Associated Press/Rapid City Journal
This Feb. 7, 2012 photo shows a cross on a grave at the Wounded Knee National Historic landmark in South Dakota.

Wounded Knee Historic Site Now for Sale on the Open Market

Vincent Schilling
5/2/13

The May 1 deadline came and went without a word from the Oglala Sioux Tribe, so James Czywczynski, who owns the site of the Wounded Knee massacre, has put the land on the open market.

“They had until today; the deadline was May 1 to come up with the money. Now we have put it on the open market nationally and internationally. It is just unfortunate,” Czywczynski said.

“I gave the tribe 30 years and five months to buy this property, and it isn't as if they didn't have the money, they could have done a bond issue—I have a friend who could have done a bond issue for them,” he said.

“If they would just have taken $250,000 to $1 million, they could have bought that property and owned it today. But, for some reason, they cannot see economic development and they cannot see tourism and they cannot relate. They want everything for free is what it amounts to I guess,” he said.

Though Czywczynski says he has not yet sold the property, he has had many interested parties contact him.

“We are already getting a flock of calls from people including realtors… a local one in South Dakota that has a woman who wants to buy the land and give it to the Oglala Sioux,” he said.

Czywczynski says he would welcome anyone who wants to purchase the land and then give it to the tribe. “I would be glad to have that happen. Somebody from Al Jazeera might buy it too, or some foreign country. This is worldwide now.”

Czywczynski says he has given the tribe ample opportunities to buy the land and was disappointed that he didn’t hear from them today.

“It isn't as though I didn't give them enough time, the prior president served for six terms—I wrote him letters for 12 years and told him they should buy this. The price was even less than it is today,” he said.

Since posting the site on the open market, Czywczynski has received inquiries from several interested parties including two who are allegedly working in the name of the Oglala Sioux Tribe.

Czywczynski’s asking price for the Wounded Knee site as well as one other parcel near Porcupine Butte for $4.9 million. The Associated Press has reported that each parcel has been appraised at $7,000 each.

The Oglala Sioux Tribe has yet to release any statement.

Comments

Jeremiah White Wash's picture
Jeremiah White Wash
Submitted by Jeremiah White Wash on
I have had many plans for economic development on the pine ridge Indian reservation involving alternative energy sources, advertisements, tourism, and Native American Art, Larger retail stores, which will being jobs to the jobless and lost minds on the reservation. I'm currently a College student on the reservation with a constantly growing plan of prosperity for my suffering people, I need support from whom ever will give me the support I need. Please feel free to contact me at my E-mail address Jwhite22052@olc.edu Sincerely, Jeremiah White Wash

The reason being I would say is that they owned the property 1st and no one paid them for it they took it from them. I hope no one buys it and leaves it as is.

BrendaFifield's picture
BrendaFifield
Submitted by BrendaFifield on
This land is Sacred, and whatever it takes, it should belong to the Native Indians. This is not right, and someone should help to make it right. After all, the whole America's , was, there home land, not the settlers. They shared with the Whites and they should be respected here.

Clara's picture
Clara
Submitted by Clara on
This is tragic it is a site of the Oglala Sioux ancestors. It is horrible what happened there and should be memorized and kept by that Tribe.

Julie Miller's picture
Julie Miller
Submitted by Julie Miller on
History of Wounded Knee...December 29, 1890..The Massacre of Wounded Knee in 1890 was the decisive event for the Lakota People and all Native Americans ...marking the end of their struggle to maintain...their way of life. Chief Joseph wrote..."perhaps you think the Creator sent you here to dispose of us as you see fit. If I thought you were sent by the Creator, I might be induced to think you had a right to dispose of me. Do not misunderstand me fully with reference to my affection for the land. I never said the land was mine to do with it as I chose. The one who had the right to dispose of it is the one who has created it. I claim a right to live on this land, and accord you, the privilege to live on yours." This is sacred land..it should be left for the Lakota People to honor their dead...not to be sold..it should have never been sold.

I'm a french lady...I visited the site of Wounded Knee...and know a little about amerindian history.......The ground of this site is saturated with the blood of women,children and old men.killed by a white men army....I could feel the bad vibrations on that place......this Mr Czywczynski don't understand why the Sioux tribe don't want to give money for the price of this white man disgrace?????who is he???? just a land owner??? is he human????I 'm a white woman,so shamefull about that......don't have the words,but I hope he's just an alien......I could feel better on this earth.....the only one we have!!!!!!!!!!!

Odataob Turntoes-Kuhnhenn's picture
Odataob Turntoe...
Submitted by Odataob Turntoe... on
Are you out of your mind ? Must be ! You can't sell Wounded Knee @ any price !

Valerie Simmons's picture
Valerie Simmons
Submitted by Valerie Simmons on
Mr James Czywczynski should have no right to even own the property since it is a Historical spot, it should be owned by the Government and given to the Native Americans in Honor of those who have died ( Murdered) and this is a Sacred Ground for them, a resting place for their souls, so to speak....

it should be given to the Indians,it was theirs to begin with,why has everything gotta have a price,how about doing the right thing,history,tradition,

Greta White Elk's picture
Greta White Elk
Submitted by Greta White Elk on
Why should our Tribe, our People buy back what was taken?? You People just don't stop!! I would say you probably was GIFTED THAT PROPERTY by one of our ELDERS who trusted you.. Understanding you lost your business during the WOUNDED KNEE stand off in 1972. Of course we would want it back for FREE look at all that has been taken.. so its TAKE THE LAND AND GIVE THEM A BOTTLE THEY BE HAPPY???? If you were any kind of Human or MAN you would walk away. Shame on you!! Selling off the BURIAL SITE OF OUR ANCESTORS.. Maybe you did sell your mothers grave to... Go back where you came from you are and ALIEN...

