Associated Press

10 New Mascots for Dan Snyder’s ‘Redskins’

11/9/13

If you’re not part of a Fantasy Football League this NFL season, you might want to start some kind of bidding pot for what the Washington football team’s new name might be. Not to suggest that the team’s owner, Dan Snyder, has decided to change the name, but just in case he has a change of heart, there are options.

Hundreds of new mascot designs for the Washington team were submitted to the web site 99 Designs, which asks graphic artists to compete in designing logos for clients.

Let’s be honest, almost any one of these would be better than the one they currently have.

1.     This alternative was submitted by Slate editor David Plotz. Ode to RG III?

2.      Ken Meringolo and Kevin Ewoldt of SB Nation offered up the Washington Renegades.

3.     If the real Redtails say that this is ok, then why not?

4.     Pick a name, any name…

5.    Robert McCartney of the Washington Post suggested the Washington Warriors.

These next few logos weren’t part of the design contest.

6.   Actually, this one's not too far off from one of the suggestions that were made by a Yahoo contributor. A tempting idea for a political city.

7.     According to KorkedBats.com this one might offend cavemen. Darn.

8.     And then there’s this one. Hmmm.

9.     How ‘bout them…Pigskins?

10.  Take away the feathers and we have a winner!

Do you have a favorite?

Comments

Steve Russell's picture
Steve Russell
Submitted by Steve Russell on

Let them keep the current name provided they move the team to Washington State and the mascot becomes a potato. Let Dan Quayle design the logo, since he's now had enough spelling practice.

The choices are numerous and these are great! 's picture
The choices are...
Submitted by The choices are... on

The choices are numerous and these are great! Severe Racist Laws=Severe Human Casualties. Time to stop casualties in the NFL!

Linda B's picture
Linda B
Submitted by Linda B on

My snarky suggestion is Washington Crackers.
My real suggestions would be the Washington Javas or the Washington Vibrations...

Roberta Hunter's picture
Roberta Hunter
Submitted by Roberta Hunter on

Like the idea of the Griffins or the Renegades. They are names that should not cause any dispute.

Ed monarque's picture
Ed monarque
Submitted by Ed monarque on

Some of those are pretty good. But allow me to give a few idea's. Just names though. The Washington Warriors. The Washington Militia. The Washington Minute Man. The Washington Colonials. The Washington D.C.'s. The Washington Capitals. Or the Washington Senators. Hows that?

Caleb O'Fell's picture
Caleb O'Fell
Submitted by Caleb O'Fell on

I think they should keep their current name. They've been the Redskins for over 50 years, and there are certain tribes who are just now getting offended? If they have nothing else better to complain about, they have nothing to complain about! I'm part Cherokee and Creek ( Seminole ), and I don't find it offensive! Stop all the hype and complain about something worth complaining about!

JimDel's picture
JimDel
Submitted by JimDel on

I heard a guy in the bar the other day,say, they were all a bunch oh over paid Pricks,so i was thinkin,--- Washington Foreskins !

Gail O'Neal's picture
Gail O'Neal
Submitted by Gail O'Neal on

I like Washington Warriors, it has a nice ring to it. And a tribute to our military on the helmet.

Felshneck's picture
Felshneck
Submitted by Felshneck on

Washington Foreskins?
Make your own drawing with that.

Brenda  Murray's picture
Brenda Murray
Submitted by Brenda Murray on

Washington Warriors or Pigskins., I don't like the Warrior 'icons'. Pick something else.

dwayne cooper   t'sou-ke nation member 's picture
dwayne cooper ...
Submitted by dwayne cooper ... on

im proud too wear my redskins jersey and cheer for my redskins every week for the past 30 years. will u stop whinning about a name. that logo is the only reason I like the redskins. if that is the only thing u have to complain about, then u need a life cause there is lots the government ( USA and Canada ) have done and still does to us natives. when u change all that we can bitch about the redskins.
dwayne

IN MY OPINION THIS IS REDICULOUS.IT IS A NAME, I AM NATIVE AMERICAN AND THE NAME DOES NOT OFFEND ME AT ALL.I AM PROUD OF ''MY REDSKIN'', TOO DAM MANY ''HOLIER THAN THOU'' FOLKS!!