Error message

User error: Failed to connect to memcache server: :11211 in dmemcache_object() (line 415 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/memcache/dmemcache.inc).

Tom Cole Calls for Redskins Name Change (so Does Katt Williams)

1/18/13

Representative Tom Cole (R-OK), one of two Natives in Congress, yesterday joined the groundswell of support for a new name for Washington, D.C.'s NFL franchise.

"Come on," Cole said, according to Roll Call. "This is the 21st century. This is the capital of political correctness on the planet. It is very, very, very offensive. This isn’t like warriors or chiefs. It’s not a term of respect, and it’s needlessly offensive to a large part of our population. They just don’t happen to live around Washington, D.C."

Cole's appeal follows on statements made by D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray and the National Congress of American Indians. Another voice agreeing with Cole -- and it's hard to imagine what else they might agree on -- is comedian Katt Williams. "Do you understand the quality of racism that is?" Williams asks, in a video (below) posted to the internet last week. "Can you please not keep disrespecting the people we already admit we did wrong?"

Comments

I have long believed that specific change was overdue. I am part native American, but so far removed from any association that it really doesn't count. That said, It's only logical that any group would find it offensive. Black Skins, Yellow Skins... that would have been changed long, long ago.

It counts if you make it count;if it matters to you. Red Skins would not be the same as Yellow Skins because the name refers to the underside of the scalps that were bought by the U.S. government. The celebration of this name is unbearable.

Though I agree with him...and he has the right to his opinion...Kat Williams needs to worry about keeping himself out of trouble...and let others handle the issues of an NFL franchise's name.

Red Skins to the Native people is ofensive because it brings back the history of Natives being hunted down and killed and their blood stain red skins were sent to the US government for bounty money. We still morn for the suffering our ancestors suffered.

Tom Cole should clean up his neighbor, Union High School, Tulsa, Ok. Redskin has been their logo for years and refuse to change it or discuss changes with Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism.

I always ask people if they've seen the Frito Bandito, Speedy Gonzalez, or Sambo recently. Obviously they haven't. Why? Because the images were and are racial stereotype images that members of those races as well as any reasonable person regardless of race found offensive not only in their physical depiction but in the historical undertow that shadows them.They are now gone and most people I think understood why and have accepted the banishment. However when it comes to Indian mascots people get really upset at Indians who want to rid the popular culture of them. Why? Ignorance I suppose. The vast majority of people in America don't have contact with Indians nor does the educational system help much in ending the ignorance. When a people and their history is unknown, they reside in the margins of people's thinking and emotions. The fogging or invisible image and existence makes it easy for non-Indians, including hispanic and black pro athletes, to dismiss and/or belittle the concerns of Indian people. "Hey we're just trying to honor you redskins." PS. Many of those non-Indians living close to or with Indians in Indian Country often ballast their racial prejudices with: "Hey we live with them, they deserve our scorn."

I just posted a comment about Speedy Gonzalez, et al. I forgot to add my name: Bernie Azure

We can start a lacrosse team called the white skins, and exploit the hell out of them. We'll see how that works out.

I am Native and I like the Redskins as a football team, we cheer for them because they have the Redskins name. I think we should leave it as it is, this is nothing compared to all the other issues we have. Like poverty, education,etc. I am sure there are other who feel the same. Please leave it alone.

I find it hilarious that the usual bandwagon jumpers are still as uneducated and stupid as always, firstly for the uneducated and unfortunately even the name of the website is "The term and word "Indian" was invented by the English" simply because the British colony of India at the time of settlement first described them as similar to the Indian of "India" to say anyone else cannot use an "English" term is ridiculous as for the Redskins team it is akin to the wolf whistle, no team would call themselves something they dislike, a team name is a statement of of pride the complete opposite of a racist remark or public statement, so no court win there, just as whistling is in fact not one but several languages, as the windtalkers of the Indian nation know full well, and in the same way a wolf whistle is a whistle word for beautiful, it is not an offence to call out the word beautiful in any language, only ugly women are offended they are not whistled at and there bandwagon friends who wish to remove the rights of others. I find it sad that the native nations of all people would seek to remove the rights of others after having so many taken from them. Grow F@cking up, imitation if the highest form of flattery and also keeps the nations in a high profile position. remove you name and face from the world of the white people and you will vanish like all others who know one sees, for the modern world is not a song on a radio but a video clip, a visual recognition is all the modern world now knows. or go ahead and cut your own throats. Do I know what I am talking about above and beyond these remarks? I work in with the Native communities in Australia, there are those who help and the idiot do gooders who simply let them do anything they please, EG: the number one killer of Australian aboriginals is diabetes, the local shop in a fully aboriginal owned town called Wadeye sell sugars in 10kg/22 pound pales, there is no business to wholesale too, it is for them, or you can by the small 4kg/8.8 pounds, about as dumb as allowing anaphylactic people to buy large quantities of nuts, it is a genetic flaw and is allowing self harm. but hey like I said be the do gooders and cut your own people throats, after all once westerners/white people get sued once there will be no more movies or logos and as the Native Americans have no logos or movies on the world stage you will vanish from the world stage and subsequently UN recognition, wha are they again? what's happening with them? what part of india are you from? The world stage is the only thing protecting you from a U.S government who invades other countries who attack no one, who admitted the tear gas the ignited at WACO Texas was fired to torture the children to get the parents to capitulate, admitted in a televised hearing, yet no charges against the government for torturing children deliberately. You may hate the cartoons of old and films, but it was the movie Soldier Blue that first showed the real truth about the 7th cavalry and what is now the mainstay attitude of the US military. Go ahead put yourselves in the dark, because once the white western cultures stop putting your face and names out there who will see you? Protest you say?? I've never seen an American Indian protest in Britain or Australia? Plan on flying tens of thousands globally. We are not all your enemies. Did you know that in 2000 the Australian Queensland Government bought in a law and backdated it 10 years to imprison 1200 people for a combined total of 1500 years, and even after 50,000 plus letters and emails never once made the media it was called 207b, it extended the sentences of all prisoners who had committed offences on parole for the previous ten years because they could not fill all the newly built prisons, even though the law required the judge to have already taken that into account at sentencing, so were punished twice for the same crime. Ytube is simply considered the place for conspiracy theories and wild claims.