, and I cannot bear for that to continue any longer. I love her too much to continue to have the spotlight on her. It is not fair for her to be in front of the media at all times. And her safety, happiness and well-being have always been my number one priority.

I want to thank everyone who has supported me in this fight to keep my daughter at home with me and her family. We never dreamed that so many people from around the world would support us in this effort to raise our daughter. We appreciate each and every one of you more than you know. Every card, letter and email has been precious, and we cannot thank you enough.

I know that the Capobiancos love Veronica very much and will provide her with a good home. It is my greatest hope we can work together on a solution that is best for Veronica—one that allows me to continue to be a part of my daughter’s life, and see and speak with her on a regular basis.

And to Veronica—one day you will read about this time in your life. Never, ever for one second doubt how much I love you, how hard I fought for you or how much you mean to me. My home will always be your home, and you are always welcome in it. I miss you more than words can express. You will always be my little girl, my princess, and I will love you until the day I die. I love you and hope to see you soon.

Comments

God's picture
God
Submitted by God on
As ye reap shall ye sow - you gave up your parental rights. You did not want her. Other people did. And now you want us to by sympathetic because you decided you DID want her. Shame on what YOU did to your daughter.

frankbrown's picture
frankbrown
Submitted by frankbrown on
To understand the importance, of knowing where you as an adopted or displaced person come from, imagine lying awake at night, trying to remember your mama's voice and gradually your memory of her voice and face gradually fades away as you become acculturated to a family who look nothing like you and know nothing of your culture - except that you are a Native American. Poor little girl.

Wanblee Ishta's picture
Wanblee Ishta
Submitted by Wanblee Ishta on
I hope with all my heart that you get to be a major part of her live. And I find it extremly brave that you let these people "win" just so your daughter can lead a calm, happy life. I admire you for that :)

Roberta Irving's picture
Roberta Irving
Submitted by Roberta Irving on
I hope the Capobiancos will find it in their hearts to let you see and talk with your daughter. You are a very strong person and are right not to drag this on any longer for Veronica's sake. Thankyou for sharing this with the world Blessings to you and your family

bullbear's picture
bullbear
Submitted by bullbear on
Only our Creator knows what lies ahead of us and often times we cannot understand why events in our lives turn out the way that they do. In my thinking, one of the best deeds we can do is pray for everyone who is affected - whether they are directly a part of this heartbreaking decision or showed their support. Mr. Brown, nobody can truly know what emotions you are feeling. Some may have an idea as they have had a similar experience, however no two people on this earth can feel exactly alike. However, we know in our own minds and hearts how sad we feel for you and your entire family. Please know that there will be many prayers before the night is over so that as a new day breaks some of the pain you and your loved ones feel will be lifted. -An Apache/Navajo brother

Linda P's picture
Linda P
Submitted by Linda P on
Oh how i feel your Pain, as i read your words with tears falling freely. You, your family & most of all Veronica are In my Prayer's.

sue fugate's picture
sue fugate
Submitted by sue fugate on
i surely pray that dusten will be allowed to play a big role in his daughter's life...children should not be held back from the love they deserve in our world today...maybe when the child is old enough to make up her own mind, things will be different if she is allowed to see her father....maybe she can have two loving biological parents to bestow the love upon her they both have shown during this heartwrenching time....the best to all of u, especially l'il Veronica....

sue fugate's picture
sue fugate
Submitted by sue fugate on

sue fugate's picture
sue fugate
Submitted by sue fugate on

mykaayah's picture
mykaayah
Submitted by mykaayah on
I read this and cried. I feel your pain. I helped raise my daughter-in-laws little girl. She and my son divorced, but they had a son. she and I remained friends, so when she remarried and got pregnant, I kept her little girl too since I was keeping my biological grandson. For five years, I cared for her, bought her clothes, prayed for her when she was sick, and she and I became best friends; but when she divorced this man and remarried once again, her new husband did not want me to have any influence in their lives. He told my baby that I was not her grandmother. The day she came to my house and said "grandma you are not my grandma" I was heartbroken, because we did not see a need to tell her since I was taking care of both children. But then she said I don't care if you are not, you still love me don't you. I told her I always will and as you said my doors are always open for that little girl. He will not let her call me or have anything to do with me. My biological grandson does, but my little girl can't. She is so beautiful. I will pray for you and your family.

