You can visit and browse Indian Country Today Media Network.com without revealing personally identifiable information about yourself. You may also choose to disclose personally identifiable information about yourself. Personally identifiable information is information that relates to and can be identified with a unique individual person.
Information That You Provide
Registration – When you register on Indian Country Today Media Network.com,, you provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including your name, email address, postal address, and telephone number. You also provide us with personally identifiable information when you register for the Social Network on Indian Country Today Media Network.com.
Newsletters – If you want to receive our newsletter, you will be asked to provide certain information so that we can fulfill your request. We may ask you for certain personally identifiable information which includes, without limitation, your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, and areas of interest.
Site activity information –We keep track of some of the actions you take on Indian Country Today Media Network.com, such as adding connections (including joining a group or adding a friend) and creating a photo album. In some cases you are also taking an action when you provide information or content to us. For example, if you share a video, in addition to storing the actual content you uploaded, we might log the fact that you shared it.
Certain downloadable software applications and applets that we offer, such as our photo uploader, transmit data to us. We may not make a formal disclosure if we believe our collection of and use of the information is the obvious purpose of the use of such application, such as the fact that we receive photos when you use our photo uploader. If we believe it is not obvious that we are collecting or using such information, we will make a disclosure to you the first time you provide the information to us so that you can decide whether you want to use that feature.
Information Collected Automatically
When you visit Indian Country Today Media Network.com, like when you visit most other websites, certain anonymous information about your visit is automatically logged, includingthe server name, browser type and IP address through which you access the internet, the date and time you access our site, the pages you access while at Indian Country Today Media Network.com, and the internet address of the website, if any, from which you linked directly to Indian Country Today Media Network.com, which we sometimes aggregate with similar information from other customers to help improve or promote our service.
Clear GIFs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs) -- We employ a software technology called clear GIFs (sometimes called web beacons or web bugs), to learn what content users find effective. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of users. We may tie information collected through the use of Clear GIFs to users’ personally identifiable information.
Clear GIFs can “work with” existing cookies on a computer if they are both from the same web site. For example, clear GIFs enable us to match the Clear GIF identifier with a cookie ID number to show the past online behavior for a particular computer.
In addition, we use clear GIFs in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by the recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
Content – One of the reasons to use Indian Country Today Media Network.com is to share content with others. Examples include when you upload a photo, video, share a link, comment on a story, post an obituary or send someone a message. If you do not want us to store metadata associated with content you share on Indian Country Today Media Network.com (such as photos), please remove the metadata before uploading the content. We may display your user name and information from your profile (including your image if you have uploaded one) in connection with content you post.
Information from Other Sources – We may receive information about you from other sources, such as when you communicate with other site users, data compiled from our advertising partners, such as how you responded to an ad, or data from other social media sites.
Location Data – We receive data from the computer, mobile device, or any other device you use to access Indian Country Today Media Network.com. If you access Indian Country Today Media Network.com via a mobile device, we may receive information about your actual location through the GPS signals sent from your mobile device.
Sharing on the Indian Country Today Media Network.com
Please always consider your Privacy Control Settings, which can be found on the left-hand column menu on all Profile Pages in Community, prior to sharing content or information on Indian Country Today Media Network.com.
- Public Profile: In order to allow for Indian Country Today Media Network.com users to find and connect with other users, your name, user picture and display name do not have privacy settings. If you do not wish for your picture to be available, you are under no obligation to provide one to us.
- Information Visible to all Indian Country Today Media Network.com Users: Your friends, events and posts will always be visible to all Indian Country Today Media Network.com users, your groups will also be visible to all users, unless you select the “hidden group” option.
- Other Information: Your Privacy Control Settings will also allow you to select who may see the various information you decide to provide in connection with your Indian Country Today Media Network.com profile, such as your Account Information (Birthday, Tribe), Basic Information (Sex, Relationship, Current City, etc), Your Work and Education, Your Likes and Interests and Your Contact Information.
- If you select “Everyone” for any of these categories (or subcategories) of information, such information will be publicly available to everyone on the internet, and not just Indian Country Today Media Network.com users or your friends. It may also be indexed by third party search engines and may be distributed, exported and imported without restrictions regarding your privacy. You may see such information be associated with you on other sites or on search engines. Our default setting for your information is Everyone, so if you are uncomfortable with sharing this information publicly, please customize your Privacy Control Settings accordingly.
If you use a different source to share information on Indian Country Today Media Network.com (such as an application on a mobile device), that source’s privacy settings will apply, so please check the applicable terms of such source prior sharing any information in that manner.
Indian Country Today Media Network.com’s Use of Your Information:
Your information is important to us. We use the personally identifiable information we collect through Indian Country Today Media Network.com only for such purposes described below:
- Maintaining the security and integrity of our systems (e.g., helping to establish and verify the identity of users);
- processing and servicing your works and other activities and sending related communications.
Disclosure of Information to Third Parties
We will only share information we have received about you with others as set forth below. If we need to share information about you for any other reason, we will obtain your consent before doing so.
- We may share, rent, sell, or otherwise disclose your information to unaffiliated third parties. We may share your information with third parties as part of a list rental service, whereby we work with unaffiliated third parties who wish to expand their potential customer list. In the event you do not wish for your information to be shared with third parties for such purposes, please review your privacy control settings to confirm that you have declined to participate in our list rental program. We will not sell your information we receive from third parties if disclosure would violate any policy of the third party.
- We may disclose personally identifiable information to unaffiliated service companies to help us maintain and operate Indian Country Today Media Network.com or for other reasons related to the operation of our own business or marketing. We require these service-related companies to take steps to maintain the confidentiality of any personally identifiable information they may receive from us to perform their functions, consistent with our Policy, and they may not use this information for any other purpose.
