Anonymous/Google Maps
Anonymous has compiled public information, to bring further attention to violence against aboriginal women with the creation of this map marking cases across Turtle Island.

Anonymous Creates Map of Turtle Island's Missing and Murdered Aboriginal Women

2/6/13

The online hacker group Anonymous has turned its attention to Canada’s missing and murdered women, compiling a map from police reports and online public input that designates each case across Turtle Island for the past 10 years with a glaring red circle.

Special attention is given to Thunder Bay, Ontario, CBC News said. There, police are investigating the kidnapping and assault of an indigenous woman as a possible hate crime. A 19-year-old Oji-Cree youth has come forward to bear witness to the grabbing of the woman in the December 27 attack, according to CBC News, and to the fact that the perpetrators hurled racial epithets and pelted him with various objects from their vehicle as he walked along the road.

The murder and disappearance of hundreds of aboriginal women over the past two decades has caused an international outcry and sparked demands from indigenous leaders for a national inquiry into why many of these crimes go unsolved. The map was released on February 5

Comments

Cindy Faircloth's picture
Cindy Faircloth
Submitted by Cindy Faircloth on
It is just unspeakable what ignorance, prejudice, hate, cruelty, bullying, fear, violence....is doing to the innocent!!!

Cha-Ele's picture
Cha-Ele
Submitted by Cha-Ele on
Why does this map stop at the US/Mexico border? I know for a fact that indigenous women have been murdered or gone missing in Mexico, too. And it's definitely part of Turtle Island! "Borders" are political boundaries created by the invaders of Turtle Island. We are still all the Human Beings. Tragedies such as our murdered/missing women should unite us, not divide us.

indianmedicine's picture
indianmedicine
Submitted by indianmedicine on
These are known as "Hard / Cold cases" due to the lack of Usable Leads -OR- Tangible Evidence. These Cases are within the Jurisdictions of INTERPOL, & US / Canada Law Enforcement & "Behavioral Science Forensic Investigation Divisions". More credence is given to the category of "Paranormal Investigations" using Certified "Clairvoyant Mediums" who are Professionally Aware of the Legal Requirements of Criminal Evidence, and the effects of "Trace Evidence" that may lead Criminal Investigations to successful Closure; not only for Law Enforcement - but Families. I would suggest that Tribal Counsel, and Elders explore this option in the Interest of Justice and Peace & Good Order of the Tribe,Band, or Nation. I would also suggest that the "Medicine People" of each be included in this effort - as they are very aware of Cultures of The People which will add to the Case Investigation. - Justice Delayed, Is Justice Denied- With Respects,

Joelle's picture
Joelle
Submitted by Joelle on
I am so thank full as a surviving runaway native girl in the 1980's that I made it .

terrisquires's picture
terrisquires
Submitted by terrisquires on
I will never forget Betty Jean Osborne which occurred in the 80' s I think and has been going on since the Spaniards arrived on America--it's not new and it's men who perpetuate these crimes--the rich white men perpetuate murder by keeping poor people from medical, mental heath care-NICE

Two Feathers's picture
Two Feathers
Submitted by Two Feathers on
The reason they don't show the rest of the map of Central and South America, the red dots will fill the oceans on both sides.

Gil's picture
Gil
Submitted by Gil on
Il faut continuer à lutter contre le laxisme de l'Etat concernant ses disparitions ,c'est honteux pour le Canada!La pire forme de RACISME!!

BB's picture
BB
Submitted by BB on
1. This map should include Mexico. 2. 'Turtle Island', while well-intentioned, excludes the numerous names for the continent used by other indigenous nations. Excellent map; I strongly praise the efforts of the person who composed and published it. Shared.

i don't know if im right Anon,,but im getting a shiver,,that I do not get very often,,this is more that A person,,, this is a group doing this,,i don't know how i know,,its a feeling im getting,,i don't get it often,just when i know something is right,,,and theres something very not right about this,,,thank U ANON,,John Mulroy