I don't believe that this was ever an issue that was directly related to the ICWA because of the fact that he did give up his rights. I felt like it forced tribes and tribal members, formally and informally, to take a side where there really was nothing in this case that pertained to his tribal identity initially. The family that took the child in deserved to keep her from the start and I am glad that this is all over and that the kid can have a permanent home. I do hope, however, that the family does allow the biological father to be a part of the child's life.

Mary Ellen's picture
Mary Ellen
Submitted by Mary Ellen on
Really, God, what about that love you're always preaching about? I have two friends who have exes serving in the National Guard and both friends have full custody of their children, but they do not have the right, under the law, to adopt out the children they share with these men. Dusten Brown was persecuted in the court of public opinion, just as the adoption industry wanted him to be, aced out his paternal rights based on the inadmissible testimony of Christine Maldonado? And Melanie Capobianco, who couldn't remember anything about was is undoubtably the biggest transaction of her life (it's not every day that someone buys a baby and calls in all their political favors to do so). We can allow the adoption industry to artfully craft a definition of abandonment that has no bearing on reality, that serves them and only them, and then deny Veronica the inherent human right to be raised in her family of origin...you'll have a hard time convincing me this is justice and I have a hard time believing you'll be able to convince Veronica of it as she ages. Truly, if you were raised in a biological family, did you ever spend one second thinking about the family that was "meant" to adopt you, as these so-called good Christians seem to think these adoptions were ordained by you, God, and that you put the right baby in the wrong womb (which is what these women, Christine Maldonado included, are to the adoption agencies...gestational carriers). Did you ever want to be adopted? No child, except those who have truly been orphaned, abused and abandoned (and not the cheesy self-serving construct of abandonment) ever think about adoption, and even those I know who have had the extreme circumstances mentioned always wanted their parents back or their parents to get better. And you've gone a created an orphan, all to meet the needs of a couple that I doubt have the emotional capacity to be parents. That's okay...they'll pimp out Veronica as needed, as they've done in the past. Good job, God, you broke a child's heart.

metis22's picture
metis22
Submitted by metis22 on
Veronica Brown-Capobianco is luckier than most, she will always know her real daddy loved and wanted her, she has a home to come back to. Fathers' Rights are now in the limelight, questioning the rights of states to order fathers to pay child support for 18 years IF the mother wants to keep a baby but not allowing him to have any say if the child is sold/adopted. Matt and Melanie are saying they "deserve" privacy now that their media circus has purchased them a child but they seem to plan to keep her in the news by pursuing "gimme the money." How many books, movies and TV appearances do they plan to recoup their most precious asset-their money? Their entitlement mind-set may be sadly broken when they realize Veronica will never see them as her only parents. I hope she is able to have a decently happy childhood free of them lying about her real father and People. There is in the news an 80y.o. man who was orphaned and adopted - he had a good life but ALWAYS wanted to know his real family. Hopefully, Veronica only has to wait 13 years, 11 months and she can make it through without too much resentment and anger at the ilk of adoption industry that made her a pawn in their $30K/a child industry. The work is so this does not happen to another child. Where are Baby Deseray and Baby Jared???

tsalagi51's picture
tsalagi51
Submitted by tsalagi51 on
There is one thing that the courts and her adoptive parents can't take away from her. She is a member of the Cherokee Nation and will always be. Trust me, she will cherish that for years to come and will come home to the land that will care for her unlike the ones who care only for their own power over others.

chahta ohoyo's picture
chahta ohoyo
Submitted by chahta ohoyo on
dear god.... you are so oblivious as to what is going on...just shut up and go away

C Kaltz's picture
C Kaltz
Submitted by C Kaltz on
The decision of the father reminds me of the true mother who would not allow her child to be divided, and cried to Solomon to give her child to the other woman in order to spare the child. After so much time, I don't understand how the Capobianco's could have continued like they did and actually take the child away from her family, all of her family. Personally, I feel they should have backed away, and then asked to see Veronica from time to time.

Joannie's picture
Joannie
Submitted by Joannie on
Your statement is from the heart. It is filled with the love of a real parent. Out of love you are letting Veronica go, and out of love, she will return. Now it is time for the Capobiancos to rise to your level of character and do the right thing. In any case, the seeds have already been sown for Veronica to find her way back to you.

lena's picture
lena
Submitted by lena on
Finally! Veronica is home where she belongs. She will still have a relationship with her biological dad, but will be home with her parents.

AB 's picture
AB
Submitted by AB on
Mr. Brown. My heart aches for you, your family, and Veronica. I pray the Capibianco's allow you, her father, to have a presence in your daughter's life. You are gentleman and have proven it time and again throughout. It takes a strong and truly loving heart to do what you have done. I will keep you your family and your daughter in my prayers.