- Information you’ve elected to share with everyone, as well as your name, profile picture, and display name can be seen by anyone on the internet. It will be visible to anyone viewing your profile and third party applications and websites you use will be able to access it. Although your name, profile picture, gender, networks and username will be visible to anyone one the internet, you may control what other information is publicly available by adjusting the Privacy Control Settings section of your profile.
- When you enter into transactions with others or make payments on Indian Country Today Media Network.com, we will share transaction information with only those third parties necessary to complete the transaction.
- You may choose to share information with marketers or electronic commerce providers that are not associated with Indian Country Today Media Network.com through on-site offers. This is entirely at your discretion and we will not provide your information to these marketers without your consent.
- Sometimes we share aggregated information with third parties to help improve or promote our service. But we only do so in such a way that no individual user can be identified or linked to any specific action or information.
- We may conduct joint promotions with other companies or use a sweepstakes administrator. We may share with such companies (and their service providers) certain personally identifiable information as necessary to conduct the promotion. We will not share this information with our promotional partners for any other purpose without your prior consent. We require these companies to take steps to maintain the confidentiality of any personally identifiable information they may receive from us, and require them to use such information only for legitimate business purposes associated with us.
- We may ask third party advertisers to display ads promoting our services. We may ask them to deliver those ads based on the presence of a cookie, but in doing so will not share any other information with the advertiser.
- We may disclose personally identifiable information about you in connection with legal requirements, such as in response to an authorized subpoena, governmental request or investigation, or as otherwise required by law.
- As our business develops, we may sell, buy, or transfer corporate assets, and in such transactions customer information may be one of the transferred business assets. Also, in the event that Indian Country Today Media Network.com, ourselves, or substantially all of our assets are acquired, personally identifiable information may be one of the assets transferred in such acquisition.
- We use a third-party advertising company to serve ads when you visit our Web site. This company may collect and use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visit to this Web site in order to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you. In the course of serving advertisements to this site, our third-party advertiser may place or recognize a unique “cookie” on your browser. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by this company, please click here: http://www.doubleclick.net/us/corporate/privacy
Changing or Updating Information
Deactivating or deleting your Indian Country Today Media Network.comaccount – If you want to stop using your account you may delete it. When you delete an account, it is permanently deleted from Indian Country Today Media Network.com. You should only delete your account if you are certain you never want to reactivate it.
Deactivating or deleting your social networking account – If you want to stop using your Indian Country Today Media Network.com’s social network account you may delete it. When you delete an account, it is permanently deleted from Indian Country Today Media Network.com. You should only delete your account if you are certain you never want to reactivate it. You may deactivate your account by going to your profile page and clicking “Settings” and “Delete Account” on your profile page. Please remember that even if you delete your account, some copies of you information may remain on Indian Country Today Media Network.com to the extent it was shared with others or had been copied by other users while it was available and visible to them, prior to the deactivation of your account. Certain types of communications that you send to other users cannot be removed, such as messages, obituaries or comments on articles.
Editing your social networking profile –You may change or remove your profile information on the Indian Country Today Media Network.com’s social network at any time by going to your profile page and clicking “Edit” as to any of the aspects of and information in your profile. Information will be updated immediately.
Backup copies –Removed and deleted information may persist in backup copies, but will not be available to others.
Children under the age of 13 are prohibited from registering for Indian Country Today Media Network.com. We do not solicit or knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If we nevertheless receive personally identifiable information from an individual who indicates that he or she is, or whom we otherwise have reason to believe is, under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our systems. We reserve the right to add special protections for and restrictions on any users under the age of eighteen, in order to provide for an age-appropriate experience for such users.
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to help guard your personal information. We restrict access to personally identifiable information to those persons who need to know that information to provide products or services to you and any persons you have authorized to have access to such information. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services, and you use these services at your own risk. We may keep this information and archive such information at our discretion.
Indian Country Today Media Network.com has taken measures to ensure that transacting on the website is a safe and enjoyable experience for our valued users. We use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology, the industry standard for secure online transactions, to encrypt your personal credit information, including your credit card number, before it travels over the internet. As a result of our use of SSL technology, making a payment with Indian Country Today Media Network.com is just as safe as providing your credit card number over the telephone. In the unlikely event of credit card fraud, we will work with your credit card company to resolve the issue. Typically, credit card holders are not responsible for any fraudulent charges.
Additionally, and in accordance with industry custom, Indian Country Today Media Network.com enforces commercially reasonable security measures which are commensurate with the sensitivity of the personal information (including encryption using SSL technology) in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of personal information that we have collected from you on Indian Country Today Media Network.com.
In order to provide service to you, we will send you communications related to your activities, security or the administration of Indian Country Today Media Network.com. From time to time, we and our affiliates may also wish to send you other messages or updates about our services, promotions, and other activities. If you do not wish to receive such promotional communications from us and our affiliates please send an email containing your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, as listed in newsletter e-mail messages. Even if you opt-out in this manner, however, you may still receive account-related and non-commercial messages from us. To get placed on our “DO NOT EMAIL” list, send a request to email@example.com. If your email address is added to the “DO NOT EMAIL” list, you will not receive any newsletters or other opt-in email messages.
Transmission of Information
California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code § 1798.83 permits customers who are California residents to request certain information regarding disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not provide your personal information to any third party for their direct marketing purposes without your consent. If you would like to revoke consent already provided, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org “California Opt-Out” in the subject line. This opt-out will not prevent the use of information that has already been disclosed to third parties with your consent. Please contact such third parties directly to opt-out from such communications. If you would like more information with respect to your privacy rights under California law, please send an email to email@example.com with “California Disclosure Information” in the subject line.
Revision date: October 7, 2012