Two Bears Growling's picture
Two Bears Growling
Submitted by Two Bears Growling on
This is exactly why I tell others everywhere I go to never travel alone & always have others with you. There are evil ones out all the time everywhere. Usually those looking to harm someone leave a group of people alone for good reason. Be safe people everywhere in our territories. Evil ones are always looking for a weak & vulnerable person to harm. No certain age or gender is safe from these evil ones. We as First Nations people have to look out for our community families everywhere we go. In groups we have power. The more eyes we have out here in our native communities the safer we can be. Take care brothers & sisters everywhere while out & about. Stay safe & stay smart my friends. Two Bears Growling Buffalo's Thunder

jo seenie (redsky)'s picture
jo seenie (redsky)
Submitted by jo seenie (redsky) on
there is a war on us native women in this continent ...a genocide to illuminate the original land title holders and I see that is 1 of the many ways to rape mother earth for her resources and kill the women kill the nation is true I ve been vocal about this sad issue for years and I volunteer to search for our people because I cant wait for police systems who have been racist so my heart says go and look for them to help out families I know I don't have the answers but have a heart to help ....plz be vocal about this genocide always cuz we deserve to live ....in sisterhood.. healing earth woman

Marleena's picture
Marleena
Submitted by Marleena on
I often notice small Indian children playing by themselves in our native communities and I worry about them getting abducted. Parents, watch out for your little ones. Especially if you live around an area that draws in large tourist numbers. We may be victims of serial killers and psychopaths along with racists. Don't forget about those who call themselves "Aryian Nation". They are popping up all over the place. They are part of the KKK. May Creator keep our native communities safe wherever they are located!

mmjohnson's picture
mmjohnson
Submitted by mmjohnson on
I am appalled and confused as to why a Native woman in the 21st century has to worry herself sick about her safety solely because she is Native. This whole epidemic of missing and murdered Indigenous women has gotten me a horrible case of anxiety! We just sent our beautiful, 18 year old daughter off to University of Oregon at the beginning of September. I don't think I have slept a full night since! We should be proud and relieved as parents that our daughter has done well and chosen to further her education. We should be able to rest peacefully knowing our daughter is making good choices because she is a good girl who walks the right path and wants to make a change in this world. We should not have to be scared, up at night, texting her multiple times a day to make sure she is okay and literally giving ourselves anxiety because she is an Indigenous woman, alone, in a large city attending college. I am tired of living in fear because of this issue. It is scary in this world having a daughter period, I understand that. But to have to be scared three fold, or more, because we are Native, is just not acceptable! I can not grasp why there isn't more being done! I see on the news a white college girl gone missing and they are spending 24 hours a day searching for her. It was on the news 24 hours a day as well. Constant coverage on that case. They found her remains in a timely manner, and the murderer as well because they were diligent. Why can't they do the same for our women? Why?!!!!

mmjohnson's picture
mmjohnson
Submitted by mmjohnson on

Charleen Touchette's picture
Charleen Touchette
Submitted by Charleen Touchette on
So sad. Why is this not seen as a social problem that needs immediate attention by Harper and Obama? It is appalling that New Mexico is one of the hot spots on this map. That is one reason why the cancellation by MoCNA (IAIA Museum) of the scheduled Walking With Our Sisters exhibition next September is so wrong. The communities across Canada that have hosted the WWOS exhibition have grown stronger and provided healing and support for so many families who have suffered the loss of their girls and women. The excuse proffered by folks connected with MoCNA was that the size of the exhibit had increased and they were only willing to provide an outdoor exhibit space, which was not acceptable to WWOS, for obvious reasons. Very sad, that an important healing and awareness opportunity is not available to New Mexico because the bureaucracy at MoCNA refused to step up to the challenge of hosting this powerful art exhibition and its related ceremonies and workshops. Write to the museum director and ask her to explain why she cancelled and deprived our community of this extraordinary opportunity to come together to support art that really changes lives of Indian women and families for the better. Thank you. Charleen Touchette Author of NDN ART (2003) Curator of IAIA Rocks the Sixties (2000-2001) at IAIA Museum, Native Art History II Professor at IAIA (2001)