Excerpt from Statement of Unity adopted by chiefs meeting with the Assembly of First Nations on December 6, 2012. (Courtesy Chiefs of Ontario)

Canada's Senate Passes Bill C-45 as Aboriginals Vow Not to Honor It

12/14/12

Bill C-45 passed 50–27 as aboriginals across Canada continued protesting under the motto “Idle No More,” and Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence began her fourth day of a hunger strike to protest abhorrent reserve conditions.

The bill will be sent to the Governor General and become law once he signs it, the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network reported. Conservative Algonquin Senator Patrick Brazeau, who voted in favor of the bill, told APTN that many chiefs supported it and that fear mongering had led to a misunderstanding of the bill. Many First Nations claim the bill undermines sovereignty and treaty rights, with some even going so far as to say that Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government is trying to terminate all their rights.

The bill amends the Fisheries Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, hte Navigable Waters Protection Act and the Canada Labour Code, according to the Chiefs of Ontario. First Nations reacted immediately and strongly to the passage, citing the lack of consultation with First Nations during the creation of a bill that profoundly affects aboriginals' daily lives.

“Bill C-45 will not be enforced or recognized by their First Nations," said a statement released by the Chiefs of Ontario in conjunction with the Nishnawbe Aski Nation, Anishinabek Nation, Grand Council Treaty No. 3, Association of Iroquois and Allied Indians, and Independent first Nations.

“At no time in the nine months that Bill C-45 was being considered did the Government of Canada discuss any matters related to it with First Nations—this bill breaches Canada’s own laws on the fiduciary legal duty to consult and accommodate First Nations," said Assembly of First Nations (AFN) Ontario Regional Chief Stan Beardy in the statement. "The Canadian government just gave birth to a monster.”

Chiefs unanimously adopted a Statement of Unity at the Assembly of First Nations' conference on December 6, 2012.

Resolution Adopted by First Nations Chiefs (Courtesy Chiefs of Ontario)

Comments

My family are Cree and Micmaq from Canada. I live in the U.S. and am the Bear Clan Chief for my nation. My elders constantly talk about peace instead of violence which I see with Chief Spencers hunger strike. Unfortunately, to these ignorant people it will be just one more dead Indian. I contact different nations concerning what is happening in Canada, (Mohegan, Narragansett, Wampinoag and several others) and I'm telling you there are alot of upset people. I don't hear much talk about peace over violence anymore. If we do not stand for ourselves, we might as well lay down and let them walk over us again. We need a super counsel. All Natives from North America meet and discuss what we can do to stop the violence against our women and children, to stop the theft of funds, the raping and poisoning of Mother Earth, the overall desimation of our culture and way of life. THIS HAS TO STOP NOW!!

In reading the 30 comments already up, I believe we are headed to an Oka again, I know that most people in the big city centers only think about these issues when its on the news, but I live in a smaller northern ontario community that is neigboring several native reserve communities. I have several native friends and a sister in-law of native descent. We all enjoy taking full advantage of our natural enviroment that surrounds us here. I consider this my land, and I don't feel that aboriginals hold exclusive claim to this country, within my circle there have been several heated discussions about this issue. Residential schools are an ugly part of our countries history, driven by a religious strangle hold that our culture has finally shaken off, the church and the government have been wrong about a great many things. The history of the 'white man' stealing away the country from the aboriginals is well know and would not be tolerated in todays world, this has occured a great man times all down the western hemisphere, many tribes completely wiped out, a true genocide. But I live here and now, in todays world, my family immigrated to Canada in 1949, and had no part of this terrible history. Now repreations have been due and have been paid, but when is it enough. I see hunger strike is the new tool to force the government into action, but really, how much is enough, how many time do we rebuild Attawapiskat, who is responsible there to the people that live there, the Prime Minister, the Premier, the Chief, the Council, where does the buck stop. Where is the responsibityof the the people living there, it seems now no one can do for themselves, the government has to come to the rescue, where are the male leaders there, getting teens out upgrading and repairing their community. I have seen examples of this across Canada, after natural disasters you get together and dig out of the hole your in, don't just throw your arms in the air. Chief Spence's energy would be much better served rallying her community to get on with it them selves, be the leader, show others the way. I see a new development recently here in my area that really has me concerned and may lead to real problems in the future. On crown land all over to the north of our communities, Native band members are setting up, so called, Spirit Lodges, no one from the Ministry of the Enviroment, or Nat. Resourses is even trying to stop this or make them take them out of the bush, but if I did the same thing, I would probably be fined, and billed for the removal of the structure and enviromental cleanup. This double standard is starting to strain relationships between natives and whites here, this double standard of treatment, a feeling of being punished for no wrong doing, people in Toronto or Ottawa probably don't feel this, but here we do, it is getting worse, I see people starting to carry concealed weapons in the bush, where natives and non would get together and have a beer on the lake while ice fishing, now it's getting aliitle combative, I personally have been called a 'peasant' because some native individuals here think it is funny that we have to pay to hunt, fish, trap, and use the land, that's great a peasant who pays a great deal of property and income tax and still isn't as free as the people who are jumping up and down and claiming their rights are being trampled on. I think I have done a good job of not buying into stereotypes, judging every book by its cover and I hate to think that this type of issue is splitting us all up. Sorry for being so long winded!

