Associated Press
Denzel Washington

Denzel Washington Says 'Washington' not 'Redskins' During Interview

9/11/14

Denzel Washington does not appear to be a fan of the Washington football team’s name.

While promoting his new movie The Equalizer, Washington was asked by movie reviewer Kevin McCarthy about Redskins Quarterback RG III, and this dialogue ensued:

“You know RGIII, the quarterback for the Redskins, right?” McCarthy asked.

“The quarterback for who?” Denzel Washington with a cheeky grin.

“The Redskins,” McCarthy said. “Washington Redskins.”

“Washington,” Washington said correcting McCarthy.

“Oh, we can’t say the name anymore, I know,” McCarthy said to Washington who started laughing. “I know. I know … “

Could Washington’s response break the mold for how Hollywood’s A-listers think about the team's name? That is yet to be seen. But, while we wait, watch this:

Comments

Flower's picture
Flower
Submitted by Flower on
Much respect to Denzel for acknowledging Native voices who do not like the team name.

marten's picture
marten
Submitted by marten on
We should let him know we appreciate his support. Do Indians ever think to thank their supporters? Well, that's how you get more support. It doesn't take tremendous effort to google his name and address.

Michael Madrid's picture
Michael Madrid
Submitted by Michael Madrid on
I'd like to think that many of Hollywood's best would take our side in this issue, but I can already hear the Conservative complaints; . . . blah, blah, blah Hollywood elitists, blah, blah, blah liberal media, blah, blah, blah Obama . . .

tmsyr11's picture
tmsyr11
Submitted by tmsyr11 on
Great actor, bad movies (lately), generous, and SMART! Denzel is cool! Dateline 2005 - When those "anti-American" crowds in the United States were loud and proud, Denzel still somehow managed to make a big montary donation to the Fischer House for wounded GIs coming back from fighting. Something that those Hollywood Elitists never showed. Was he promoting "Washington" as in The Washington…."Washington"? Or did he smartly decide to stay out of the debacle? I could'nt help but notice the grin (and the wheels turning inside his head). NOTE: Very easy for Media to take words out of context - see Dan Synder video on 'what a redskin is'.

Shadowwolf480's picture
Shadowwolf480
Submitted by Shadowwolf480 on
I concur with one of the posters below. We need to thank and show much needed appreciation to all those who support the awesome campaign to change the WA team name. Whether it's "Hollywood elitists" or the "Liberal media" (excluding conservatives pundits such as those on Faux Noise [Fox News]). We need all the support we can get. Much props to Denzel Washington. We Salute You!

sonnyskyhawk's picture
sonnyskyhawk
Submitted by sonnyskyhawk on
I can't outline to you how I will show my support for Denzel, ( he has a few films coming out ) but he did make the point during the interview. A- listers have never impressed me much for being knowledgeable, but what they do have is an International podium, and that is important for what its worth. Denzel will go on to educate others, for sure. THANK YOU, DENZEL, for giving us the voice that to date, only the Internet, through social media, has provided.