Error message

User error: Failed to connect to memcache server: :11211 in dmemcache_object() (line 415 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/memcache/dmemcache.inc).

CBS Won't Apologize for 'Drunk Indians' Crack on 'Mike & Molly,' Protests Begin

3/11/13

Activist and ICTMN reader Raven Ross has sought resolution to the Mike & Molly situation from CBS -- in vain. And now she's taking her grievances to the street.

The "Mike & Molly situation" refers to an offensive comment made on a recent episode of the show.

"Arizona? Why would I go to Arizona?" said Molly's mother-in-law, played by actress Rondi Reed. "It's nothing but a furnace full of drunk Indians."

Ross contacted CBS, and here is her report:

CBS/Mike & Molly show are not going to apologize!

I personally received a call back from CBS, Ms. Tiffany Smith Anoai, who told me that no apology would be coming from the Mike & Molly show!

Ms. Anoai said she is "speaking directly with Mike & Molly's writers." I asked, Is the Native voice is present and being heard at these sessions? Her answer: No. But, she said, the writers do attend a once-a-year diversity workshop!

(I bet the writers for Mike & Molly were either asleep, had headphones on, or were engaged in selective hearing!)

Ross is taking action today where she lives, and is hoping that other Natives will do the same.

I have organized in Phoenix, Arizona, today (3/11) an All Tribes Peaceful Anti-Racism Protest at CBS TV station-Channel 5! I recommend that all Native peoples do the same in their hometown.

CBS and the Mike & Molly show are perpetuating 500-plus years of racism, prejudice, and bigotry toward the original landowners and the original inhabitants of great North America! Anti-American Indian sentiment is here and growing throughout the USA. It has come to my attention, from articles published this past year on ICTMN, that Our People have been experiencing heightened racism. Western Society is using their tools of racist stereotyping and continue to engage in cultural and spiritual misappropriation and exploitation through the media to diminish our people to insignificance! It's time to take a stand! No longer shall we be swept under the rug, and dismissed by an insensitive and ignorant segment of western society.

Protest and boycott CBS and the Mike & Molly show now. For our ancestors, yourselves, and future generations of indigenous people everywhere.

In Spirit/Peace

Comments

Nanawetea's picture
Nanawetea
Submitted by Nanawetea on
Do not watch the show, do not succum to alcohol. Do not give fuel that we do not want thrown in our face. Do not drink alcohol, it is our death and our shame. Do not watch the show or purchase the products that support that show.

Pam G's picture
Pam G
Submitted by Pam G on
Please people! get over yourselves! get a job and occupy yourself with something or someone besides you! You aren't getting tired enough with life if you have this much nervous energy and are even "organizing" others to be offended together in a protest somewhere. Geeze

Billie Jean 's picture
Billie Jean
Submitted by Billie Jean on
I am so sad that this was said.I was raised in a racial town and it took me years to recover.We truly TRULY need a apology for this horrible situation here.My Mother always said,"Haven't they taken enough from us?" I will NOT watch this show anymore.

mark eagleheart's picture
mark eagleheart
Submitted by mark eagleheart on
oh hell...it's allright.......i love watching obese, non-funny, no-more can see my weenie white boys......makes me so proud of who and what I am!!!!!!

nickarroyave's picture
nickarroyave
Submitted by nickarroyave on
Not just Native North American Natives, but Natives everywhere on this continent. the same tactics were used against our people to make us dumb and ignorant of what is really important. Alcohol was a tool used and still used to make our people blind and unobservant of what is really going on. This is the crisis in Indian Country that we need to turn around. Racist jokes like these do not contribute at all, but only add to the stereotype.

Rebecca Keller's picture
Rebecca Keller
Submitted by Rebecca Keller on
You know what!!!! I think that is absolutely f' ed up!!!! We are not a bunch of drunks!!!! racist pig!!!! I'm really mad!!!!! I'm not a Drunk Indian!!!!!!

Nelle Pingree's picture
Nelle Pingree
Submitted by Nelle Pingree on
The character is the "Archie Bunker" of today. CBS doesn't need to apologize for this...this character would say what she said. The audience understands this.

Southeast Alaska Native's picture
Southeast Alask...
Submitted by Southeast Alask... on
The best way to get CBS to apologize is too hurt them where it hurts, their pocket book. Boycott the products or write to the companies who advertise on CBS.