I get it "as long as the sun shines, the grass grows and the rivers flow" why is it so hard for people to see the planet as a living thing. All these people want to do is protect the water that we all drink. What is the problem in that?

This is all a bit disturbing. The aboriginals were NOT the first peoples in north america. At this point in "history" we are all in canada and we are all here to stay. What your ancestors did or did not do is not the dictation of what needs to happen moving forward. This is a new time and it requires new ideas and new attitudes to have a positive impact on working and living together. Having said that, I am a bit tired of hearing about how bill c45 is affecting the aboriginals and "their" rights but not one has quoted a single exerpt or referred to any sections/statements contained in the bill that supports these allegations. If you have something concrete to say, then back it up!

First Nations People are gathering in numbers in Oklahoma City today. Each one standing for their rights and Treaties. Their voices will be heard far and wide and may the Creator protect them all as they gather, bringing numerous Tribes together in Oklahoma as one and making their voices heard through out the land for the People of Turtle Island whoses Treaties have been broken and telling the world that they WILL NOT tolerate these broken Treaties. May the Creator be with all and help all that are letting their voices be heard.

It is time for a fight with the gov , no more peace with them, they will never show us respect with our treaties that was created years ago. We need to show the rest that there is no need for gov to push over people once again, its been happening. time is now! we will show and prove to ALL NATIONS what we stand for, for those who don't understand our cause, blame it on the education system or media or false preachers. its not hard to come to us and ask us why the gov aint keeping up their part of Treaty!! not anonymous email knox2deadly@hotmail.com We shaw Rise with ALL NATIONS

Omg!!! Really? Aboriginals are soooo upset about mistreatment 100 years ago, and we've been paying ever since... Um. The Jews are over it... Slaves got over it, u still get a free ride, so perhaps you should get over it too.

Idle no more will lose in the end..Its inevitable that your handouts will stop..look at the economical times..in order to have a financial future we must stop, It will only be better..cant the idle no more people realize this..I live near 4 reserves and i watched all the handouts..housing,trucks,land,easy no payback loans..and if you seen what has happened to all that..well i am sure you know..ALL DESTROYED..sad really..

UM. OK, I have white skin but my mum is Metis. Her mum was Native. I agree with and support "Idle no More". I believe that this land belongs to First Nations. The other people came here so long ago that their families also believe it's their land. No Canadian born here in this generation deliberately took anything. It was done a long time ago. We need to remember this please.

I agree as most of the others have stated, when does the hand outs stop. I understand that Rez life can be hard, I see it. Bottom line, if you don't like the current situation your in.....Change it. IE, get a job, leave the Rez, your life sucks because you choose to live it that way. I believe if the hand outs stop the native people would in fact gain the self respect and respect for belongings that is needed. I live close to 3 reservations in eastern Alberta, when you drive through you can defiantly tell where you are. The discusting thing is that a lot of the homes are within 10 years old......run down, siding and doors missing, houses look like they are 50 years old not 10. I couldn't even imagine allowing my property or vehicles to turn to shit, I work my ass off 5 days per week to pay my 40% income tax and support my family. If we allow the native people to continue to collect welfare and not be a active part of society, they will never know what it is like to have to EARN something for them selves.

I just got home from a train ride from Toronto that was delayed in Belleville for nearly 5 hours because natives decided to show their support for Chief Theresa Spence by parking a bus on the tracks and making 15 trains and over 6000 people wait for them to move. If they truly wanted to support her they should have loaded up that bus and driven to Ottawa to fast with her instead of pissing off people who until this happened probably were on their side. Protestors, Native or otherwise, need to figure out a better way to show their support other than pissing off people who most likely already sympathised with them.

