Ogoki Learning Systems Inc.
Darrick Baxter, the Ojibway programmer of the language app code, decided to give the source code away for free so other Native languages could be preserved with the use of technology.

Learning a Native Language? Ojibway Programmer Has an App For That

Marc Dadigan
4/20/13

After observing how his 12-year-old daughter fiddled obsessively with the family’s iPad, computer programmer Darrick Baxter designed an app just for her, downloaded it secretly onto the device and waited to see what would happen.

The app was a program to help people learn Ojibway, the ancestral language of Baxter’s Anishnaabe people, and he saw almost immediate results.

“I didn’t tell her anything about it, but within a week, I heard her talking to her grandma and she was using Ojibway words,” said Baxter, 36. “I just realized then this is such a great way to learn a language. Today kids are more likely to carry a smartphone or a tablet than a book.”

In October 2011, Baxter founded Ogoki Learning Systems Inc., a software design company that specializes in creating smartphone and tablet apps and publishing e-books that help teach Native languages, and he says there is a huge, largely untapped market for Native language learning.

“The Ojibway language is one of the better off languages, and our language territory spans from the state of New York to Saskatchewan to Montana and Ontario. It’s a large speaking group,” said Baxter, whose company is based in Sandy Bay Ojibway First Nation in Manitoba.

Since the Ojibway Language and People app was released in 2011, there have been about 14,000 downloads, and Baxter said he often hears from colleagues and schoolteachers who are using the app to foster a love of language learning. The original app, which can be downloaded from iTunes for free, contained 100 Ojibway words, but has since been expanded to 260.

The demand has grown beyond Ojibway territory as Baxter has worked with the Blackfeet Tribe and other First Nations to design apps for their languages. Even at conferences, Baxter is flooded with requests from language learners and tribal officials to create apps for their language.

This led to Baxter making the unorthodox decision to give away his company’s invention, the source code for the Ojibway language app, for free. The code is now available on his company’s website, and anyone can download it and work to adapt it for their own native language learning.

“People’s eyes would light up when I would tell them I could send them the source code, and I wanted to create a legacy and help people save their languages,” Baxter said.

He also said he wanted to honor the memory of the Ojibway elder, Eddie Munroe of Garden Hill First Nation in Northern Manitoba, who lent his voice for the original Ojibway app but passed away at the age of 58 only a week after making the recordings.

“He was very close and important to me,” Baxter said. “After he passed, I couldn’t listen to his voice at first, so there was 8 or 10 months of lag time before I finally released the app on iTunes.”

Baxter said his small company, which currently has two-contract employees, will still be able to make money by publishing e-books, creating new apps or by consulting with organizations and schools that download the app but need more assistance to tailor the code to their needs. They also bring in revenue by producing native language CDs and DVDs, he said.

There doesn’t seem to be a limit to the creative ways the language apps can be used, Baxter said. For instance, he recently received an e-mail from a nurse who asked him to include medical terms and phrases, like “Can you describe your pain on a scale from 1-10,” so medical first-responders could better communicate with elders in isolated communities in Northwestern Ontario.

He’s currently looking for a medical organization to partner with to honor the nurse’s request. He is also planning a workshop with at-risk youth in Winnipeg where he’ll teach them to make apps and discuss with them how they can start their own business.

In a way, it’s fitting that Baxter’s app is helping to save lives as his company is named after the Ogoki River, which flows through his people’s traditional river and, as he says, “has been feeding and sustaining our people for countless generations.”

“I’ve gotten calls from all over the globe, from the Maori in New Zealand to the Sami people in Norway, who I had to Google. I didn’t know about them,” he said. “It was kind of an awakening of just how global this desire to speak and preserve our languages are.”

The Ojibway app, being used here, was released in 2011 with 100 words. It has since been expanded to 260 and has been downloaded 14,000 times. (Ogoki Learning Systems Inc.)

Comments

Amanda Schwab's picture
Amanda Schwab
Submitted by Amanda Schwab on
This is awesome!!! I'm gonna forward some people in the reservation where I grew up

Lorraine Boyer's picture
Lorraine Boyer
Submitted by Lorraine Boyer on
I always told my children that I wish I new how to speak my native tongue, ojibway,. I am so proud of you for developing this app it would benefit a lot of lost people of our tribe, personally I would love to learn this, it is so much needed. My mother spent her childhood in residential school and I had asked her one time to teach me, but she strictly hated that idea, thinking that the government would come and take us away from her. I can't imagine the feeling she had but would love to learn the language in her honor. I am a 54 yr old ojibway woman who feels that I as a parent does not have anything to pass down to my children and grandchildren...I love what your doing, it's our destiny to get back what was lost.

