CBS Won't Apologize for 'Drunk Indians' Crack on 'Mike & Molly,' Protests Begin

3/11/13

Activist and ICTMN reader Raven Ross has sought resolution to the Mike & Molly situation from CBS -- in vain. And now she's taking her grievances to the street.

The "Mike & Molly situation" refers to an offensive comment made on a recent episode of the show.

"Arizona? Why would I go to Arizona?" said Molly's mother-in-law, played by actress Rondi Reed. "It's nothing but a furnace full of drunk Indians."

Ross contacted CBS, and here is her report:

CBS/Mike & Molly show are not going to apologize!

I personally received a call back from CBS, Ms. Tiffany Smith Anoai, who told me that no apology would be coming from the Mike & Molly show!

Ms. Anoai said she is "speaking directly with Mike & Molly's writers." I asked, Is the Native voice is present and being heard at these sessions? Her answer: No. But, she said, the writers do attend a once-a-year diversity workshop!

(I bet the writers for Mike & Molly were either asleep, had headphones on, or were engaged in selective hearing!)

Ross is taking action today where she lives, and is hoping that other Natives will do the same.

I have organized in Phoenix, Arizona, today (3/11) an All Tribes Peaceful Anti-Racism Protest at CBS TV station-Channel 5! I recommend that all Native peoples do the same in their hometown.

CBS and the Mike & Molly show are perpetuating 500-plus years of racism, prejudice, and bigotry toward the original landowners and the original inhabitants of great North America! Anti-American Indian sentiment is here and growing throughout the USA. It has come to my attention, from articles published this past year on ICTMN, that Our People have been experiencing heightened racism. Western Society is using their tools of racist stereotyping and continue to engage in cultural and spiritual misappropriation and exploitation through the media to diminish our people to insignificance! It's time to take a stand! No longer shall we be swept under the rug, and dismissed by an insensitive and ignorant segment of western society.

Protest and boycott CBS and the Mike & Molly show now. For our ancestors, yourselves, and future generations of indigenous people everywhere.

In Spirit/Peace

Comments

pink_panther's picture
pink_panther
Submitted by pink_panther on
Its bad enuff the white man came over n brought. Diseases, alcohol, steal our land, and put us on rez. What we DONT need is to have a show to make derogatory comments about NATIVES

This Molly/.Mike show should be canceled, it is racist. I would be ashamed to be part of this show. People who are affilicated with this should show some class and speak up for what is right.

waubizee's picture
waubizee
Submitted by waubizee on
I guess the writers are limited, who else are they going to insult, grain fed, overweight, pasty-skinned Euro-Americans?

Vallorie Scott's picture
Vallorie Scott
Submitted by Vallorie Scott on
Well, I did like this show but I wont be watching it again!! FYI, I dont drink...alcohol is the gun the white man used to kill us and now too many of us load the gun and pull the trigger ourselves. I am very disapointed that CBS refuses to apologize..oh well big surprize....

Mary FIsh's picture
Mary FIsh
Submitted by Mary FIsh on
Yeah, right, those of European descent don't get drunk....or drive drunk....or beat their wives drunk....or get drunk and try to dominate the entire planet......just people from India get drunk. The people from India should be furious and offended! We are when people use negative stereotypes about us. In fact this entire of the program Mike and Molly I find to be a series of negative stereotypes about humongous Yankees which aren't really very funny at all just a lot of meanness and I went to her movie, "Identity Thief" and really what an embarrassing film to be made by any woman. Disgusting. Certainly we First Nations and Aboriginal folks are on the side of any protest India wants to mount! :)

Anne Funderburk's picture
Anne Funderburk
Submitted by Anne Funderburk on
I swore off commercial TV during the press conference on the Iranian hostage release, when the President of CBS was so crassly rude to Louisa Kennedy (wife of chief-ranking hostage, Moorhead Kennedy). He showed no whit of compassion or even basic courtesy. I was so disgusted that I have refused to watch any commercial TV ever since. Expecting social sensitivity from the great American media is a lost cause!

gail lichtsinn's picture
gail lichtsinn
Submitted by gail lichtsinn on
Maybe your writers ought to attend a workshop more than once a year..Im surprised your sponsors/advertisers go along with this..Our money spends just like yours does and we use our remotes to choose which channels we watch too..What gives you the right to label a whole race of people as drunks?? WE are hard working decent people just like you are..We DONT all drink do you ALL drink?? Hmm..Sorry I guess I didnt realize from your seat atop a judgement throne you know it all..Well know this i wont buy a single product your sponsors sell ..I will no longer watch CBS either but im sure with your low opinion of native people it wont matter to you..Now multiply me about several thousand more times cause im not the only one who is thinking like this..Now you are the butt of my joke..Money says it all doesnt it??

Milwaukeescorpion's picture
Milwaukeescorpion
Submitted by Milwaukeescorpion on
shame on them...Mike n Molly are obese and as an Indian indivdual i wont say anything on that!!!..RACISM WILL NEVER GO AWAY!!!!

Mom23inGA's picture
Mom23inGA
Submitted by Mom23inGA on
This is a comedy show and the character was being portrayed as crass and rude. When a character on a show is rude, it isn't reflecting the show's ideas or ideals. Just a character playing a part. Offending someone is not a crime and if you don't like the show.... Don't watch it...