Wilson Plain's picture
Wilson Plain
Submitted by Wilson Plain on
This is the kind of issue that would fit in well with the #idlenomore movement.

Dk Raven's picture
Dk Raven
Submitted by Dk Raven on
Why would I want to watch Mike and Molly? Nuthin' but a sh-thole full of fat, mealy-mouthed white folks!

Samantha Sansregret's picture
Samantha Sansregret
Submitted by Samantha Sansregret on
I will not be watching Mike and Molly nor any other CBS show as long as there is no apology for these racist comments and no commitment to avoiding such racist behaviour.

Gilles the Scot's picture
Gilles the Scot
Submitted by Gilles the Scot on
I'm not even a Native American and I was/am disgusted. Diversity training once a year? Not very effective, is it? Apologizing would mean that they admit they f'ed up, I think.

Cheryl Blood's picture
Cheryl Blood
Submitted by Cheryl Blood on
Scriptwriters write what they know so they are writing their TRUTH. So sad they continue to set a Racist War and it does not matter who they hurt. So the only time they feel pain deep pain and MAY choose to change their worldview is when you take their wallets $$$$. That is when they will make change. So what if everyone chooses not to watch this racist show and besides WHY? would anyone choose to watch Two Obese Individuals making fun of others all for a laugh and I am not laughing....

Derrick Beliveau's picture
Derrick Beliveau
Submitted by Derrick Beliveau on
It is: racism.

Sonja Smith's picture
Sonja Smith
Submitted by Sonja Smith on
If intelligent people wound watch intelligent programs, these shows, sitcoms would not exist ! I have not ever watched this program or any like it for the simple reason I believe that they are not worthy of my of my time and I would have to lower my intelligence level to do so. I like comendy shows like most people, but total ignorance is really not all that funny ! Do real people act this way ? I prefer to think not ! Are "real" people funny ? Absolutly ! So, I just don't get it, WHY do so many people even watch such crap !

Dallas Smales's picture
Dallas Smales
Submitted by Dallas Smales on
Ignorance comes out of the mouth of ignorant people. I am glad I am not a fan of this show, fat white people are ignorant

Anonymous 's picture
I am Native American who doesn't drink. I live in Phoenix where all I see are drunk natives at the bus stops and on the streets it is Embarrassing to drive by them so before we can ask for an Apologies maybe have a look around they are their and don't want to go back to the raz because then they have to sober up its just easier they say to stay drunk down here nobody knows them so theirs noboby to tell them to sober up...

And with that they wash their hands. I would hang my head if I was a part of this program. It isn't OK...It will never be OK. and I for one of many will discontinue my support of your show and CBS. To make a mistake is the opportunity for learn from it. Apparently, it was lost on you!

Jean's picture
Jean
Submitted by Jean on
Come on now, just something to laugh about. Life shouldn't be so serious . Remember " all in the family." I live in a mobile home , what about all the trailer park jokes? Lets laugh more , not be afraid of everything we say.

poncadad's picture
poncadad
Submitted by poncadad on
we need to get a petition to the white house so we can get the president on record for this ..maybe that way it will get attention

Anita Swerdlyk's picture
Anita Swerdlyk
Submitted by Anita Swerdlyk on
I am white and i take offense to being stereotyped as well. I am all for cutting of cbs and Mike and Molly...remarks like this should never be made. it's time for "ALL people" and not "OUR people'. I didn't do this and neither did my friends, province or country. Hell not even my grandparents or great grandparents. I am sooo with the aboriginal populations and their fight for the right to be heard. with you all the way...but please don't sterotype "me". Thank you and I will never watch that show. :)

Teri 's picture
Teri
Submitted by Teri on
I am only part Native, but I will post this on your behalf, racism should not be tolerated by anyone. I will no longer be supporting this show and will not watch it for this reason. Thank You for letting us know about this

Teri 's picture
Teri
Submitted by Teri on

Maxine's picture
Maxine
Submitted by Maxine on
The statement is offensive and small minded. It's sad when human beings will say anything for a 10 second laugh at another human being's expense. What does a statement like this leave on the minds of young children...and I guarantee they are watching, listening and even worse, they are believing what they hear.

Maxine's picture
Maxine
Submitted by Maxine on

carolyn belcher's picture
carolyn belcher
Submitted by carolyn belcher on
racial profiling not good on any level , and not all natives drink , i know i do not and most i know do not .................................