A British man who goes by the name Mangas Colaradas, in what he says is an honor to a great leader of the Apache Indians, was recently granted permission to keep badger paws and Eagle wings in his home. Colaradas has supposedly been living as an Apache Indian for the past 20 years.

British Man Living as an Apache Wins Right to Keep Badger and Eagle Parts in His Home

Vincent Schilling
8/28/12

A British man living in South Wales who has lived as an Apache Indian for the past 20 years under the name Mangas Colaradas will be allowed to keep badger paws and Eagle wings in his home. Colaradas, who was charged under the Protection of Badgers Act and the Wildlife and Countryside Act over the badger and eagle relics, was informed court proceedings had been discontinued according to a Crown Prosecution Service representative.

According to Colaradas, who was born in Wales, close to 6,000 miles from the Apache tribal nation and has appeared in court wearing a ceremonial head dress, tasseled jacket, suede moccasins and a snake’s head necklace to deny charges by the Swansea magistrates court said in an article by the United Kingdom based Daily Mail, “It’s been a big waste of money and a dreadful thing to have hanging over me. But I was always confident I would clear my name.”

Colaradas who refuses to reveal his original name and only answers to his Native name  Mangas Colaradas presumably after the Apache Chief Mangus Coloradas said of the dropped charges, “Common sense should have come into it far sooner but they just don’t understand my Native way of life.”

Though several UK-based news publications are lauding the efforts of Colaradas as a bit of a success story, Apache tribal members in the United States aren’t as impressed with the outcome or the situation.

According to Fort Sill Apache Chairman Jeff “Haozous” Houser and Tribal Historian Michael Darrow, who are both great-great grandsons of the actual Apache Chief Mangus Coloradas, the entire matter is a bit of an embarrassment.

“Mangus was my great-great grandfather,” said Haozous, who then added, “This is not really appropriate.”

Fort Sill Apache Tribal Historian Michael Darrow also added, “This is embarrassing and it gives people the impression that being Native American is a lifestyle rather than a nationality. Tribes have treaties with the United States. Being Apache is not just a matter of a personal choice.”

Darrow also commented on the fact that Colaradas was trying to move to the U.S. and live on what UK publications are calling “red reservations.”

“Based on the images I’ve seen, he wouldn’t be too picky about which reservation he could live on. It is unfortunate he is going with the fantasy and popular cultural version of an Apache’ rather than being careful of how he is representing our culture,” said Darrow.

Darrow also commented on the courts dropping the case against Coloradas who will still be keeping animal parts he collected while living in a teepee in Spain.

“I don’t know the laws of that area, but I wonder if they were dropping the case because they are accepting his explanation of his American Indian culture,” Darrow said that if this was the case, than the courts were basing their decision based on a particular lifestyle only.

“If they dropped it because of a lifestyle, than he is getting away with more than American Indians can get away with,” he said.

As far as living in a teepee, Darrow says the embarrassment is not toward the Apache people, “The embarrassment felt is for him.”

Comments

andre's picture
andre
Submitted by andre on
I often wonder do they (Europeans) do this because they feel guilty, or is it because they are crazy.

redhaircrow's picture
redhaircrow
Submitted by redhaircrow on
The irony, among the many other obvious points, is that he's not even traditionally dressed as an Apache. With the numerous problems actual natives have in Europe of people culturally appropriating our traditions, history and culture as their own, this is a really unfortunate ruling but clearly presents the lack of understanding by the EU system on this...besides what seems a lack of caring of what inherent problems this ruling can cause in the future for Native Americans. A challenge of some sort should be made.

sheilamears's picture
sheilamears
Submitted by sheilamears on
This is absurd. If he was born in Wales, he might be Celtic, as am I (mixture of Irish, Scottish and Welsh). I have Hopi friends, whom I greatly admire, but I cannot declare myself to be Hopi any more than they can declare themselves Celtic. You are what you are! And if he lived in a tepee and dressed like a Hollywood Dakota (sort of) he did not even bother to research the Apache nation at all. Come to think of it, my Hopi friends did once refer to "wannabees". I suppose this idiot is one of them.

vcornelia's picture
vcornelia
Submitted by vcornelia on
they are idiots, they just do not have brains i wish i had this guys adress or email so I could gibe him a piece of my mind..I live in the UK, and people here are ignorant and lazy

lozana's picture
lozana
Submitted by lozana on
No matter where they are located they are never satisfied. He gets away with what we let him get away with.

softbreeze's picture
softbreeze
Submitted by softbreeze on
I seriously doubt that he's doing this because he feels guilty. He is a citizen of the E.U., therefore probably neither he nor any of his ancestors ever had anything to do with the activities of the U.S. in regards to treatment of natives of North America. It is also unlikely that he understands that his choices are offensive. Folks in the E.U. probably receive even less education regarding native nations than the miniscule and often inaccurate information most students in America receive. It's likely that he sees in the native culture a way of life and spirituality and community bonding that he feels is missing in his own culture and community. Actually, from what I've been learning about the pre-Christian celtic pagan religion, there are alot of similarities between the 2 belief systems. Although he probably is a little eccentric, it might be better to encourage him to learn about the celtic religion, and offer to kindly educate him about cultural appropriation, and maybe offer some kind of cultural exchange thru e-mail or something. I think the more positive relationships between native/metis americans and people from other cultures and parts of the world, the better it will be for everyone.

mskyeyebear's picture
mskyeyebear
Submitted by mskyeyebear on
hi do you have any informations on him contact/email/website so we would like to inform/write/report on him ?? thank you ily

editors's picture
editors
Submitted by editors on
Thank you for you comment! Unfortunately we don't.