Enough is enough. Let this chief Spence starve herself into the ground. And any other person who thinks that they are being persecuted or mistreated. I hope Harper sticks to his guns and comepletely disregards this poor attempt at modern day terrorism. Wipe out the Indian act, get rid of reserves and stop all the handouts. Time for the natives of Canada to pay like the rest of us. My ancestors came to Canada from Europe in the 1700's and this land is as much mine as the next guys. Call out the army, use whatever force is necessary to remove this blockades and protesters. I'll gaurantee you that Harper has more support than people think if he chooses to stand up for Canadians. It's time for people to stop hiding their true opinions on the Indian act and all that it stands for and show some support for a Prime Minister that has finally shown some conviction when it comes to an outdated and failure of an act.

Why is it every time i ask a FIRST NATION MEMBER about getting or seeing a copy of the TREATY they say is not being respected.. i was at the IDLE NO MORE protest at POLO PARK MALL ,ST VITAL MALL ,AND ON NEW YEAR EVE ON PORTAGE AND MAIN.

Why is it i can't get or see a copy of the TREATY that the first nation say is not being honoured I for one is having a tough time understanding whats going on if i can't get any accurate information.I BELIEVE if the member of the FIRST NATION would give the citizens of CANADA some facts about what going on ,they would receive a lot more support. STRENGTH IN NUMBERS PEOPLE..I was at the IDLE NO MORE RALLY AT POLO PARK MALL ,ST VITAL SHOPPING CENTRE ,AND PORTAGE AND MAIN.I asked a number of FIRST nations people who were at the rally about the treaty and whats in it and the answer from most of them IS they didn't KNOW or was told to ask the chiefs.WE THE PEOPLE OF CANADA HAVE THE RIGHT TO STAND UP FOR OURSELFS IF WE CAN'T GET ANY ACCURATE INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT GOING ON.

How does giving First nations power to lease their land violate their Treaty rights? Perhaps if the First nations people had real leadership that they could trust ,they may actually be empowered. Its time that they started seeking a hand up rather than looking for a handout. They have an equal oportunity in life to become unequal.

Natives lost the war... just like hundreds of other countries did when they were invaded. It's not your land anymore... get over it. Canada is a multi-cultural country... and we will not cater to one particular race. The fact that the aboriginals get so many handouts and don't pay taxes is racist in itself.

Across time and history when people are conquered, they either rise up or assimilate into the conquering culture. Aboriginals need to figure that out and address their needs from within the system.

As I understand not many Canadians have mineral rights and it is possible that all reserves have no mineral rights either ? this could be a very serious issue that needs to be addressed .

Mixed feelings!!! The land is your's, we give it all back. Canadians are less then 1% of the worlds population. You have my support, where would you like me to start?

im afraid harper playing dictator just opened up the flood gates to hell

I find it hard to agree that blocking the road so I can't get to work is projecting HARMONY and I believe there is a lack of RESPECT towards those that need to get to places such as work. It's Canadian Land which belongs to Canadians not just 1st nations (who weren't the first people to inhabit what is now know as Canada).

to the person who states we get everything free....well, sorry we don't ,we pay taxes and pay for what we need to live here just as you do. i work 40 hours a week sometimes more if i am lucky to get overtime. if we buy groceries like you anything taxable we pay the taxes same as you. so dont go off thinking that we get everything for free. it is a false statement when you hear the first nations people get every thing free, for it is false people think if you live on a reserve your housing is free, wrong, rent is paid to live there, one can never own property on a reserve for the reserve belongs to the government. so we are equal in every way. they say our medical is free, no, your mistaken there as well, i have always paid for my glasses, and i pay for dental, nothing in life is free. you are guaranteed 2 things in life death and taxes no matter who you are.

Anonymous And Upset's picture
Anonymous And Upset
Submitted by Anonymous And Upset on
Corrupt politicians. When are the crazies of the world going to stop shooting children in schools and start shooting politicians. World history shows that no country in the world has ever had politicians that are not corrupt. Maybe if we started shooting politicians they would start acting more responsibly. Why are the people of the world acting like sheep ...???

Maybe we'll sign new treaties with President Obama or Others great leaders like China and invite them to shove these Crown laws back to England and those who love the royal family. The asian community is great from what i see. I never hear any racist remarks from them, only questions. Not like our so called high society well educated white community, who act like the real savages. SAVAGES!!

Annon Please please show where bill c45 is doing any harm to you and I may believe your rantings.