Pine Ridge: Do You Want to Know More?
The recent episode of the ABC news show 20/20, "Hidden America: Children of the Plains," has sparked national interest in the stories of the people living on Pine Ridge. As demonstrated by the show, Pine Ridge is a site of historical injustice, it is a place with many problems, and yet it is also the setting for stories of hope. Here are a few of the many stories about Pine Ridge we've reported on during the past nine months:
- Telling another story, from another time, about children on the rez: "Filmmaker Chronicles Walter Littlemoon’s Emergence from ‘The Thick Dark Fog’"
- An example of how austerity measures hurt those who can least afford it: "Wounded Knee Post Office Under Siege, Citizens Fear Losing a Critical Service"
- Housing is needed -- why not make it affordable and sustainable too?: "Hope for Housing on Pine Ridge"
- A noted photographer and street artists work together to raise awareness: "Aaron Huey, Shepard Fairey, and Ernesto Yerena Billboard Campaign for Pine Ridge"
- The story of Beau LeBeau, an obese former athlete trying to save his own life by returning to a traditional diet: "Oglala Lakota Man Reclaims His Health in Documentary ‘Good Meat’"
- Good news from the vaunted Red Cloud High School: "Red Cloud Students Lead Nation in Bill and Melinda Gates Millennium Scholarship Recipients"
- Distressed? Yes. Defeated? Never: "Sioux Forgo $1B, Continue Fight to Reclaim Black Hills"
RELATED PINE RIDGE STORIES:
#1 Your birthday becomes an international event. Reason #2 Feeds have become the talk of town Reason #3 Upload Pictures, Videos and create Blogs Next Reason Sign Up Subscribe MOST POPULAR Texas Governor Rick Perry Perry Touts Immigration Record While Supporter Praises ‘The Response’ for Breaking ‘Cannibal’ Indians’ ‘Curses on the Land’ Redhouse Family Jazz Band Redhouse Family of Musicians Puts a Navajo Spin on Jazz Protesters against Keystone XL and Oil Sands in Ottawa More than 100 Arrested at Anti-Keystone Protest in Ottawa FNX Goes Live FNX Native Television Channel Launches GuyFieriIndianTaco Food Network’s Guy Fieri Makes an Indian Taco at Tocabe See All See More Video Lakota Berenstain Bears Episode 1B Lakota Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist Activists at the Canada-Europe Round Table for Energy ‘Oil Orgy’ Interrupts UK-Canada Oil Sands Talks W. Ron Allen was honored by Ernie Stevens Jr. at the Global Gaming Expo. W. Ron Allen Named Indian Gaming Advocate of the Year Lakota Berenstain Bears Episode 1A Lakota Berenstain Bears Trouble at School National Indian Education Association Mary Jane Oatman-Wak Wak National Indian Education Association 42nd Annual Convention and Tradeshow This Month See All See More SCHOLARSHIPS Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Annie D. Wauneka Scholarship Miss Indian USA Scholarship Program American Public University International Order of the King’s Daughters and Sons Nihewan Scholarship Native American Education Grants American Indian Science and Engineering Society Northwest Indian Bar Association Scholarship Program First Americans in the Arts Scholarship See All See All NATIVE AMERICAN STUDIES University of Saskatchewan University of California – Los Angeles Cornell University University of Washington - School of Law Southeastern Oklahoma State University San Francisco State University First Nations University of Canada Cape Breton University University of Kansas University of Manitoba See All See All TRIBAL COLLEGES Turtle Mountain Community College Sinte Gleska University Dine The Evergreen State College Saginaw Chippewa Tribal College Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe Community College Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute Navajo Technical College Sisseton Wahpeton College Northwest Indian College See All See All POW WOW ALERTS Waccamaw-Siouan Tribal Pow Wow Buckhead near Bulton, N.C. October 14, 2011 to October 15, 2011 Subscribe Pine Ridge Business Wins Innovation Award, Faces Challenges from Fast Expansion" href="../2011/08/pine-ridge-business-wins-innovation-award-faces-challenges-from-fast-expansion/" target="_self">Pine Ridge Business Wins Innovation Award, Faces Challenges from Fast Expansion