Sage-Burning Student Who Was Smoked Out of Classes May File Human Rights Complaint
The district added that it is reviewing the way cultural practices are covered under its no-scent policy. Meanwhile, Stephen said, he has spoken to many students with allergies, none of whom have had any problems with the odor. Now, in the wake of widespread media attention, he said the school has not bothered him despite the fact that he never stopped burning sage at home.
“I've still continued to smudge, and I just act like nothing's happened,” Stephen said. “I just go to school to learn and do what I gotta do. We're still working on the situation with the school.”
Stephen is considering filing a human rights complaint, and he wants schools across North America to learn about aboriginal practices, including recognizing the difference between the smells of burning sage and marijuana. He also has some advice for other students who may face similar challenges.
“Just stick to what you believe in and fight for it,” he told ICTMN. “What the schools are doing is wrong. You should be able to practice your beliefs.”
You need to be logged in in order to post comments
Please use the log in option at the bottom of this page