L. J. Shoberg's picture
L. J. Shoberg
Submitted by L. J. Shoberg on
Fabulous and necessary! We'd like Yaqui, Apache, etc. Here, you can learn the local language if you are a member of the tribe.

blueskywoman's picture
blueskywoman
Submitted by blueskywoman on
FYI there is only one Sandy Bay Ojibway First Nation located in the province of Manitoba NOT in the province of Alberta. Miigwech.

Darcy Erickson's picture
Darcy Erickson
Submitted by Darcy Erickson on
Mii gwetch for sharing your talents and your gift! White Earth Nation, Mn

Kelly Fontaine's picture
Kelly Fontaine
Submitted by Kelly Fontaine on
That is great news. Our organization, the Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre has created five software versions using the Software from Transparent Languages in Ojibway: Two dialects, Cree, Dakota, Oji-Cree and Dene. If you are interested you can email me at: kellyf@mfnerc.com They are very cheap in comparison to others.

I wann know more this technology. Please share me kaatich@gmail.com

benotwofeathers@live.ca's picture
benotwofeathers...
Submitted by benotwofeathers... on
Awesome I really want to learn Saulteaux I have figured out there is a high Saulteaux and a low in the city of Winnipeg the high is up in Fairford.

maria  Boblitz  (  Fleck  )'s picture
maria Boblitz ...
Submitted by maria Boblitz ... on
This is great! I have been try to learn Lakota on my own

My family is looking for gadgetry to assist us to do same as we are new to high tech but we carry the old dialect of Ojibway, Odawa & Pottawotomi.

The German translated Ojibway dictionary has only 47% content and most nasal and gut sounds are too condensed. Most words are not in the so called reference books as it is.

CHERYLE's picture
CHERYLE
Submitted by CHERYLE on
Sandy Bay Ojibway First Nation in ALBERTA? DOesn't exist. Unless you mean MANITOBA

Robert M Dumond sr's picture
Robert M Dumond sr
Submitted by Robert M Dumond sr on
I am Micmac and acadian French I so need to learn the Micmac Language Can you help it is a form of Algonquin Dumond.robert@ymail .com

wanita gagne's picture
wanita gagne
Submitted by wanita gagne on
I,VE ALWAY WANTED TO LEARN A NATIVE LANGUAGE WHERE I HAVE INDIAN IN MY BLOOD THIS WILL BE FANTASTIC

wanita gagne's picture
wanita gagne
Submitted by wanita gagne on
DO THEY HAVE OTHER INDIAN LANGUAGES TO LEARN OUT THERE LIKE CHEROKEE ?

wanita gagne's picture
wanita gagne
Submitted by wanita gagne on
DO THEY HAVE OTHER INDIAN LANGUAGES TO LEARN OUT THERE LIKE CHEROKEE ?

wanita gagne's picture
wanita gagne
Submitted by wanita gagne on
DO THEY HAVE OTHER INDIAN LANGUAGES TO LEARN OUT THERE LIKE CHEROKEE ?

Francis J. Mishibinijima's picture
Francis J. Mish...
Submitted by Francis J. Mish... on
Hello Friend: I am currently employed at the Mamaweswen: The North Shore Tribal Council in Cutler Ont. I was very interested in your story. I am the Anishinabemowin Project Coordinator here and I am planning a Summit June 11, 12, 13th, 2013 at the Mississauga First Nation. This is a strategic planning session that will hopefully be implemented in the Seven First Nations that the NSTC provides technical services to. I have read a lot of material and I have not come across this approach. I have heard about it at a Conference in Sudbury and it was suggested that we NSTC to the same thing. Perhaps there is a way we can "work together".

Susan Freed-Held's picture
Susan Freed-Held
Submitted by Susan Freed-Held on
Thank you so much. My grandmother was from White Earth, MN, Elizabeth Bender Roe Cloud, and I have wanted to learn my native languages for years. I am 70 and it's not too late! I am so proud of you brother! I am also Winnebago. Susan

cheryl taylor's picture
cheryl taylor
Submitted by cheryl taylor on
Hello there. I believe this is great. I lost my ojibway language when I went to my first foster home when I was 6 years old. I am still wanting to learn my language. Awesome. I am 56 years old now. I would like to go back to my Reserve and say Hello, How are you doing today in my language.