P Freeman's picture
P Freeman
Submitted by P Freeman on
That is okay. I won't apologize for saying CBS is run by racist fucktards.

Seeyouma's picture
Seeyouma
Submitted by Seeyouma on
I for one will boycott this show. Shame on CBS for their negativity against the 1st Nation Indigenous Peoples of this land. CBS would never put or say something as bias as that against any other ethic race. Goes to show you how much respect 1st Nation Peoples get from the media, "NONE!"

Gayle Kent's picture
Gayle Kent
Submitted by Gayle Kent on
If a rude comment was made about some over weight people, as I see in your ads, I wonder how quickly they would have apologised. I am seeing more and more about that station that I dislike. Someone said that they advertise right straight up what they show by the initials C. BS.

Robert J. Theis's picture
Robert J. Theis
Submitted by Robert J. Theis on
I missed that show,, but now that's A Good Reason to KEEP from watching any-more of the show's from now on...

daniel wippert's picture
daniel wippert
Submitted by daniel wippert on
the same old idiots think running down a race of people is funny. the only ones who think it is funny are ignorate, bigoted, small minded people. CBS must be full of such people.My tv will definatly be a cbs free zone.

Darla's picture
Darla
Submitted by Darla on
Is there anything schedule in San Diego? We must have a voice or this type of behavior will continue to grow.

Darla's picture
Darla
Submitted by Darla on

Akimel O`odham's picture
Akimel O`odham
Submitted by Akimel O`odham on
Boys and girls, this is not just an insult of Native Americans of this state of ARIZONA, but it is an insult on the entire state of ARIZONA itself and _every_ individual within it, whether you realise it or not.

I would have taken these comments more seriously if the grammar wasn't so frightening. I need a translator to interpret what you are trying to say.

shobunny's picture
shobunny
Submitted by shobunny on
@Pam, first off, this is a show that broadcasts to a mainstream audience, and to people who may never have met a Native American person before. It's not ok to undermine Tribal Nations with these stereotypes; and lastly... we didn't survive 500 years of oppression to stop now. This is something you may never understand; but we are fighting for the same reasons African Americans, Latinos, or any indigenous fight mainstream tv networks- to stop the ignorance. And for your information many of "us" do have jobs, are quite educated, and working productively alongside our non-native neighbors and communities. Stop being a troll Pam, if you don't like what ICTMN is writing about, go troll somewhere else. After all, ICTMN is suppose to cover all issues related to Indian Country, and this issue... well it covers Indian Country.

palousepum's picture
palousepum
Submitted by palousepum on
Wow as a American indian n proud I really liked watching this prorgram but there sterotypical druggies alcoholics n pyscho mom n fat white ppl who we all laugh at who think they r better drunks bit who is surely not the native ppl look thru the history give them firewater those savages who was the real savage

Karen O'Brien's picture
Karen O'Brien
Submitted by Karen O'Brien on
It's a racist stereotype pure and simple and it insults the intelligence of all people.

Karen O'Brien's picture
Karen O'Brien
Submitted by Karen O'Brien on

Indian summer's picture
Indian summer
Submitted by Indian summer on
I am tired of Europeans/Western Society framing & defining what American Indians/Indigenous People SHOULD BE!!! Gross descriptions of Inaccuracies-Untruths concocted from their WARPED MINDS of which we ARE NOT!!! Wake up AMERICA! American Indians/Indigenous Peoples ARE EDUCATED & HAVE CAREERS IN THE PROFESSIONAL FIELDS. I am with PROTESTING/BOYCOTTING CBS, CBS SPONSORS, and The MIKE/MOLLY SHOW TO CANCELLATION. We Need to SCREAM & HOLLER JUST AS LOUD AS THE OTHER OPPRESSIVE GROUPS IN THE U.S. YES, it's Time to SEND A MESSAGE TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!! Hey Hollywood/Los Angeles People, American Indians, Actors (Cher, Johnny Depp-where are You???), & Activists it's TIME TO PROTEST DURING THEIR TAPING ON WEDNESDAYS at the Burbank Studios & Go to CBS Hollywood Station....In the meantime I am trying to scrap up some $$$ to get to Hollywood from Phoenix to partake in this action....Of Exercising my Constitutional Right to 'peacefully assemble' & PROTEST.

Dwight's picture
Dwight
Submitted by Dwight on
What the heck is wrong with these folks? They have a back story in which they claim that they are trying to push acceptance for FAT PEOPLE, and yet they feel it is OK to ridicule an entire Nation of people? I say boycott the program. If I lived near there, I would protest like hell.

jigger's picture
jigger
Submitted by jigger on
sorry to say but were not indians were navtive americans were feather not dot

Manossa's picture
Manossa
Submitted by Manossa on
I will not watch this show anymore. It is racism plain and simple. We are consumers and when we support each other, we can do great things. I am reaching out to everyone to stop watching this show. It's an insult when writers cannot acknowledge this situation as offensive to nations of people. It's shameful and very sad.

Manossa's picture
Manossa
Submitted by Manossa on

boycott them...we are not jewish but we need the same respect. If it was about jews, ppl would be all over this.