The sun rises over the sacred Pe' Sla prairie near Deerfield Lake. (Benjamin Brayfield/Rapid City Journal)

Tribes Reach $9 Million Goal and Purchase Sacred Site of Pe' Sla

Vincent Schilling
11/30/12

In a historic culmination of events leading up to the Pe’ Sla purchase deadline of November 30, the Great Sioux Nation, or Oceti Sakowin has managed to raise the $9 million necessary to secure the sacred land in the Black Hills of South Dakota. In a private affair between the Reynolds family and representatives of the Great Sioux Nation, the contracts have been signed and the land is now in the hands of the nation.

According to Rosebud Sioux Tribe Chairman Cyril “Whitey” Scott, the purchase is a done deal. “I can tell you that Pe' Sla, the sacred land on behalf of the Oceti Sakowin, is secured. The $9 million was secured, Pe' Sla has been purchased.”

In an interview with Chairman Scott minutes ago, he read the only official statement released by the Great Sioux Nation and said anything stated before his comments have been “unofficial.”

“The historic requisition of Pe’ Sla started today in Rapid City, South Dakota. The Rosebud Sioux Tribe, the Crow Creek Tribe, and the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Tribe community gathered in a historic assembly of the United Tribes.

Pe’ Sla is sacred because it is related to the Lakota creation and it is the site for annual ceremonies. It has historically hosted many village gatherings. Black Elk, the Lakota visionary sought his visions at Pe’ Sla. It is the high mountain on a prairie in the heart of the Black Hills.

The land of Pe’ Sla was once protected by the 1868 and 1851 Sioux nation treaties. The United States violated those treaties and took the Black Hills in violation of the fifth amendment of the Constitution. Today the requisition is a historic event for the Lakota, Dakota and Nakota people. The tribes will work together to form the Oceti Sakowin Sacred Land Protection Commission to protect Pe’ Sla. We will preserve the sacred site for traditional and cultural ceremonies and keep it in a pristine state for our future generations.

We are grateful to stand together before the creator and to help our people in reclaiming one of our most sacred sites. We are not waiting for the United States to deal with this justly on the Black Hills rights and we ask that now that we are exercising our inherent sovereign authority to protect this most sacred site. We must perpetuate our way of life for future generations.

We thank the members of the public who donated to this cause to create justice for all people and now we are more determined than ever that the United States must provide justice for our people. We thank the Reynolds family for working with us in our requisition of Pe’ Sla as a sacred site for Lakota, Nakota and Dakota people.”

According to Scott, The Reynolds family was also present at the signing. Though he said he was not able to release any other details Scott did say, “This was one of the most heartwarming experiences I have ever experienced in my life besides becoming a leader of the Oyate Sakowin.”

Comments

Good news!

This sacred place is exclusive for the uses of all authentic traditional members of the Ochiti Sakowin Oyate, (The Seventh Counsel Fires of the Great Sioux Nation, to live in serenity, peace and harmony with our divine homeland; concercrated, by the Creator of the Universe and all Living things. This sacred place is not a place to make any kind of money or to uses to support any political BIA or IRA Tribal Governments that are instrutments of trickery and death. A US corporate phony institution's of genocide or any other activist group AIM etc...that promote U.S. Policies, IRA Tribal Governements, thevery, hate, greed and lies. This sacred place is not to be exploited or use by non-indians, except by invitations....!!!! This land is not to be used to divide authentic traditional governmental societies by money or personalities or the BIA and IRA Tribal Leaders and they're phony traditional supporters....!!!! This is a place of our ancestors, the Spirit of our People and Red Nationhood, The Ochiti Sakowin Oyate!!!! If we have to buy back all our divine red homelands, we will because she is our Mother, that is held captive and has been inprison with her red children and we this generation of red people's and authetic sovereign traditional tribal governments will free themselves and her from 500 hundred yrs of white greed, war, supremacy, ignorance, explotation, and domanation and genocide to the red life of human being, here upon Turtle Island. Eden! Hoka Hey! Wanbli 2012

Sending CONGRATULATIONS from Berlin, Germany. The world's prayers have been heard and answered, all of us are thankful!

Maybe after the outpouring of donations from the US as well as other countries, the United States government will realize that a good portion of this country stands behind the Native American tribes and would like to see a future where they are treated with the respect they deserve as the original caretakers of this country.

Now that it's done and you have the title to the land you always should have had, I would file suit for compensation of the $9,000,000.00 from the federal government. I would think legally the government would be unable to fight it because the Supreme Court decision (I admit I haven't read it) awarding you the $100,000,000.00 million you didn't accept would be legally binding on a rule of law known as "Res Judicata." I'm sure your lawyers could tell you.

I 'm so thankful to the creator.I am happy for all Native Americans and all that love Mother Earth.

I'am just a other trible, may the great god, bless you and all who have won his land to you , be bless this day.

Thank You!!! Huge Congratulations! Wopila!

What a great story and an honorable historic moment! I did not realize that this event was taking place. It is a great way to end the year of 2012. Congratulations to the Sioux Nation!

susmac's picture
susmac
Submitted by susmac on
This is wonderful news for the Lakota. And while most non-tribal people wouldn't think about it this way, it is wonderful news for all of us. It is a long long road to true reconciliation given the nation's history with tribal people. This is a tiny step on that road. I wonder why the federal government isn't helping the tribe to purchase this site? The Lakota wouldn't have to being buying it back if it hadn't been stolen in the first place by the government.

This makes my spirit filled with happiness for the people who fought for this. This is a wonderful thing!

Congratulations to Lakota Oyate! I was holding my breath for a long time!

mswenson's picture
mswenson
Submitted by mswenson on
Having read and appreciated "Black Elk Speaks" and "The Sixth Grandfather", and now knowing the land where Black Elk lived is back in the hands of his forefathers, it does my heart much good. May the United Tribes find good medicine in these hallowed grounds.

God, I have tears in my eyes right now ... I was so afraid they won't made it ! Greetings from France

My heart sings for your blessing, I will pray and thank the Creator for giving it back to the rightfull caretakers of the lands.

Big Congratulations, I couldn't believe it with my mind but my heart knew this "miracle" could happen. Sacred space, special grounds, earthly delights, and portals between the worlds, I am thankful for every place on Mother Earth which is prayed on. It is good for every creature here as we weave a web of light for Life. Aho!

What wonderful news and such a happy outcome! I have a lump in my throat just thinking of what this means to you all.

Is it "He sla" or "Pe sla", look into it, as history is changing with referring to this as Pe sla...

I am truly happy that you have your Sacred Land back , I was profoundly moved by this story . sincerely Lally Traynor. Peace .