Jim McClure (aka Blackcloud)'s picture
Jim McClure (ak...
Submitted by Jim McClure (ak... on
Why should any nation have to buy back land that was theirs to begin with?

What is so damn sad about this story is THEY owned it first ! Why would they buy back land that belonged to them in the first place ? Oh I know, cause white man came,took ALL their stuff away and called it theirs . SO SAD !!

GOOD VOICE ELK's picture
GOOD VOICE ELK
Submitted by GOOD VOICE ELK on
Hey my husband owns land by the site, and we have not been contacted for this land sell.. WE DO NOT WANT OUR LAND PUT UP FOR SALE, We are planning to move back. OUR LAND IS NOT FOR SALE.

Judi Denker's picture
Judi Denker
Submitted by Judi Denker on
How the hell did this guy obtain it in the first place ?? Why was it not a historic monument such as The Alamo already ?? Because our government massacred those people ? By all means sell it to a foreign country.....maybe they'll build a mosque....It's always about the almighty dollar

Gene P.'s picture
Gene P.
Submitted by Gene P. on
There is something about that arch that draws me to it. I pray that this landmark can be preserved and protected.

Sheri Pherigo's picture
Sheri Pherigo
Submitted by Sheri Pherigo on
Why on earth do they think we N/A want everything free that has already been promised to us by the White eyes in the first place! Broken promises is all we have been given..so whatelse is new???? So much can be done with this have we been given the funds to begin with and chance but with everything taken from us anyway...how can we been given the chance! Why should we trust anyone now? They lost it long ago...trust..the important five letter word! I am Cherokee but at times like this. We have to stick together.

Pat Baker's picture
Pat Baker
Submitted by Pat Baker on
Why should anyone pay more than it is worth? The appraised value of $14,000 is a long way from the asking price of $4.9 million.

aiahninchi ohoyo's picture
aiahninchi ohoyo
Submitted by aiahninchi ohoyo on
o m g...'economic development'??? 'tourism'??? cant 'relate' to either concept....ITS A CEMETERY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD....

Xenia Andrews's picture
Xenia Andrews
Submitted by Xenia Andrews on
If Mr. Czywezynski's wants money for this land that is Sacared due to the Massaucre on these people. He needs to get this Money from the Government. All of Our TRIBES have no Money. Especially 4.9 million. We haven't been paid yet for the occopying of this Land (U.S) soil. Are Native People are starving and Homeless. So What Money does he think that the Indians have.

i think the land should be thers because of the muders of those women and children

Two Eagles Kelsey's picture
Two Eagles Kelsey
Submitted by Two Eagles Kelsey on
Would you steal someone's car from them and then sell it back to them after using it a long time? The land belonged to the Lakota, it was taken from them by force and now they need to pay to get it back? And desecrate the burial of the people you killed by using it for tourism? What is your heart made of? Icicles? Money controls your conscience.

Joe Boyes's picture
Joe Boyes
Submitted by Joe Boyes on
$14,000 - $4.9 million??? Maybe they would buy back what is theirs if the price were right instead of overly inflated!! The land is sacred, why is it not a national monument? It should be given back to the Sioux people!!!

Gerry Pinion's picture
Gerry Pinion
Submitted by Gerry Pinion on
Why do you not have the decency to donate this historical site? It is very sad to know that there is such a lack of concern for such an important piece of history. It seems to me that the owner is quite a bit prejudiced....the 2 parcels are appraised at $7000 each...hhhmmmm 4.9 million for something that has been appraised for $14,000. Greed is what is ruining our country and Mr. Czywczynski's is a perfect example of that. Sadly this land was/is the Native American's land. It was stolen from them and landed in Mr. Greed's dirty hands. VERY DISGUSTING!!!

to hold on to bad memories..is resentment forever...to let the bad memories go ..and make good things replace them bad memories is what they had a chance at...just cause something happened there doesn't mean it is now their land...it is still the original families or organization that owned it then...to assume ownership without payment is wrong by any party... fate will figure and account for all considered...creator knows.

Gene n Landrum, PhQ, Quantum Theory's picture
Gene n Landrum,...
Submitted by Gene n Landrum,... on
I would like to know why the B.I.A. and the Laws on the Books that protect 'Historical Sites' much like this piece of 'hallow' grounds that is 'saturated' with American Indians artifacts ever be cleared for 'development' for anything than the 'Bare Land' it is currently! These 'digs' are going on around the North American Continent, annually, if not monthly! History is History, as early as a few 'micro' time past. Ancient History is what ever time man says it is! Its all in perspective of Time and Space. Quantum Science explains it best!

Stacy Watson's picture
Stacy Watson
Submitted by Stacy Watson on
This land was not yours to sell it is sacred which means it's off limits . It was part of the Lakota's lands and no white man had the right to take it in the first place. It was never bought just stolen with no regard of those it belonged to. I may have mostly European descent but I also am part native. My heart and soul is all native. Tunkasila, I pray this land is never bought because it is wrong on so many levels I can't even think where to begin. This land should be protected because of what happened there in 1890 and those souls that died there should be able to rest in peace without an opportunistic jerk trying to get rich off of it. Mitakuye Oyasin There should be a petition opposing this sale. It is a historical place so aren't there laws to protect them. If there is anything I can do to help stop this please email me at whitewolf_2067@yahoo.com Sincerely Yours, Stacy Watson