A Navajo Support's picture
A Navajo Support
Submitted by A Navajo Support on
And we know that in all things God works for the good for all those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose (Rom 8:28). God is a good god. Things will get better, keep faith in Him. Be blessed.

sweetgrass777's picture
sweetgrass777
Submitted by sweetgrass777 on
@God So true. I can also say this is true for the entire Cherokee Nation there in Oklahoma. Although it is truly sad for a child to lose a parent and to go through the trauma of being shuffled back and forth it is a lesson to be learned. If the Cherokee Nation had fought as hard to keep the Freedmen in the tribe whom they enslaved, then banished than the fight they put up to keep them out as they did this child who was enstranged to them maybe they would have been blessed with a more fortunate ending. The Cherokee Nation as bleached out as they are using Native Identity and heritage as a pawn when they feel it suits them is hypocrisy. I cannot believe in the 500 years history of this country where both Natives, Blacks and Europeans have share a long history that if you go to Oklahoma you can count the number of Black Cherokee on one hand. On the other hand you can see Whites everywhere in the Nation. Something is definitely wrong with this picture. Always have been. While Our people have been systematically wipe out through Physical Genocide or paper Genocide we have become pawns of this crooked system of lies and deceit and wasting time and energy on things we know are lies. The Cherokee Nation is not great but Racist and sellouts. Who can sympathize with those who have wronged others and deny others their heritage and rightful place. The Creator never fails us and will right the wrongs. I would say to her father and also mother that Children are not pawns on a board game they are our future! They carry on our names our histories and our cultures. A good lesson to be learned. The Creator never forgets.......

nokomis's picture
nokomis
Submitted by nokomis on
I have to agree with the comments written by Sweetgrass777, you stated it eloquently, although, not sure if I agree with the religious aspects because what does the Creator have to do with all of this? What goes around comes around is a universal law that needs to be acknowledged in this scenario. I am confident that Veronica will be a part of her biological mother and father's life because the Capobianco love her very much and are not evil people.

melanie sylvestre's picture
melanie sylvestre
Submitted by melanie sylvestre on
I am devastated by what your family is going through. I was put up for adoption when I was 4 months old it tore me up inside but that was because my families never talked openly and when I asked questions to hard for them to answer they would shrug me off. When I turned 16 I had a chance to meet by biological parents same thing the questions were to hard to answer. For a child at any age it is sometimes difficult to be happy especially when you do not know why you were given up or why the people that adopted you were the way they are. I am thankful for being alive but tired of secrets and lies it has torn me apart. I just want to say you are the best dad ever and Veronica is very blessed to have a father that loves her so much and she will become apart of your life again. Every adopted child looks for there birth parents because your heart is not completely full there is always something missing. I am just so glad you and your family will do right by her NO MATTER WHAT. Questions are hard to answer but us kids need to hear it from our loved ones. I know residential schools and poverty are the reason for me being given up but it would have been nice to hear from those who claim to love me. Stay strong your love for each other will bring you back together I promise you have a bond that no one can take or replace. with much love Melanie Sylvestre.

melanie sylvestre's picture
melanie sylvestre
Submitted by melanie sylvestre on

Bluesky Martinez's picture
Bluesky Martinez
Submitted by Bluesky Martinez on
Says a lot about you as a parent to love her enough to let her go. It's hard to grow up without your parents. Her other parent, foster and step parents, good ones, will help her understand how loved she is by you and everyone else in her life. She needs to know she won't be hurt by loving them and you at the same time. It's hard and it is a terrible thing for a child to experience especially if the fosters are unfit. To have to stand in front of a judge who knows nothing about you or your family, letting them make a decision about where you are placed is hard to understand for a child. I speak from personal experience but I am not saying I know what it's like for her. I only know what it was like for me. I have since re-united with my mom and family I wasn't allowed to be with. I was in foster care since the age of 5 months up until age 18 which was 20 yrs. ago. She is a lucky little girl to have people love her so much like you all do. Take care and good luck in the future ok?

Kirsten's picture
Kirsten
Submitted by Kirsten on
This is heart breaking. It is like the story in the bible of the judgement of Solomon,where he ordered the child cut in half to be given to 2 woman claiming the child as theirs. The woman that gave the child up to prevent harm, was declared the rightful mother.I hope that the birth mother and adopted parents will have to account how much money changed hands and if the baby not only sold but by deception.That should have been done from the beginning. I thought there are laws to prevent child trafficking in place in the U.S.